Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Charlie Spegal

On 10/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I would definitely agree with this.  I also know that know that getting passed Decatur Central isn't going to be a cake walk.  I know it will take a great game to beat New Pal.  New Pal's schedule is a joke, they even know it, but all they can do is line up and play who is on there.  I would hate to be in a position where you try to better your schedule by dropping an 0-5 football team and adding a 2-3 team, but I give them credit for at least attempting to improve it.  Kyle Ralph, a Saint X Bomber himself, is an outstanding coach and I am sure does the best he can with the struggle that is managing playing a weak schedule.

Congrats to Charlie Spegal on his accomplishments and I wish nothing but the best for that young man and all the great athletes at New Pal.    Charlie doesn't fit the mold of what college programs are looking for in a running back, but he is a great football player and that's why he is getting the preferred walk-on options at Power 5 schools.  Not fitting the mold is not Charlie's fault, there is just certain criteria that immediately make them uncheck your box, height would be my guess in Charlie's case.  I could be wrong but I know other great running backs that took visits and the first thing they do is measure the height and then say thanks for coming and enjoy the game, and they heard nothing else from that school.  Yes it is unfortunate, but that's just the way things are. Like I already said, no hate here, and I know plenty of other Cathedral parents that share the same opinion as myself.  

I look forward to my son and his teammates having the chance to knock off a great team with a historic player.  To beat them would allow my son to say, yeah Charlie Spegal was a tremendous player, but we stopped him from winning state the year he broke the record.  That's not disrespect, but an honor.  You play the game to win and beat the best.  I look forward to that game if both teams are fortunate enough to get there.  Hopefully both teams stay healthy and we see what I would call the most anticipated Regional match up in quit a few years. 

Will history repeat? Brett Law and Co recorded his last TD in the tourney his Sr yr..... Lcc old timers... remember it well... 😌

14 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

CS with 6 more TD’s last night! Great job! Let the haters continue to hate. 

New Pal's first possession began on the 6 yard line after a 5 yard punt from Shelbyville on the one yard yard line. This was after a near safety on second down, and a probable safety on third down that was somehow marked at the one yard line.  It was brutal to watch last night.

• Sad 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:51 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

What would 6-0 Delta look in 4a North with Charlie still there??  

A team i wouldn't want to play. Haa.

Him going to new pal took delta from perhaps a state championship team to a really really good team. 

23 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Safe to say there won't be a need for a Mr. Football front runner post this year? If anyone but this kid wins it..🤤

There will be AT LEAST one, “If he played in the MIC” post though...

GUARANTEED.

Are there any big names as the front runners in the MIC or really anywhere?  I feel like I haven’t heard any names really. 

last year there was always a lot of talk between the Warren RB, Bell, and of course Kizer...but this year I think it’s pretty clear Spegal is the front runner. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Are there any big names as the front runners in the MIC or really anywhere?  I feel like I haven’t heard any names really. 

last year there was always a lot of talk between the Warren RB, Bell, and of course Kizer...but this year I think it’s pretty clear Spegal is the front runner. 

As far as I know there is only 1 kid in the MIC that is even on the “watch list” for it, and I believe that it is Dylan Downing from Carmel (correct me if I’m wrong). It’s unusual that there isn’t at least 2 or 3 quality contenders from the MIC. Spegal will run away with it this year though.

Edited by cg_holmeaid

1 hour ago, cg_holmeaid said:

As far as I know there is only 1 kid in the MIC that is even on the “watch list” for it, and I believe that it is Dylan Downing from Carmel (correct me if I’m wrong). It’s unusual that there isn’t at least 2 or 3 quality contenders from the MIC. Spegal will run away with it this year though.

It’s crazy that we don’t hear any other names really being mentioned. Usually you have like 5-6 guys that get there name thrown out for it. 

19 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

It’s crazy that we don’t hear any other names really being mentioned. Usually you have like 5-6 guys that get there name thrown out for it. 

I believe that Cole Brevard from Carmel also had his name tossed out there before the season. But yeah, weird year in terms of MIC team performance, and outstanding players. Next year should be a year that 5 guys from the MIC will battle for Mr. Football. I got Carson Steele for it next year 😉.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, CaptainHook said:

New Pal's first possession began on the 6 yard line after a 5 yard punt from Shelbyville on the one yard yard line. This was after a near safety on second down, and a probable safety on third down that was somehow marked at the one yard line.  It was brutal to watch last night.

Brutal and not much you can do about it. Just grind through the game, get out of there healthy. Thnk goodness for mandatory running clock after 35 point lead, speeds the game up a bit. On a positive New Pal will have a game at Delta to close out the season prior to playoffs to get fine tuned and primed. Best of luck to the Dragons!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Where does Charlie stand career wise now for all stats? 

10,445 yards - most in state history (Mireles 8,110), 6th all-time nationally
1,024 points - most in state history, 4th all-time nationally
170 touchdowns - most in state hitory

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Where does Charlie stand career wise now for all stats? 

I could see Charlie hitting 11,000 rushing yards for his career, he’s pulling away on All Time Leading Scorers... these #’s are going to stay for a long long time. 

I’m not sure he can break anymore RB records 

Just now, hhpatriot04 said:

Did he play as a freshman @crimsonace1? Miss any games for significant injury? Who is recruiting him? 

Freshman and Sophomore years were at Delta, big numbers there as well, hasn't missed any time at New Pal,  don't think he did at Delta either.  As for your last question...not nearly enough people in my opinion.   Offers from Army and Indiana State,  preferred walk on offers from IU, Purdue and Tennessee 

3 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Freshman and Sophomore years were at Delta, big numbers there as well, hasn't missed any time at New Pal,  don't think he did at Delta either.  As for your last question...not nearly enough people in my opinion.   Offers from Army and Indiana State,  preferred walk on offers from IU, Purdue and Tennessee 

That’s interesting I did not know he transferred to New Pal after his sophomore year.

4 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Ran for 1958 yards and 17 TDs as a freshman for Delta. 

He's being recruited by a number of schools but only has a couple of offers (and a PWO from Tennessee). 

Curious, is anyone looking at him as a defensive player? He wouldn’t be the first Successful HS RB who became a college linebacker (ie. Joe Holland at Purdue).

Edited by Lysander