Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Charlie Spegal

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Curious, is anyone looking at him as a defensive player? He wouldn’t be the first Successful HS RB who became a college linebacker (ie. Joe Holland at Purdue).

He played some LB at Delta. Last year, he rotated in at nose tackle last year when NP played Center Grove. Did a good job, too. 

Good lord.  We're gonna start guessing at it now.  Like I said before, on here, it's not my place to give out that info.  Asking for it is even more out of line.  He's not close to the rule, and could play any HS sport he wants his senior year.  

I know 5 kids across the state in my son's class that sat out a year in middle school for basketball reasons and are now juniors.  Including some that might surprise you.  I hope DT is as diligent in basketball season.

Edited by CaptainHook

11 minutes ago, DT said:

I'm not questioning Charlie's eligibility.  I'm simply curious about his actual age relative to the dominance he has shown against mostly 16 and 17 year old boys.   

The same as his dominance against 18 and 19 year olds when he was a 15 year old boy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, DT said:

I'm not questioning Charlie's eligibility.  I'm simply curious about his actual age relative to the dominance he has shown against mostly 16 and 17 year old boys.   

His dominance is a reflection of his work ethic. I have seen Indystar articles where Coach Ralph says he dedicates himself to the weight room. It definitely has paid off for the young man. Having watched the Cathedral @ New Pal game. There were definitely times he was stopped and tackled for minimal or no gain. The thing is with New Pal you have to play well against their O-line and tackle for 4 quarters. That is not even mentioning that their WR's are one of the more impressive downfield blocking teams I have watched all year. They just keep coming at you and wear you down. Once they wear you down Spegal starts to get to the secondary and ripping off yards in big chunks, he has a deceptive speed to him too.

Perhaps the IHSAA should not have allowed this transfer to occur in the first place

Frankly, Spegals  transfer from Delta to New Pal has upset the natural competitive balance at multiple levels, including the New Pal roster, the Hoosier Heritage Conference and the entirety of both Classes 4a and 5a

If the state allows too much free movement of its top athletes from marginal programs to elite programs, it compromises the true nature of sportsmanship and competitive balance

Just because something falls within the allowable rules and regulations does not necessarily make it right and just.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Perhaps the IHSAA should not have allowed this transfer to occur in the first place

Frankly, Spegals  transfer from Delta to New Pal has upset the natural competitive balance at multiple levels, including the New Pal roster, the Hoosier Heritage Conference and the entirety of both Classes 4a and 5a

If the state allows too much free movement of its top athletes from marginal programs to elite programs, it compromises the true nature of sportsmanship and competitive balance

Just because something falls within the allowable rules and regulations does not necessarily make it right and just.  

Once again, DT confuses college and pro sports with high school athletics, and once again speaks about things he knows little about. The missions of high school and college sports are different. 

The transfer had nothing to do with competitiveness and everything to do with his the family business moving from Muncie to the Indianapolis area, where there are more business opportunities. This was very well-documented two years ago (https://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/05/delta-star-running-back-charlie-spegal-transfers-new-palestine/486430002/). 

The IHSAA approves all transfers unless it is for athletic reasons (this wasn't) or undue influence was used (which didn't happen). It's what's in the best interest of the student. Students move all the time because their parents move without anyone batting an eye. It's not different because one student is an elite athlete. 

• Like 1