West Side at Mishawaka, 7:30 pm
Hammond at Clay, 7 pm
Homewood-Flossmoor (Ill.) at Penn, 7:30 pm
Jimtown at Central, 7 pm
Glenn at Bremen ©, 7 pm
Riley at Adams, 7 pm
St. Joseph at Marian, 7 pm

Washington at Kankakee Valley, 7 pm

Some interesting match-ups.  Andrean/New Prairie, Penn/Homewood-Flossmoor, Jimtown/Central, and of course the Holy War St Joe/Marian

Plenty of interesting games this week.

Riley vs Adams:  Adams better win this one before they start the NIC north grind.

Im pretty interested in the Jimtown v Central game.  Kinda wondering if Central is for real.  With wins against Memorial and Goshen, teams I don’t know much about but don’t think they are football powers.  Jimtown will be a better gauge for me.

Im thinking Marian will take the Holy War.  That would put St Joe at 0-3.  That probably doesn’t happen very often.

I gotta believe NP will avenge the loss last year to the 59ers.  I think Andreas had some pretty significant graduation losses last year, but definitely still have some play makers.

Weekly Predictions:

Andrean VS NP- I'm going to go with the NIC on this matchup. NP doesn't win easy but they edge out Andrean by 14.

Jimmies VS Central - Central proves to be too much and takes this one by 21

WS versus Mishawaka - don't know what happened last week but Mishawaka better wake up. Mishawaka by 7 on this one.

Hammond Versus Clay - Does Clay break their steak and get their first win? Tough guess on this fundamentally below average game. 50/50 first team to score wins. 

Homewood vs Penn -would love to support the pride of granger in this contest, But Homewood proves to be too much. Look for Homewood to take this one and make it 43 wins since 2015. 

Riley Vs Adams - the battle of the former Westsiders. Can Jones revive his struggling Eagles? Rumor has it Ira is still banged up from the Northridge game and is considering sitting out the rest of the season. Any truth to the whispers? Look for Riley to edge this one out if Ira sits. Riley 21- Adams 14

Bremen VS Glenn - Glenn rolls into Bremen and escapes with a close win. Not much to say on this one. Look for Glenn to tighten down their run defense. 

ST. Joseph VS Marian : Nothing divine about this game. It's going to come down to who has the better recruits. Marian on top by 14

Edited by TurfToe

Andrean VS NP - Most seasons this would be a close one but NP has got some studs and they handle the niners with ease....NP by 20+

Jimmies VS Central - Central keeps rolling in this one.....Central 35, Jimmies 17

KV vs Washington - Panthers to much in this one, beat Kougers by 14.

WS versus Mishawaka - Cavemen get things going and grind out a win 35-21.

Hammond Versus Clay - Going with the home team here.  Clay don’t let me down.  Clay by a PAT.

Homewood vs Penn - Homewood handles Penn in this one, 42-28.

Riley Vs Adams - Whichever QB plays best wins it!  I will go with Brown and Wildcats by a TD.

Bremen VS Glenn - Glenn heads into Bremen with both teams looking for their first victory.  I think Glenn comes away with the win as long as they take care of the ball.  Glenn 24, Bremen 17

ST. Joseph VS Marian - Any way both teams can lose??  Got to say St Joe in a close one.

Edited by SteelCurtain88

11 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

A little fun fact regarding H-F. Their coach, Craig Buzea, has never beaten Penn. he racked up a lot of L’s against the Kingsmen while coaching Portage.

I seem to recall a Regional at Freed Field when Portage went up 14-0 right out of the gate. On the ensuing possession, they picked off a Penn 3rd down pass deep in Kingsmen territory, but a roughing the passer call gave Penn new life, and they went down and kicked a field goal. That field goal turned out to be Penn’s margin of victory. Fortunately, as it turned out, the roughing the passer call was correct. 😉

Andrean VS New Prairie- Cougars impressive. NPHS wins

Jimmies VS Central - I like Central here, but close. 

KV vs Washington - Panthers here

WS versus Mishawaka - Cavemen

Hammond Versus Clay - come on Colonials. 

Homewood vs Penn - Homewood gets the Kingsmen

Riley Vs Adams - Tough one ... rolling dice on Adams.

Bremen VS Glenn - Going with Lions here

ST. Joseph VS Marian - my coin flip went to Marian

as always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

NIC is NOT what it used to be in terms of competition:

Riley:  Never really relevant.

Adams:  Has not lived up to the hype of their enrollment and their coach.

Clay:  Should disband their football program.

Washington:  Struggling to keep numbers.

Marian:  Solid 3A program.

St. Joe:  Failed to continue its success after the Downey Boys.

Jimtown:  Sort of a fish out of water in the NIC.

New Prairie:  SOLID football program.

Penn:  In a class (6A) by themselves is never a good thing.

Mishawaka:  LEAVING (good for MHS, not for the NIC).

Bremen:  See Jimtown

Glenn:  See Jimtown

They hung their hat on being the largest conference in the state and I think they are regretting that decision from both a competitive and financial stand point.

Just my 2 cents...which is actually worth 1/2 of a penny.  LOL

• Disdain 1

33 minutes ago, FormerCoach said:

They hung their hat on being the largest conference in the state and I think they are regretting that decision from both a competitive and financial stand point.

I think you're half correct, half lazy. There is more to be said than just quick snippets. 

19 hours ago, FormerCoach said:

What do you mean by fish out of water?

22 hours ago, FormerCoach said:

I think you are right in some way but many of the Penn faithful on here have gone.  Other schools as well.  Plus I think to me it seems like interest is waning.  I sometimes think the SB schools pull things down.  They need to close a high school.  Mishawaka leaving is a great move for them.  Not sure what the new "Elkhart" will bring to the table.

22 hours ago, FormerCoach said:

I believe that changes will be coming to the NIC, but just not sure what changes those will be.  I am suprised that Penn doesn't have a Notre Dame like agreement with the conference in football.  That would give them more flexibility with their schedule.  New Prairie could be a good fit for the Dunland, but don't know if there is mutual interest. 

The South Bend schools are traditionally more basketball oriented than the other sports.  Football, they usually have one good team that rotates between schools seasons.  The school times also pose a problem for South Bend.  For many weekday events, students must leave school early to participate, losing on instructional time.  At some point, I could see the South Bend school becoming their own conference.  Not the best of sollutions, but one that may happen out of necessity

4 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

What do you mean by fish out of water?

The reason the MIC, Fort Wayne, and NLC conferences are so good is that they are competitive in ALL sports and are relatively the same in size.  Unfortunately, Bremen, Glenn, & Jimtown just CAN'T compete in the NIC in football and/or other sports year in and year out simply due to their enrollment.  That being said, could/should their conference schedule prepare them for tournament time?  Absolutely!  But if I'm one of the smaller schools in this conference, I'm looking to get out.  At the same time, besides basketball, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a conference with SBCSC schools.  Again...just my 2 cents.  

22 minutes ago, FormerCoach said:

The reason the MIC, Fort Wayne, and NLC conferences are so good is that they are competitive in ALL sports and are relatively the same in size.  Unfortunately, Bremen, Glenn, & Jimtown just CAN'T compete in the NIC in football and/or other sports year in and year out simply due to their enrollment.  That being said, could/should their conference schedule prepare them for tournament time?  Absolutely!  But if I'm one of the smaller schools in this conference, I'm looking to get out.  At the same time, besides basketball, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a conference with SBCSC schools.  Again...just my 2 cents.  

The same thing can be said for a lot of other programs with schools  in the conference. Penn is about the only school that competes well in all sports.  The 3 smaller schools have ups and downs with athletic programs, but so does everyone else.  Bremen just split the south division, should of probably of won it outright last year, but the athletic trainer past away that week and it emotionally drained a good Bremen football team. Jimtown is Jimtown, they will compete because it is in their DNA.  Glenn has been down talent wise, and also had a string of bad luck with coaches coming and going.  When that place is rolling, they are a competitive bunch. 

Edited by MarshallCounty

I have to disagree with you guys on some of the competitive aspects of the NIC.  Marian, New Prairie, Penn, Mishawaka, and Bremen have all represented Northern Indiana down in the Semi State or Regional Championship games in the last 4 years.  Add to that, Riley appears to be consistently winning the games they should be winning, just need to get over the hump against some of the solid programs (Marian NP Mishawaka) to take that next step.  Unfortunately alot of the schools up here only make a run when they have that 25 kid senior class, and hopefully some of that starts to change.  When looking at teams like Jimtown, Bremen, John Glenn I see young staffs and young teams that will begin to turn the corner in a year or two.  Adams just feels like they have the numbers and cant do anything with them.  Washington and Clay are another story altogether.   One of the biggest omissions from your original post though is the new Elkhart school which should be LOADED with talent starting next year.  

So that being said, the North should be great competition between NP, Penn, and Elkhart for the next few years.  Moving Marian up to the North really hurts the South part of the conference leaving only Jimtown, Riley, and Bremen as the only teams with winning records on a consistent basis next year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indian72 said:

I think you are right in some way but many of the Penn faithful on here have gone.  Other schools as well.  Plus I think to me it seems like interest is waning.  I sometimes think the SB schools pull things down.  They need to close a high school.  Mishawaka leaving is a great move for them.  Not sure what the new "Elkhart" will bring to the table.

From a football perspective, I agree that SB Schools as a whole are definitely one of the weaker links in the NIC.  That being said, they are also some of the most competitive schools year in and year out in Basketball, Track, Swimming, Wrestling, Baseball, and even Cross Country.  

As a complete conference, there is little reason to see a team like New Prairie or even Mishawaka leave the NIC, (and from what I have heard many parents and boosters are not happy with the travel times and loss of rivalries).  If Mishawaka had stayed, and you have the new Elkhart School, the NIC north would be as good as almost any conference top to bottom.  

The question is, how do Glenn, Jimtown, Clay, Washington, and Bremen consistently compete in more sports.  

• Like 1

In the first year of the new 13 team NIC, if you take Penn out of the mix, 11 of the remaining 12 school would have won a conference title.  That to me show good competitive balance.  I admit none of the 12 school outside Penn would be able to beat Penn in many sports.  

• Like 1

Washington High School under new head Coach Stammich brought the number of players on the team to 51.  I don't know how many the other schools have on their team, but this is an improvement.  After reading the article about the sportsmanship between Washington and Jimtown I would think that Washington is on their way to being relevant again.  Maybe Saint Joseph could learn something from Jimtown and Washington(over 100 yards again in there last game against Northridge.  Yes I agree Clay should disband their whole athletic program.  

Edited by johnny U
  • Like 1

There are many things as a Bremen fan I like about the NIC. The games are all close.  No drive any any sport is more than 50 minutes.  I like competing against Marian. We never had a private school on our football schedule.  I like Riley. Bremen and Riley communties have been linked for years and we never competed against each other. The drive down Miami Road is easy.  Bremen and Riley folks shopped at the same stores (Scotsdale Mall, Venture, Menards), had dinner at the same resturants (Steak and Shake, Hacienda, Texas Roadhouse, the old Chik-Fil-a in the mall), went to the same movie theatres (Showplace 16, bowled in the same bowling alleys (Chippewa).  Yeah, Bremen is a rural community but have always been very much in the umbrella of the southside of South Bend.  I like the fact that the schools compete against each other, and hopefully Riley enjoys the games with Bremen. 

Edited by MarshallCounty
  • Like 3

It would seem for Penn to be Independent in Football would be a night mare for them in scheduling, travel, and revenue.

How many schools in Indiana would have an open date after week 2 -3 and want to schedule them

Could you see them scheduling:  Valpo, Elkhart, Mishawaka, Cincy St. X, Moeller, Cleve St. Ed, St Ignatius, + 2 more would be brutal and the distance - not sure there is a solution there.  

What would happen if all of the schools less 3-4 SB schools, Elkhart, Penn formed a new conference and added Culver?

• Like 2