Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

My gut says Pioneeer.  But Coach Howtrawser has a system building.  This is a program defining game for LaVille.  What LaVille has done in the last 6 years or so in athletics has been impressive.  A lot of positives taking place there beside just football.

I'm with Fine Print and Marshall County here . . .   Pioneer is the champ and will be the HNAC champ until determined otherwise.

Pioneer-LaVille have played 5 times . . . Panthers won all five ... PHS outscored LaVille 244 to 40.

A year ago, it was 66-19 at Pioneer, and a couple scores for LaVille did come off the pass.

LaVille has been blown out.  I recall the first time LaVille played Pioneer and Pioneer came running down the field on kick-off and LaVille players were not expecting the hard-nosed, physical play that the Panthers brought to the field.  I saw the game on the internet.

This is a 'program defining' game for LaVille.

Right now, I see Pioneer by 3 scores.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

Pioneer is no where close to the team they were last several seasons and it is showing this season.  They don’t have a QB, they have no depth, they do have speed but that will be neutralized by a team defense approach this Friday.  Laville has more depth upfront and more athletes IMO overall and their ability to be able to throw will win them this game.

I think Ezra Lewellen is a QB. He threw a couple nice passes from what I saw. Yes, Hes shorter then what most prefer at QB but his shiftyness and his vision when running the ball is superb. 

I agree their depth has taken big hits to graduation the last two years. Brenton Mersch and Diego Badallo can be factors in the receiving game. James is a pretty good TE.  Ezra and Addai are electric in the run game. Von Toble and Wireman are good guys in supporting roles. Their OL took a hit with Schnurpel going down. Gaumer missing 2 1/2 games isn't good either. I think if Gaumer can come back and the OLINE doesnt take anymore hits they'll be fine. They have some unproven juniors who im sure could be good enough to fill in at other positions if someone needs a break or is banged up and can only go 1 way. 

I think itll be a tight game and exciting. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

5 hours ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

Pioneer is no where close to the team they were last several seasons and it is showing this season.  They don’t have a QB, they have no depth, they do have speed but that will be neutralized by a team defense approach this Friday.  Laville has more depth upfront and more athletes IMO overall and their ability to be able to throw will win them this game.

I am curious as to how this "is showing this season". 

They lost to Lewis Cass by a score. 6 points. This is the current #3 AP, and #5 team in IFCA. You act like there is something wrong with the Panthers. Then they turned around and did Pioneer like things beating Winamac 50-0.

I am sure LaVille is a good team. I am sure they have done good things. But, lets not go around in our first 2 weeks on the lovely GID, you can have more depth, but if your jimmy's and joe's aren't as good good as their first ones, you can only put 5 OL at the field at once!

• Like 1

I look at this game that it's just two good teams going at it not a program defining game for laville.  I'm not convinced that Laville will be the team to knock pioneer of the HNAC pedestal.   Pioneer lost a close one to a great cass team.   Laville has looked really good but it has been against a down Bremen and Triton.   They are about to get a real step up in competition.  

2 minutes ago, nickelbackjack said:

I think if you look back at the stats for the past several years, you will see that the Panthers have not had a bugaboo for several years. Don't look for them to start one now. 

Panthers pull away in this one. 

You have to also look back and see this team isn't nearly as talented as the 15,16,17 and 18 teams. This is a pretty good Pioneer team but I dont think they are on THAT level. 

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

You have to also look back and see this team isn't nearly as talented as the 15,16,17 and 18 teams. This is a pretty good Pioneer team but I dont think they are on THAT level. 

How many teams are? Those teams are a few of the best in the history of 1A football. Those teams were blowing teams out by 50 points at halftime. Sometimes earlier. Had running clocks in nearly every game for two years straight. So if they beat teams by fifty now in four quarters, are they half as good as last year? I know every fan of every other team is anxiously awaiting their chance.

This isn't it. 

Look, the seniors on this team have played in three state championship games. The juniors have won two  straight state championships. You don't do that with one or two guys. Some of these guys talents were subsumed by the presence  of the greatest player in 1A history. Now, is their time to shine. 

Edited by nickelbackjack

12 hours ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

For the people that are still picking Pioneer over Laville, I would like to hear why or how Pioneer beats them?  Laville is primed for a breakout season!  Defensively they are solid and offensively they have all the components to take advantage of Pioneers defense.  They have not been passing as much in the first couple games but sounds like last week they didn’t need to.  Teams that can match Pioneers speed and can pass the ball is what puts Pioneer in a bind.  Laville has both and will exploit it.  The Doyle kid is another older, Doll and Watts have the speed, plus they have other very nice pieces on both sides of the ball.  I can this being a 2 TD victory by the Lancers!  

Lewis cass beat them by 6.    Sure as hell dont think laville are as good as them.  Laville has good thing going.  Hopefully they go into game hungry not cocky.    Plus I'm not positive these are best 2 teams in HNAC playing this year.    That Knox team when they put it together can go.       

7 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

I think Ezra Lewellen is a QB. He threw a couple nice passes from what I saw. Yes, Hes shorter then what most prefer at QB but his shiftyness and his vision when running the ball is superb. 

I agree their depth has taken big hits to graduation the last two years. Brenton Mersch and Diego Badallo can be factors in the receiving game. James is a pretty good TE.  Ezra and Addai are electric in the run game. Von Toble and Wireman are good guys in supporting roles. Their OL took a hit with Schnurpel going down. Gaumer missing 2 1/2 games isn't good either. I think if Gaumer can come back and the OLINE doesnt take anymore hits they'll be fine. They have some unproven juniors who im sure could be good enough to fill in at other positions if someone needs a break or is banged up and can only go 1 way. 

I think itll be a tight game and exciting. 

Well said here. Ezra Lewellen should be the QB. Cass looked like they were going to run away with the game when Pioneer made the QB switch and it gave them new life. Great runner and the combination of him and his brother in the option gives defenses fits. Being shorter shouldn't be a problem with 99% of Pioneer's pass plays being roll outs. I like Pioneer in this one but Laville has sounded impressive so far this year, just don't know a whole lot about them other than whats been posted here. Games are won and lost by turnovers. Can't wait to see how this one plays out. Sectional 34 is well represented this year. Friday night can't come soon enough boys!

Friday, Sep. 6
Caston at Triton - Triton got rolled up pretty good last week at LaVille.  My take away is that LaVille is pretty dang good.  And I don't think Triton is really that bad.  Caston is certainly improved this year and I think they'll get a win or two.  But not this week.  I'm going with the Trojans.  Triton 34-13
Knox at Culver - It seems Knox may have found some offense this year.  If that is the case, they will be dangerous in the HNAC and could be a factor in their sectional.  I heard that Ditmire was not a one man show last week, which will help them through the season.  It won't matter this week though.  Knox 28-6
North Judson at North Newton - The Jays are sitting at 2-0 with wins over Culver and Caston.  North Newton at 1-1 with a big win and a big loss.  To me this is a toss up.  It sounds like Judson got a little fortunate against Culver.  And after losing many weapons from last season, I still need to see some proof that they are a challenger this year.  I'm going with NN in a close one.  North Newton 28-21
Pioneer at LaVille - Definitely the game of the week!  Maybe the game of the year in the HNAC.  I think LaVille has the weapons to beat Pioneer this year.  They are pretty solid all around with experience in the offensive skill positions.  Maybe Pioneer is still trying to figure some things out.  They will definitely get there by the time sectional play rolls around!  I would not be surprised if the Lancers win this one at home.  But no way I'm picking against the Panthers who have yet to lose a HNAC game!  Pioneer 30-24
Winamac at North White - Winamac's offense will get rolling in this win over the Vikings.  I'm thinking this one will be a shootout with both teams finding the end zone regularly.  Winamac 48-35

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Do not know much about LaVille, but I find it hard pressed that anyone in the HNAC has the speed of the LeWellen boys.   Thats the difference imo 

As a coach who has competed against both programs in my career, I can tell you that both programs are well coached and usually well prepared for each game. Year in and out they both usually have solid athletes and each program has a solid tradition, but I would give the edge in most categories to Pioneer at this point.  I believe its their game to lose.  Furthermore I would never say that any team could not beat any other team, on the contrary I do see LaVille's chances as pretty good. I'm just not convinced that they are good enough.   Good luck to both teams in what looks to be a heavily followed match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warriorfan said:

As a coach who has competed against both programs in my career, I can tell you that both programs are well coached and usually well prepared for each game. Year in and out they both usually have solid athletes and each program has a solid tradition, but I would give the edge in most categories to Pioneer at this point.  I believe its their game to lose.  Furthermore I would never say that any team could not beat any other team, on the contrary I do see LaVille's chances as pretty good. I'm just not convinced that they are good enough.   Good luck to both teams in what looks to be a heavily followed match.

Should be a GREAT GAME if BOTH TEAMS show up to play ball...also will be an amazing atmosphere I would believe

Caston @ Triton

Caston had a disappointing week last week @ NJ where they couldn't really get anything going on offense. Triton is coming off an @$$ kicking vs LaVille. I'm going with the Trojans in this one... Triton 42 - 7

Knox @ Culver

Knox is looking solid so far this year as they moved to #10 ranked team in 3A after a win vs the Zebras of Rochester. Culver ran all over SCUM last week... but that isn't hard... Knox is a good 3A team and should compete for conference and their sectional... Knox 35 - 14

North Judson @ North Newton

Jays are off to a good start and its hard to tell how good NN really is as they've played a blowout team and been the blowout team in a game... Smash mouth fest Friday... We should expect the Jays to keep it between the tackles all night, while not so much for the Spartans... North Newton 28 - 20

Pioneer @ LaVille

Game of the Week, will LaVille take that step as a program and beat Pioneer? I don't see it. Pioneer is well coached and has speed and big game experience will prevail here... Panthers 34 - 21

Winamac @ North White

Winamac should be able to stop with the goose eggs this week, as they are playing a weak Vikings team that they should... key word should... beat the Vikings... Winamac 28 - 14

BONUS

North Judson @ Rensselaer Tennis : The Jays are switching up the lineup a bit but expect them to handle business vs a weak Bombers team... Jays 5 - 0

9 minutes ago, Wild Frogs said:

BONUS

North Judson @ Rensselaer Tennis : The Jays are switching up the lineup a bit but expect them to handle business vs a weak Bombers team... Jays 5 - 0

This has been printed and Posted at the Tennis Complex:   The disrespect towards the racketted Bombers will be met with a fury of forehands that the Jays have not seen before.    You've been warned  :classic_ninja:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

This has been printed and Posted at the Tennis Complex:   The disrespect towards the racketted Bombers will be met with a fury of forehands that the Jays have not seen before.    You've been warned  :classic_ninja:

Yup and if they don't get revenge.. Next time he steps in the box against the bombers in baseball. He may get a couple brush back pitches 😂 lol

• Like 1

Pioneer 44

Lewis Cass 0

minus 44

Pioneer 22

Lewis Cass 28

plus 6

Pioneer 66

LaVille 19 (with 5 give aways)

minus 47

Pioneer ??

LaVille ??

3 point difference in the games against Pioneer last year but LaVille managed to score, not once, not twice but three times.

Edited by SteelCurtain88

For what it is worth . . .
Caston at Triton - Triton can do some good things with the ball . . . Comets improved, but still fall short.  Triton, 30-7

Knox at Culver - Knox is 27-9 in the last three years and are beginning to show they can put points on the board.  Coach Hendryx has not lost to Culver. That will continue in 2019. Redskins, win 35-6

North Judson at North Newton - I flipped my coin and North Newton won this round.  Newton wins a close one 28-27

Winamac at North White - This is not the Winamac a few years ago.  I think the Warriors break out here.  Winamac, 42-30

Pioneer at LaVille - Well, well . . . we've come around to what many are saying is the Game of the Week . . .  For The HNAC Championship . . .  Agreed.

Now the questions really are:

#1 How will this class of Pioneer and LaVille Football respond in a big-game atmosphere? 

#2 Can speed be taught? How do defend speed . . . with speed.  Both teams have speed.

#3 Who wins in the trenches? 

#4 Who has the best Game Plan and will Executie their will?

#5 Who wins the turnover battle?

I said it earlier, the champ is the champ until determined otherwise.

Pioneer wins 35-26  ... I will follow this with, if the game comes down to kicking, LaVille has an awfully good kicker!

from_the_sidelines007

Caston @ Triton

Nice to see that the numbers are up at Caston. However, Triton will win this with no problem. 42-7

Knox @ Culver

Knox is good but haven't been overly impressive in their victories over 2 mediocre teams at best. Culver's defense has some major holes. I think Knox will roll into rivalry week 3-0. Redskins win 28-14 

North Judson @ North Newton

Flip a coin in this one. I'll go with the Spartans 28-27

Winamac @ North White

Warriors finally get some points this week but I think NW will put up a few themselves. Warriors get the W 35-21

Pioneer @ LaVille

Lot of chatter about this one. Perennial power vs the up and comer. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Yes Pioneer lost but they lost to a pretty good Cass team. LV is looking tough in their wins. I realize Pioneer is "king of the hill" and it sounds like some of the picks are based off of tradition. Last time I looked, tradition never played or won any games. The Lewellens are great athletes and will be tough to stop. LV has some athletes of their own. Both teams have great coaches. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if either team wins this. Pioneer has to lose in the HNAC at some point and I think Laville has the best shot this year. I'll go with the up and comer. LV wins 28-26

On 9/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, from_the_sidelines007 said:

I saw one on nfhs network at the Triton-LaVille game.

Not sure which school.

as always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

That was Triton. I am one of the coaches and my brother and I who both played under Coach Younis built it during the spring. It's not as nice as some of the manufactured ones, but it gets the job done while doing stuff on a budget. 

20190406_163644.jpg

Edited by Haines2010
Forgot to attach file
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Greetings To One And All!

Hard to believe that we are 1/3 of the way through the 2019 season.

Week #3 Involving HNAC Teams.

What Say You?

Friday, Sep. 6
Caston at Triton ©, 7 pm
Knox at Culver ©, 7:30 pm
North Judson at North Newton, 8 pm
Pioneer at LaVille ©, 7:30 pm
Winamac at North White, 7 pm

from_the_sidelines007

Caston & Triton: Caston lost another starting offensive line man. Triton’s pass rush isn’t like Judson (which ate Caston alive). Triton looked flustered against LaVille but LaVille is really good so take it how you want. Caston has to get Schanlaub and Smith the ball in order to be successful. Caston 28-27

Knox & Culver: Culver put up 52 points. I understand Knox is tough but I think Culver makes this closer then what people give the, credit for. Knox 42-33

Judson & Newton: North Judson wins another but it should be closer then last week. Judson 35-28

Pioneer & LaVille: LaVille is the second best team in the Confrence. But number one is the same team that it has been for as long as the HNAC has been around and it’s the team they play this week. Pioneer is still number one don’t think it changes this year either.  

Winamac & North White: Winamac doesn’t find the win column this week. North White 28-16

On 9/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Greetings To One And All!

Hard to believe that we are 1/3 of the way through the 2019 season.

Week #3 Involving HNAC Teams.

What Say You?

Friday, Sep. 6
Caston at Triton ©, 7 pm
Knox at Culver ©, 7:30 pm
North Judson at North Newton, 8 pm
Pioneer at LaVille ©, 7:30 pm
Winamac at North White, 7 pm

from_the_sidelines007

Caston at Triton - Triton wins 30-12

Knox at Culver - Knox wins 35-12

North Judson at North Newton - North Newton wins 28-7

Pioneer at Laville - Laville wins 30-24

Winamac at North White - Winamac wins 35-7

Warriors win 62-24. 

Was down 18-16 at half, had a dropped TD and a rushing td called back. NW qb hit cobb and #80. Warriors regrouped in 2nd half and outscored them 46-6 in 2nd half 

Great games by Beau Brandt, Gabe Townsend, Trent Fox, Brayden Lynch and Russell Compton. 

Good to see Waylon and Jesse Jenkins, Dylan Penicaro and Dylan Brown get some playing time upfront early on along with Shayden May and Remington Schwartz. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

On 9/4/2019 at 9:16 AM, SteelCurtain88 said:

Well this wont age well.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 2