Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

21 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

This thread is for all things dealing with drones.

So who uses them?

What are the best makes and models?

•  

Iran?

12 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I've been told that drones are illegal for use in ihsaa events. I wonder how they could be utilized for practice film though?

checkout the us treasury high school (aka homewood flossmoor hs).  think they use a drone.

Edited by Guest

Just contemplating the use of a drone craft during the execution of a football game; hmm! What would be the advantage if allowed by game rules, and what would the penalty be if something went seriously wrong? If allowed by 'new' game rules, would local, state, or federal laws, come into play as well; such as minimum altitude height over the grid, and, or maximum altitude height to conform with Federal Aviation Administration regulations; I. E., egress of glide slope pathways near airports.

5 minutes ago, statmurp_10 said:

Just contemplating the use of a drone craft during the execution of a football game; hmm! What would be the advantage if allowed by game rules, and what would the penalty be if something went seriously wrong? If allowed by 'new' game rules, would local, state, or federal laws, come into play as well; such as minimum altitude height over the grid, and, or maximum altitude height to conform with Federal Aviation Administration regulations; I. E., egress of glide slope pathways near airports.

If something went seriously wrong, it could come crashing down on the players and cause a significant injury (or worse if it fails over the stands). 

Better to simply prevent them, just as a safety issue. I'm not sure they give a significantly better angle than a high endzone camera and the existing sideline cam. 

Franklin Community used one during a 7v7/scrimmage this past summer.  Great angle.  When behind the offense, it's similar to the Madden video game view than an end zone camera.  Lutheran gets the same angle for all summer 7v7/scrimmages using a camera mounted on a 16' swimming pool pole.

Aside from the safety regulations (which make drones a non-starter for football), the power requirements would make them cost prohibitive.  Top-end consumer drones have a max flight time of about 15 minutes per battery pack.  You'd need somewhere between 6-8 battery packs in order to capture a game.  This just isn't practical.

13 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

Franklin Community used one during a 7v7/scrimmage this past summer.  Great angle.  When behind the offense, it's similar to the Madden video game view than an end zone camera.  Lutheran gets the same angle for all summer 7v7/scrimmages using a camera mounted on a 16' swimming pool pole.

Aside from the safety regulations (which make drones a non-starter for football), the power requirements would make them cost prohibitive.  Top-end consumer drones have a max flight time of about 15 minutes per battery pack.  You'd need somewhere between 6-8 battery packs in order to capture a game.  This just isn't practical.

Not according to @hhpatriot04 Spend and win!