Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Accountability for Referees

4 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

I became a basketball official after making the move back to the classroom from the AD role.  I said my purpose in becoming an official was to help out at the younger levels, 5-6, 7-8, Frosh and JV.  After doing this for 3 seasons, I have great respect for the officials who do varsity sports.  I also have great respect for those doing it for a long time.  Fans are completely disrespectful!  I will gladly listen to a coach and to some extent a player, but when I hear it from fans, I don't go back. 

My goal is to help fill the official shortage, but $50-70 a night is not worth being yelled at or saying I screwed their team.  I am reffing younger kids, I really don't care who wins.  As far as accountability, I know the varsity and JV officials talk and ask each other questions in games and after games to make sure the rules, calls and technique is correct.

This was one of the most surprising aspects to me when I started officiating. The first time you step on the field or court and have to watch the game differently you realize how little you know and how much you have to focus on the specific play. You don't care about the outcome of the play and just hope you can survive and not get hurt. The more you work the better you get but one thing that doesn't change is you don't care about the outcome of the play or game. It's also why the crew doesn't get excited at the end of a thrilling game. They are just plays and it doesn't matter the outcome.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The whole idea of HS officials having to do media to hold themselves accountable is so asinine.   

We are talking HIGH SCHOOL here folks.    HIGH SCHOOL 

Re-read my response.  I was very clear in my statement that at the COLLEGIATE and PROFESSIONAL levels, I believe that officials need to be required to speak to the media.  The subject came up in general and I spoke specifically to those two levels.

36 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Re-read my response.  I was very clear in my statement that at the COLLEGIATE and PROFESSIONAL levels, I believe that officials need to be required to speak to the media.  The subject came up in general and I spoke specifically to those two levels.

Possibly should've posted in the next level forum or officiating forum then?

43 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Even if they did that fans wouldn't like or agree with what they hear. Pereira and Blandino tweet about calls, explain rules, and even call out officials when they disagree with the calls and the response from fans is rabid. It ultimately serves no purpose other than an outlet for fans to complain.

• Thanks 1

I have been coaching for a number of years.  All I want a crew to do is keep kids safe, call very obvious penalties,  Leave marginal calls as no calls, and stay consistent with what they are calling.  

Over the years, the best games have always been the ones where the crews drop about 3-4 flags in.  I don't know if it is because the kids are following all the rules, or they just make each team play through minor holds and minor infractions.  It just seams like a more enjoyable experience when fewer flags are dropped on both sides.

9 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I have been coaching for a number of years.  All I want a crew to do is keep kids safe, call very obvious penalties,  Leave marginal calls as no calls, and stay consistent with what they are calling.  

Over the years, the best games have always been the ones where the crews drop about 3-4 flags in.  I don't know if it is because the kids are following all the rules, or they just make each team play through minor holds and minor infractions.  It just seams like a more enjoyable experience when fewer flags are dropped on both sides.

I believe this is the philosophy of many crews. "Call the obvious", "make it be there", "whales not minnows" are a few of the phrases officials utilize in their pre-games. Safety fouls follow a different philosophy. 

However, there are those coaching staffs and fans who also voice their displeasure with the lack of flags thrown (against the other team of course). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I coached for 13 years. Never once did I have an issue with a referee. There were times where I saw missed calls. There were calls I felt were wrong. But I knew that as a coach, the last thing that should truly impact our game was the officiating crew. If I as a coach could not be composed and focus on what our real job was, the players wouldn't either. I wish we could get that point across to our fans.

I think the majority of officiating crews are self-accountable. They want to be the best and will work to do so. Every crew we had for the last several years wanted us to exchange our game film so they could review. 

I always felt that if you treated officials with the utmost respect, they would easily do the same for you and your team. 

We are already at a shortage point. Let's not do anything to make it worse. Thanks for all that everyone does. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moshiner1345 said:

I believe this is the philosophy of many crews. "Call the obvious", "make it be there", "whales not minnows" are a few of the phrases officials utilize in their pre-games. Safety fouls follow a different philosophy. 

However, there are those coaching staffs and fans who also voice their displeasure with the lack of flags thrown (against the other team of course). 

When you have a hold that is 15 yards away from the play and the coaching staff is losing their minds, that is something that drives me crazy.  I mean,  yes, there is a hold... But did it impact the play?  That is an incredibly slippery slope to play with though.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Temptation said:

I don't believe so.  But at the college and professional levels, I have always had a problem with the coaches and players being required to do post game press conferences and interviews to justify their decisions whereas by the time those press conferences are taking place, the referees are already on a plane ride home.

I know it is a thankless position and most of them are part time employees, but if others participating in the game have to face the music, refs should have to as well.

Yea....a PART TIME job that is pushing 200k.  

10 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

I coached for 13 years. Never once did I have an issue with a referee. There were times where I saw missed calls. There were calls I felt were wrong. But I knew that as a coach, the last thing that should truly impact our game was the officiating crew. If I as a coach could not be composed and focus on what our real job was, the players wouldn't either. I wish we could get that point across to our fans.

I think the majority of officiating crews are self-accountable. They want to be the best and will work to do so. Every crew we had for the last several years wanted us to exchange our game film so they could review. 

I always felt that if you treated officials with the utmost respect, they would easily do the same for you and your team. 

We are already at a shortage point. Let's not do anything to make it worse. Thanks for all that everyone does. 

Thank you! This is exactly right. I hold myself accountable. I'm my biggest critic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Possibly should've posted in the next level forum or officiating forum then?

Thanks mom.  It won't happen again.  

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, TRCJunkie said:

Yea....a PART TIME job that is pushing 200k.  

The $200k number is a 20-year veteran referee (white hat). Starting officials make about $60-$70k per year. And part-time is only in the sense they may have another job (most do). But they are already putting in at least 10-15 hours each week in video review, quizzes and meetings and then traveling all weekend including more meetings before the game. Unlike sports like baseball, basketball, and hockey that have games every day. NFL officials can only officiate one game per week. I happen to be good friends with several NFL officials. There is nothing part time or on-the-side about how they approach their role.

• Like 1