Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The New PAC

I think maybe my earlier comments about SR are getting confused by some.  I never mentioned Alabama, I never said SR didn't play a tough schedule.  I was originally questioning why SR didn't move into the LED and Tecumseh come into the SED.  That seemed logical to me.  Also, and I am a realist here.......SR will win the SED for years and years and years, and that's fine.  All I was saying was that I felt SR would get more out of playing teams such as MV, and Prin., every year because they have better potential to improve(due to enrollment and numbers), on their schedule.  It is what it is.  Play where you want and who you want.  But SR winning the LED would be an eye opener, SR winning the SED is a forgone conclusion.  IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tango said:

Yep, GS definitely got rid of some annual blowouts.  For the most I have been against the SIAC adding 2 more schools and playing 2 divisions, but to have some football scheduling flexibility it might nice.  The downside (and I'm not saying this will happen to GS), is that it does get challenging finding non-conf opponents at times.    

I agree definitely will be an ongoing challenge.  I like the way the SIAC is headed with 10 teams though. Definitely a plus. And GS might have faired better with non conference games but that is not to say all the other teams will have the same positives 

18 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

I think maybe my earlier comments about SR are getting confused by some.  I never mentioned Alabama, I never said SR didn't play a tough schedule.  I was originally questioning why SR didn't move into the LED and Tecumseh come into the SED.  That seemed logical to me.  Also, and I am a realist here.......SR will win the SED for years and years and years, and that's fine.  All I was saying was that I felt SR would get more out of playing teams such as MV, and Prin., every year because they have better potential to improve(due to enrollment and numbers), on their schedule.  It is what it is.  Play where you want and who you want.  But SR winning the LED would be an eye opener, SR winning the SED is a forgone conclusion.  IMO

Wait, I thought Alabama was getting hit by a hurricane?  Did they cancel their Friday night games?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Could they put a success factor within a conference? This biggest issue with this would be having to redo the schedule every so often.

Sounds a little different, but it would be the best football all around IMO. 

Everyone looks at things differently, but I don't think they look at it that way...won like one outright PAC title (in like the mid-80's) and a handful of shared titles or so in many, many years, so don't think that was a consideration.  I've not heard any news of their staff being on the hot seat because of their lack of PAC titles.  

Of course you may be right...maybe they are looking to make up for all those years without winning PAC titles because it's had a negative impact on their program and this will help them in the all-sports trophy standings...by the way, who won that the last however many years?  I'll have to look it up, I couldn't tell you..  I do think that's why Southridge started soccer as well, so they could give themselves a better chance at winning the all-sports trophy.  

Not trying to be a total rear here, have a little fun on a Friday, but the idea that the PAC title is what they are gunning for each year and that was their goal to be in what some of you think is a lesser side of the conference...talking minus GS/HH/BV (who are on SR's schedule) is not it and I'm not sure everyone would agree with you that is the case anyway...some years maybe and some years maybe not. 

I"m sure they'll be happy if they win it because it means they won games and played good football, but that is a product of playing good football and getting better every week and thus probably playing well at the most important time of the year which is tournament time.  

Like the rest of the teams here, I'm sure they are looking to do what is best for their program and get better every week and hopefully be healthy and play well at the end of the season.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PACFB said:

Everyone looks at things differently, but I don't think they look at it that way...won like one outright PAC title (in like the mid-80's) and a handful of shared titles or so in many, many years, so don't think that was a consideration.  I've not heard any news of their staff being on the hot seat because of their lack of PAC titles.  

Of course you may be right...maybe they are looking to make up for all those years without winning PAC titles because it's had a negative impact on their program and this will help them in the all-sports trophy standings...by the way, who won that the last however many years?  I'll have to look it up, I couldn't tell you..  I do think that's why Southridge started soccer as well, so they could give themselves a better chance at winning the all-sports trophy.  

Not trying to be a total rear here, have a little fun on a Friday, but the idea that the PAC title is what they are gunning for each year and that was their goal to be in what some of you think is a lesser side of the conference...talking minus GS/HH/BV (who are on SR's schedule) is not it and I'm not sure everyone would agree with you that is the case anyway...some years maybe and some years maybe not. 

I"m sure they'll be happy if they win it because it means they won games and played good football, but that is a product of playing good football and getting better every week and thus probably playing well at the most important time of the year which is tournament time.  

Like the rest of the teams here, I'm sure they are looking to do what is best for their program and get better every week and hopefully be healthy and play well at the end of the season.  

How is the school corporation's attendance trending in the middle and elementary schools? In 5-10 years, do you expect Southridge to have a higher or lower attendance than what it does now. Being on the line (and even if you could convince Tecumseh), perhaps attendance was a factor.

Seeing the Jasper game go is just a travesty, but other than that, I can see the Southridge side of it.

22 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

How is the school corporation's attendance trending in the middle and elementary schools? In 5-10 years, do you expect Southridge to have a higher or lower attendance than what it does now. Being on the line (and even if you could convince Tecumseh), perhaps attendance was a factor.

Seeing the Jasper game go is just a travesty, but other than that, I can see the Southridge side of it.

Their enrollments look relatively stable... A little light in grades 1-2 right now, but it looks like if it maintains, around the same amount they have now.  They had a large senior class last year at 149... Down to 120's where it seems to be the norm now for them.  

The bottom line is that there is a tremendous amount of flexibility here for the new PAC schools.....non-conference or cross-over games makes it really nice.  I think most benefit from the competitive balance as well.  This move should do nothing but strengthen football in our part of the state.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 3:36 PM, Patriot 74 said:

Couldn't have said it better, where as if Pike were to happen to shock the conference I am sure they would be very happy as a community!!  Ala 1986!!!!!

For all of you guys that have been involved/ following the PAC for years, I'm curious to see why you think Pike Central has struggled so badly? Talent? Culture? Coach Roach was able to have success on the hardwood, so I find it hard to believe it is just because of talent. Over the last 25 years they have only had one season where they won 4 games. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of people that have been around the conference. 

1 minute ago, vicvinegar said:

For all of you guys that have been involved/ following the PAC for years, I'm curious to see why you think Pike Central has struggled so badly? Talent? Culture? Coach Roach was able to have success on the hardwood, so I find it hard to believe it is just because of talent. Over the last 25 years they have only had one season where they won 4 games. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of people that have been around the conference. 

The coal business results in families who do not stay in the community. That's the short of it. They've had minor success in basketball when they get 2-3 players, but to build a football program, they need generational stability IMHO. 

• Thanks 1

IMHO it takes a community to build a good football program. Lots of hours from selfless people building and maintaining a good youth program. You have to build football players. If you rely on raw talent, you may have a few good years here and there but nothing sustainable. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vicvinegar said:

Part of the problem is Pike County is a poor county and a spread out county with only one high school and some families cant afford to get their kids to practice etc...

4 minutes ago, DaveMosbey said:

Part of the problem is Pike County is a poor county and a spread out county with only one high school and some families cant afford to get their kids to practice etc...

I think it also is a "Pride" issue. No one wants to play for a team that historically has not been very good. I think they have the athletes in the school, just don't have the school pride.

• Like 1

Well thanks! It's just for some strange reason always bugged me on how a program could struggle so much. Other than coaching there a time or two, I don't know these areas that great. Washington has had it's own struggles over that same period, but they have at least had a few winning seasons. I just never understood why Pike Central couldn't at least be similar. Thanks for the feedback! 

Just now, DanteEstonia said:

Yes

That astounds me honestly. I don’t know how feasible that is for some communities.  All I am saying though is I wish that was available when I was at GS which was 2009-2013.  I know specifically that myself and 2 others had to walk home from practice/games a few times..which at GS is Miles home on back roads. It wasn’t an every day thing as teammates would help if they were going that way...

i imagine that at the time if this was available for kids, currently or in the past, the numbers and involvement at schools would be higher.  

Idk lol. I just never even considered that was an option that could be had 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

The school board won’t pay for an activities bus?

Pike Central High School covers the entire county. Many, many little county roads. If they had to take kids to each the north, south, east, and west of the county some kids would be getting home very late.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I’m also going to look up Lincoln County School District’s after school info. I’m fairly certain they have activities buses, and they are the size of Massachusetts.

I am sure if you would want to donate your time to drive the kids in Pike county to and from practices they wouldn't mind.