Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Cincinnati Elder

This will be Cathedral's first visit to the Pit since 2002.  This could be a very interesting game.

Caution to Irish fans, get there early!  Parking is limited and the Elder fans will be sitting on the visitor's side quite early so it's best to get there to claim a seat very early.

We’ll have a bus leaving at 2p with a bunch of parents. Elder has graciously invited us to join their tailgate. 

“We will be hosting a tailgate party in the Schaeper Center Lot prior to the game 5PM - 6:30PM. We intend to serve some of Cincinnati's finest- LaRosas Pizza and Skyline Chili. Your fans are welcome to join us.” I believe this is the lot between Elder and the girls school Seton, right next to stadium. Show some Irish love  

See you at the Pit. Go Irish!

6 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

We’ll have a bus leaving at 2p with a bunch of parents. Elder has graciously invited us to join their tailgate. 

“We will be hosting a tailgate party in the Schaeper Center Lot prior to the game 5PM - 6:30PM. We intend to serve some of Cincinnati's finest- LaRosas Pizza and Skyline Chili. Your fans are welcome to join us.” I believe this is the lot between Elder and the girls school Seton, right next to stadium. Show some Irish love  

See you at the Pit. Go Irish!

We'll be there!

Man, what a game. The TE for Elder #11 is a head of the class. Going to Ohio State, he was the safety blanket and awesome. 

Back and forth all game long. Irish couldn’t convert the first of Shiloh Means’ 2 interceptions for points and gave up a critical late first half touchdown after not running the clock late in the game with an effective ground game with RB Jake Langdon. 

One of the greatest high school venues in America and fantastic hospitality. Cincinnati Elder parked one of our fan busses right next to the new $5m Kyle Rudolph Weight Center and included all of us in the camaraderie, including their player walk to the stadium after mass. 

Considering our boys had a 2 hour delay on I-74 on the commute from a major crash, they played magically. 4 Hour bus ride with 30 minute warm-up could’ve crushed most teams. We were resilient. Love the mental toughness of this Irish squad. 

Keep charging, lads. Destroy the official North side Archdiocesan school next week. Archbishop Thompson said they are the best kissers on the block.... 

I believe no one asked for their money back after this one!

First off, it was a shame that there was another hazmat situation on I74 this year.  This is the second time in the last few years that's happened when the Irish were trying to get to the Queen City to play.  We were routed off the Interstate onto Hwy.46 and we arrived just before 7PM after leaving at 4PM.  As we were buying our tickets we saw the Irish buses pull up and knew there was going to be a long delay.  The Irish played very well despite this situation.  No excuses!

I'm not sure why every D1 coach in the Country isn't knocking of the door of Shiloh Means.  This young many is a football player!  I hope last night's efforts will bring him some more offers.

It was a shame that either team lost this one.  It was a very evenly matched football game.  It was back and forth all night.  The Irish had a rough time shutting down the Panther QB.  I haven't seen the stats yet but he might have gained 200 yards rushing in this one.  The Panther TE was a handful too and it was evident that he was their go to guy.  

The Irish led until Elder kicked a game tying FG with only 39 seconds left.  The kicking game really cost the Irish in the first half.  All three Elder TD's were on a short field, including one from the six yard line.  The other two TD's were from a short punt and an unsuccessful onside kick, which gave Elder the ball at mid field.  The Irish offense was in high gear most of the game and it was a shame to lose when Orin Edwards couldn't quite handle a low snap in the OT.  The offensive line looked like it could be a work in progress at the beginning of the season, but it has performed well up to now.  The defense seemed to be chasing the ball a bit last night instead of containing the edges.  It allowed the Elder QB to gain some big yards on keepers.  

We had a different view of the Elder hospitality.  We pulled into a parking lot and were  surprised that there was a $10 charge to park.  Also there was a handicap parking spot available that this old Irish fan was not allowed to use.  I've given up a lot of body parts for my handicap placard!  But it was an easy out from where we parked and I arrived home at 1AM on the westside of Indy.  That's not too bad actually, after a near 8PM start to the game.

It was nice to meet some TGD contributors during the night, none being 1906 of course.

It's on to Chatard next week!  Anxious to see how Arlington's stadium has been spruced up.  I've been told that work has been done to make the field playable.  It's be nice to not have to leave town to watch the Irish play.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!

Edited by PHJIrish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Shiloh - Forced Fumble, 2 picks, a million solo tackles against Cincy’s best. He’ll get offers soon!! Great game for him, great parents!

AMEN!

I actually met his dad at the LA Fitness in Eagle Highlands a few months back.  A very fine man!

Edited by PHJIrish

No offense to Reitz Bowl, but I think The Pit is the coolest venue I’ve seen. Was it standing room only? 

Another fine performance by Cathedral. Trinity took Moe to the woodshed last night, so at least Cathedral easily handled the Crusaders as well.

IMO, Cathedral is the team to beat in 5A right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I believe no one asked for their money back after this one!

First off, it was a shame that there was another hazmat situation on I74 this year.  This is the second time in the last few years that's happened when the Irish were trying to get to the Queen City to play.  We were routed off the Interstate onto Hwy.46 and we arrived just before 7PM after leaving at 4PM.  As we were buying our tickets we saw the Irish buses pull up and knew there was going to be a long delay.  The Irish played very well despite this situation.  No excuses!

I'm not sure why every D1 coach in the Country isn't knocking of the door of Shiloh Means.  This young many is a football player!  I hope last night's efforts will bring him some more offers.

It was a shame that either team lost this one.  It was a very evenly matched football game.  It was back and forth all night.  The Irish had a rough time shutting down the Panther QB.  I haven't seen the stats yet but he might have gained 200 yards rushing in this one.  The Panther TE was a handful too and it was evident that he was their go to guy.  

The Irish led until Elder kicked a game tying FG with only 39 seconds left.  The kicking game really cost the Irish in the first half.  All three Elder TD's were on a short field, including one from the six yard line.  The other two TD's were from a short punt and an unsuccessful onside kick, which gave Elder the ball at mid field.  The Irish offense was in high gear most of the game and it was a shame to lose when Orin Edwards couldn't quite handle a low snap in the OT.  The offensive line looked like it could be a work in progress at the beginning of the season, but it has performed well up to now.  The defense seemed to be chasing the ball a bit last night instead of containing the edges.  It allowed the Elder QB to gain some big yards on keepers.  

We had a different view of the Elder hospitality.  We pulled into a parking lot and were  surprised that there was a $10 charge to park.  Also there was a handicap parking spot available that this old Irish fan was not allowed to use.  I've given up a lot of body parts for my handicap placard!  But it was an easy out from where we parked and I arrived home at 1AM on the westside of Indy.  That's not too bad actually, after a near 8PM start to the game.

It was nice to meet some TGD contributors during the night, none being 1906 of course.

It's on to Chatard next week!  Anxious to see how Arlington's stadium has been spruced up.  I've been told that work has been done to make the field playable.  It's be nice to not have to leave town to watch the Irish play.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!

Everything you just said is spot on. The offensive line looked great. The defense did some chasing as you mentioned, and the irish could not capitalize on 2 INTs. Elder was a great football team who is ranked number 1 in ohio. On a positive note there is not a team in 5A with the size and speed that elder had. They all around had a lot of weapons

In my opinion there is not a team in 5A who can play with Cathedral. All around Cathedral is the best in the state of indiana. Once again, In my opinion.

1 minute ago, blueandgold2389 said:

Everything you just said is spot on. The offensive line looked great. The defense did some chasing as you mentioned, and the irish could not capitalize on 2 INTs. Elder was a great football team who is ranked number 1 in ohio. On a positive note there is not a team in 5A with the size and speed that elder had. They all around had a lot of weapons

In my opinion there is not a team in 5A who can play with Cathedral. All around Cathedral is the best in the state of indiana. Once again, In my opinion.

That's a bold statement. By saying "not a team in 5A who can play with Cathedral", you are implying that no one can come within a couple of touchdowns. For one, New Pal is still the team to beat until proven otherwise. Secondly, I guarantee both Valpo and Dwenger can "play with" your Irish. And 3rd, I can name four 6a teams who could not only "play with" Cathedral, but also beat them. That being said, kudos to Cathedral and how they are playing this early in the season, they will be a tough out for sure.

42 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's a bold statement. By saying "not a team in 5A who can play with Cathedral", you are implying that no one can come within a couple of touchdowns. For one, New Pal is still the team to beat until proven otherwise. Secondly, I guarantee both Valpo and Dwenger can "play with" your Irish. And 3rd, I can name four 6a teams who could not only "play with" Cathedral, but also beat them. That being said, kudos to Cathedral and how they are playing this early in the season, they will be a tough out for sure.

Your statement is just as bold! I do think New Pal/Cathedral winner is your state champ. I’m not sure there are even 2 teams in 6A that could beat either of them.

19 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Your statement is just as bold! I do think New Pal/Cathedral winner is your state champ. I’m not sure there are even 2 teams in 6A that could beat either of them.

Which part of my statement was bold?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

please give me 4 teams that can beat Cathedral in 6A???? please name them. Do not say warren, do not say center grove. do not say carmel. Congrats to New Pal on beating center grove which makes them the greatest things in high school history, beating center grove has gotten the whole state of indiana on the New Pal train. There is not 1 team in 6A that has everyones eyes on. Warren Central is down this year. Center grove has not had carson steele all season, so please give me those four teams.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blueandgold2389 said:

please give me 4 teams that can beat Cathedral in 6A???? please name them. Do not say warren, do not say center grove. do not say carmel. Congrats to New Pal on beating center grove which makes them the greatest things in high school history, beating center grove has gotten the whole state of indiana on the New Pal train. There is not 1 team in 6A that has everyones eyes on. Warren Central is down this year. Center grove has not had carson steele all season, so please give me those four teams.

Pretty much agree with this. But if you say CAN beat the Irish, then Avon, Brownsburg, Warren, Carmel, Center Grove are all capable. But are any of them better? No, based on the Irish’s performance so far this year!

2 hours ago, blueandgold2389 said:

IMO - your opinion is clouded with thick rose colored glasses. Cathedral is good, but you elevating them to that level is just crazy right now. Forget best in state, they currently are not even the best in 5a.....IMO. So funny 🙂 

31 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Pretty much agree with this. But if you say CAN beat the Irish, then Avon, Brownsburg, Warren, Carmel, Center Grove are all capable. But are any of them better? No, based on the Irish’s performance so far this year!

Yes of  course any one of those teams can beat cathedral, i agree. But no team in the state is for sure known as being "better" than cathedral.

17 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

IMO - your opinion is clouded with thick rose colored glasses. Cathedral is good, but you elevating them to that level is just crazy right now. Forget best in state, they currently are not even the best in 5a.....IMO. So funny 🙂 

lol. New Pal will not move from their number 1 spot all year because they do not play anyone. But see you next week. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

and in my opinion of those teams you named Id put money Avon gives them the best game

2 minutes ago, blueandgold2389 said:

and in my opinion of those teams you named Id put money Avon gives them the best game

The Cathedral/Avon scrimmage was very interesting.  I know it was just a scrimmage but Avon played their first teamers a whole lot more than Cathedral and the Irish seemed to match up well.  But all that's just conjecture.  Cathedral only needs to stay healthy and get better against some outstanding competition in the regular season.

A couple more thoughts about last night at Elder.  They need to update their lighting.  There were a lot of dark spots.  Also it would be nice if they put some wood or aluminum on the concrete that we sat on last night.  I bet that concrete gets really cold late in he season.  Also $10 to park is out of line for a high school sporting event, imo.   The lot we parked in was not that close either.  Other than that it was a great atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, blueandgold2389 said:

Yes of  course any one of those teams can beat cathedral, i agree. But no team in the state is for sure known as being "better" than cathedral.

That's pretty much all I was trying to say. I simply stated that some 6A teams "could", not "would" beat them. And I said some 5A teams "can" play with them.  I didn't realize that by implying the Irish were beatable that there would be an all out assault on my post....................geeeeesh. I'm sorry to anyone I offended. I recant my statement. No one has a chance against the Irish. 

But tell me this. What makes this years team any different from last years team? They've done a great job this year against the Cincinnati schools, I get it. But they did well last year too..........................then lost to Brownsburg by two scores, lost to Chatard, got blown out by Center Grove, then lost to Decatur Central.