Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Cincinnati Elder

26 minutes ago, blueandgold2389 said:

Yes of  course any one of those teams can beat cathedral, i agree. But no team in the state is for sure known as being "better" than cathedral.

lol. New Pal will not move from their number 1 spot all year because they do not play anyone. But see you next week. 

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTF said:

That's pretty much all I was trying to say. I simply stated that some 6A teams "could", not "would" beat them. And I said some 5A teams "can" play with them.  I didn't realize that by implying the Irish were beatable that there would be an all out assault on my post....................geeeeesh. I'm sorry to anyone I offended. I recant my statement. No one has a chance against the Irish. 

But tell me this. What makes this years team any different from last years team? They've done a great job this year against the Cincinnati schools, I get it. But they did well last year too..........................then lost to Brownsburg by two scores, lost to Chatard, got blown out by Center Grove, then lost to Decatur Central. 

better receiving core, better line, better secondary and most importantly a brand new OC. New OC has shown big time.

Just now, blueandgold2389 said:

better receiving core, better line, better secondary and most importantly a brand new OC. New OC has shown big time.

Thanks. And good luck the the Irish..............it's good to see them "back".

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's pretty much all I was trying to say. I simply stated that some 6A teams "could", not "would" beat them. And I said some 5A teams "can" play with them.  I didn't realize that by implying the Irish were beatable that there would be an all out assault on my post....................geeeeesh. I'm sorry to anyone I offended. I recant my statement. No one has a chance against the Irish. 

But tell me this. What makes this years team any different from last years team? They've done a great job this year against the Cincinnati schools, I get it. But they did well last year too..........................then lost to Brownsburg by two scores, lost to Chatard, got blown out by Center Grove, then lost to Decatur Central. 

The Irish coach, Bill Peebles, has had a year to work with the team.  This in my opinion is the biggest difference.  Also the attitude seems to be more "old school" than it was in the last couple of years.  The offense is a lot more sophisticated and the defense seems to be more intense.  Also the Irish are playing a lot of sophomores and juniors this season, and they seem to be able to help out quite well.

Should be a good one next week!  I can't wait to see Arlington once more.

1 minute ago, PHJIrish said:

The Irish coach, Bill Peebles, has had a year to work with the team.  This in my opinion is the biggest difference.  Also the attitude seems to be more "old school" than it was in the last couple of years.  The offense is a lot more sophisticated and the defense seems to be more intense.  Also the Irish are playing a lot of sophomores and juniors this season, and they seem to be able to help out quite well.

Should be a good one next week!  I can't wait to see Arlington once more.

Thanks for the answer. I do think the Irish will be a tough out this year, but i think they are going to have some competition along the way.

Just now, BTF said:

Thanks for the answer. I do think the Irish will be a tough out this year, but i think they are going to have some competition along the way.

That's what makes high school football so much fun, nothing is guaranteed.  You've got to put it on the line every week in the playoffs.

The comparison to 6A teams can never be proven. Cathedral could play up in 6A, but they have never asked. Bringing up a pre-season scrimmage? Laughable. Did you have a tailgate party at the scrimmage? Yes, New Pal will remain #1. Does it matter? This will be decided on the field. And I want to see it!

Edited by Staxawax
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

The comparison to 6A teams can never be proven. Cathedral could play up in 6A, but they have never asked. Bringing up a pre-season scrimmage? Laughable. Did you have a tailgate party at the scrimmage? Yes, New Pal will remain #1. Does it matter? This will be decided on the field. And I want to see it!

That answers my questioning of why Avon needed to play their starters for most of the scrimmage.  Thanks!  I'm surprised you didn't bring your train whistle to Tech.😁

Also Cathedral played "up" probably before you were born in the 1970's, playing in the final game in 1973 and 1976.

Edited by PHJIrish

I went to watch the Elder at Cathedral freshman game to see one of my former players.  What a game.  Elder won 28-27.  Cathedral attempted 2 pt conversion with 30 seconds left to go for the win, but fumbled the exchange.  Several times I wanted to shout out "1906!" and see what happened . . . HAH!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

That answers my questioning of why Avon needed to play their starters for most of the scrimmage.  Thanks!  I'm surprised you didn't bring your train whistle to Tech.😁

Also Cathedral played "up" probably before you were born in the 1970's, playing in the final game in 1973 and 1976.

Paragraph makes zero sense to me.

As for my age? Carmel grad of ‘71. I was rooting for the Irish when they ended Bloomington’s long winning streak. But they lost the championship game. I believe they lost in ‘76 too. And 2015? Well, you see the pattern. But all that is irrelevant to this year. Cathedral vs New Pal. Sorry SAC, this is your championship game.

2 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I went to watch the Elder at Cathedral freshman game to see one of my former players.  What a game.  Elder won 28-27.  Cathedral attempted 2 pt conversion with 30 seconds left to go for the win, but fumbled the exchange.  Several times I wanted to shout out "1906!" and see what happened . . . HAH!

that would have been one for the books!!! That would have been hilarious

4 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Sorry SAC, this is your championship game.

I concede. Dwenger and Valpo just aren't in the same league as New Pal and Cathedral. Congrats to the New Pal/Cathedral winner on their state championship trophy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

I concede. Dwenger and Valpo just aren't in the same league as New Pal and Cathedral. Congrats to the New Pal/Cathedral winner on their state championship trophy. 

This is why the 5A winner will be decided on the field and not the Gridiron Digest message board.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, blueandgold2389 said:

please give me 4 teams that can beat Cathedral in 6A???? please name them. Do not say warren, do not say center grove. do not say carmel. 

Lol, no no no. None of those overrated programs. That's just foolish...............................I was thinking Homestead. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Agree. If Cathedral loses to Chatard, the season is a loss unless we win the 5A title. .

Arlington HS at 7p Friday. Come see the Irish play the Trojans at this venue for the first time in 10 years. Archbishop Thompson will be there managing the sexuality of everyone in attendance. God bless his conflicted soul. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

6 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Paragraph makes zero sense to me.

As for my age? Carmel grad of ‘71. I was rooting for the Irish when they ended Bloomington’s long winning streak. But they lost the championship game. I believe they lost in ‘76 too. And 2015? Well, you see the pattern. But all that is irrelevant to this year. Cathedral vs New Pal. Sorry SAC, this is your championship game.

I didn't think you'd understand.  Have a good day. (if you can understand that)

23 hours ago, Boilernation said:

No offense to Reitz Bowl, but I think The Pit is the coolest venue I’ve seen. Was it standing room only? 

Another fine performance by Cathedral. Trinity took Moe to the woodshed last night, so at least Cathedral easily handled the Crusaders as well.

IMO, Cathedral is the team to beat in 5A right now. 

Coming from a Reitz person its nice to see the Bowl mentioned on a thread not about them.  As awesome as it is I am sure there are some better out there.  Just havent seen them personally.

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I thought Arlington’s stadium was dead. Did IPS actually pay to upgrade it?

Still a functioning IPS middle school. They’ve assured us the water, electricity and field conditions are adequate. Louisville Trinity coming to the home of the Golden Nights in 5 weeks. They’ll be in for a treat. Our only games on natural grass this season! Maybe the only natural grass in 4A-6A! Can’t wait for some grass stains! 

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Still a functioning IPS middle school. They’ve assured us the water, electricity and field conditions are adequate. Louisville Trinity coming to the home of the Golden Nights in 5 weeks. They’ll be in for a treat. Our only games on natural grass this season! Maybe the only natural grass in 4A-6A! Can’t wait for some grass stains! 

The game next week against Bishop Chatard will also be played at Arlington.  I was told by a member of the Athletic Staff that work has been ongoing there for quite awhile and it will be playable next week.

5 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Elder won the freshman game yesterday 28-17.  Cathedral went for two late in the game and were unsuccessful.

I have no information on the JV game.  If anyone has the score please pass that along.

It was 28-27 in freshman game, as I mentioned above.  Probably a typo.

Last time I was at Arlington, that field was a goat ranch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, CaptainHook said:

It was 28-27 in freshman game, as I mentioned above.  Probably a typo.

Last time I was at Arlington, that field was a goat ranch.

Last time I watched a game at Arlington it was more like a pigs sty after all the rain. Was a game between the Irish and Rebels, mom's from both teams were probably cringing. 😆