Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Trophy Games

Someone asked on the Copper Kettle thread about the origins of the Kettle. Made me wonder how many other trophies are played for.  So:

Teams involved? What is the trophy? Why? Maybe, how old? 

I believe Lawrence Central and Lawrence North at least use to play for the Bell trophy. If memory serves me, it was named after a coach who had been at both schools during his coaching career. 

https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/jasper-and-southridge-end-of-a-rivalry

I've posted this in another thread, but Southridge and Jasper have had the battle for the Golden Goalposts for many years. Although Jasper dominated the series (40-8), Southridge took the last installment of the matchup.

Huntingburg and Jasper first played in 1954, but the first Goal Post game was in 1958 when The Dubois County Herald Newspaper sponsored the trophy.

The trophy symbolizes the Gridiron Rivalry between the two schools separated by less than 10 miles of each other. 

The record may not say so, but there have been some VERY good football games in this series. Due to Jasper joining the SIAC in 2020, there will no longer an opening in their schedule for this game to continue in the years to come.

Goalposts.jpg

• Like 2

North Knox and North Central are starting one this year...It is a carved out feather...each side is going to be painted in school colors...the start of the feather at NK was when North Centrals head coach was at North Knox...it's something both head coaches relate to...lol...whether that is true or not...lol

Monroe Central and Wes-Del play for the Harvest Helmet. At one point we were the only 2 schools in the conference to have a football team before expansion. The helmet celebrates the agricultural base of both communities. It started around 2010 (MC's first football season). The helmet is 2 sided with both schools represented.

DnnhZH1VAAM4pJ0.jpeg

Edited by CoachVeatch
  • Like 1

Whiting HS and Clark HS are bitter rivals are play in a game called the Battle of 119th St, the street the two schools sit on literally a half mile apart.  The rivalry entered its 86th year this year making it the second longest continuous rivalry in the state.  Whiting has won the last 8 games and lead the all time series by a couple of games. Below is a picture of the trophy a student at Whiting created.  The boundary for the two schools go north and south between our two communities and every year we have a BBQ a couple of days before the game.  Pretty neat affair.

Another trophy game I'm starting is between Whiting and Hanover Central.  This summer we had a kid who needed a 2X helmet but we ran out so I borrowed one from HC whose head coach is a friend of mine.  I told him I'm not giving back his helmet unless he beats us.  😆 

119th Street.jpg

• Like 1

Goshen & Wawasee USED to play for the Traveling Chief...they don't anymore because #politics. 

Side rant:  A general rule of thumb....if your trophy looks like something that you could be awarded at Noon Kiwanis/Rotary Club, or strongly resembles a bowling trophy....you need to re-evaluate.  Any decent traveling trophy should be so big it has to be carried by at least two people and made of wood or metal😁  Although the Harvest Helmet is a cool trophy....

Image result for traveling chief goshen wawasee

Edited by US31
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, US31 said:

Although the Harvest Helmet is a cool trophy....

Thanks! Most around here think it's kinda goofy, lookin but we definitely want to keep it.  It's actually pretty heavy and cumbersome lol. The only problem with it is our helmet looks nothing like the helmet on the trophy..

Edited by CoachVeatch

New Palestine & Mt. Vernon play for the Boundary Rail, a piece of the old interurban track that ran along U.S. 40, along the rough boundary between the two school districts (the actual township line is a couple few hundred feet north of U.S. 40). 

That trophy came about because of the GID. Tim Adams was MV's DC at the time, former MV player Josh Short had the rail, restored it and donated it, and I was the sports editor of the local newspaper and helped publicize it.

Between us, the idea came about and some new traditions have developed (such as the winning team painting the rail in school colors when it changes hands ... now that both teams have turf, they'll have to be a bit more careful). Next week will be the 15th meeting for the Rail.

Not long after, Eastern Hancock and Knightstown developed the Plow Share & Anvil Trophy for their rivalry. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure it still exists, but when I worked at the Greencastle newspaper in 1997, the four county schools had a traveling trophy called the "Putnam County Bucket." It was a wooden bucket that was painted in each of the four schools' colors, and would be held by the winning school until it was beaten by another county team. The trophy was unique in that it was both a football and basketball trophy - the holder of the bucket at the end of football season would then pass it over to the county champion in basketball (the county tourney starts the year), and then whoever held it after the regular season ended in basketball would be the holder at the start of football. 

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Kankakee Valley and Rensselaer Central play for the Cracker Barrell.  

I've been on staff in some capacity from day 1 of Meeks Era and on paid staff since 2003 

Been fortunate to be part of 16 Barrel wins to 5 losses.   

Man how time flies.   

Campbell with Cracker Barrell.JPG

IMG_9107.jpg

Good thing she looks like her mom.    #Cutie

I posed the original question and still want the back story on the Carmel/Center Grove "rivalry."  

Doesn't really seem to be based on any HATRED or geographical boundaries as the two schools are 30 miles apart and really did not play regularly before the formation of the MIC (unless I am mistaken)...

Anyone?

Winamac and West Central play for the Tomahawk.

Its obviously a tomahawk but has both schools colors painted one on each side. 

Its used for football and basketball. 

Winamac is 24-4 in the last 28 games when you combine football and basketball.