Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ben Davis Fan security rules

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/fight-at-ben-davis-hs-football-game-prompts-new-security-enforcement/

I understand the need for some of these rules and some schools may already have some of these in place already.

But here is my issue:

I have a daughter that goes to a different school that doesn't have a great football team.  She loves football so we will occasionally visit local schools to watch key games.  As she is only with me every other weekend Ben Davis has been a great place to catch a game as we can walk to the stadium from my house.  But, according to these new rules we can't go to a Ben Davis game and sit on the Home side because she is not a student at Ben Davis.  If I'm visiting a stadium I like to sit on the home side.

A: the atmosphere is better 

B: More room to sit

C:Facilities and concessions are closer

Needless to say, we won't be going to BD games this season. or ever.

1 hour ago, djbowzz said:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/fight-at-ben-davis-hs-football-game-prompts-new-security-enforcement/

I understand the need for some of these rules and some schools may already have some of these in place already.

But here is my issue:

I have a daughter that goes to a different school that doesn't have a great football team.  She loves football so we will occasionally visit local schools to watch key games.  As she is only with me every other weekend Ben Davis has been a great place to catch a game as we can walk to the stadium from my house.  But, according to these new rules we can't go to a Ben Davis game and sit on the Home side because she is not a student at Ben Davis.  If I'm visiting a stadium I like to sit on the home side.

Sit on the opposite side?

1 hour ago, djbowzz said:

But here is my issue:

The way I understand it is that you are still free to sit on the Ben Davis side, there is just a certain gate you need to enter through. It says anyone associated with Wayne Township schools or those rooting for BD. As long as you aren't affiliated with the visitor, you should be okay.

Perhaps @BDGiant93 can elaborate further. 

I don't read it like that.  She is a minor accompanied by and adult, in their release they specifically mention people who want to cheer for BD and aren't from BD are welcome on the Home side.  The only way I could see an issue is if BD was playing her school.  🤔

I actually got confirmation from Dr.Butts that we would have to sit on the visitor side due to her not being a BD student.  If you are a High School student from any other school than BD, you have to sit on the visitor side. Doesn't matter if you are with your parents or not. 

I could see this to really be an issue IF BD is lucky enough to get a home playoff game.  There could be more people in the visitor stands due to parents wanting to take in the fun of High school playoff football.

10 minutes ago, djbowzz said:

I actually got confirmation from Dr.Butts that we would have to sit on the visitor side due to her not being a BD student.  If you are a High School student from any other school than BD, you have to sit on the visitor side. Doesn't matter if you are with your parents or not. 

I could see this to really be an issue IF BD is lucky enough to get a home playoff game.  There could be more people in the visitor stands due to parents wanting to take in the fun of High school playoff football.

Being on the visiting side at BD many times, I can say it's my favorite place to travel to for a game. The concessions are 2nd to no one and it isn't that far from the stands. Plus there's usually a lot of room in the visiting stands there because the grandstand is very spacious for an away side. 

A microcosm of society.  A few people make bad choices and a new rule is put into place to make it inconvenient for the other 99.9% of the population...

When people don't know how to act in public, everyone suffers...

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

A microcosm of society.  A few people make bad choices and a new rule is put into place to make it inconvenient for the other 99.9% of the population...

When people don't know how to act in public, everyone suffers...

It also isn't going to impact 99% of the people. It's really just designed to prevent students from each school getting into it, which happens semi-frequently especially if you have schools in close proximity to one another. 

Edited by WarrenGrad12

20 minutes ago, WarrenGrad12 said:

It also isn't going to impact 99% of the people. It's really just designed to prevent students from each school getting into it, which happens semi-frequently especially if you have schools in close proximity to one another. 

Really? I can't remember ever seeing that happen in southern Indiana. 

3 minutes ago, Sacked said:

Really? I can't remember ever seeing that happen in southern Indiana. 

Yea. We take it to the town square after the game like real men! 🤣🤣. But maybe it because nobody wants smacked over the head with a milk jug full of rocks

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, sr1 said:

From the link "Metal detectors will continue to be in place at every gate." 

Maybe you are taking your child to the wrong place if they need metal detectors at the games. 

This is the reality at most Marion County schools. BD is not the only school with metal detectors. I have been wanded also at most MIC schools. We have the wand detectors at BD. 

7 hours ago, WarrenGrad12 said:

Being on the visiting side at BD many times, I can say it's my favorite place to travel to for a game. The concessions are 2nd to no one and it isn't that far from the stands. Plus there's usually a lot of room in the visiting stands there because the grandstand is very spacious for an away side. 

BD's away side is the former home side. It seats probably 4K conservatively. There's always plenty of room.

8 hours ago, WarrenGrad12 said:

The way I understand it is that you are still free to sit on the Ben Davis side, there is just a certain gate you need to enter through. It says anyone associated with Wayne Township schools or those rooting for BD. As long as you aren't affiliated with the visitor, you should be okay.

Perhaps @BDGiant93 can elaborate further. 

I'm not sure how the practice went down at the gate. 

• Like 1

Dr. Butts has commented publicly, so I feel as if I can comment. These updated security measures were related to an altercation in the home stands during the Avon/BD game. I witnessed much of it.

Last night, the game, to my knowledge and from what I saw, went off without incident.

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Dr. Butts has commented publicly, so I feel as if I can comment. These updated security measures were related to an altercation in the home stands during the Avon/BD game. I witnessed much of it.

Last night, the game, to my knowledge and from what I saw, went off without incident.

All I saw in the home stands was a very quick mass exodus by just about every student, including the band. Seemed to be a commotion at the south end. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, WarrenGrad12 said:

Yet the new rules are in response to an altercation ONLY involving BD students, so my point still stands...

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Temptation said:

Just going by what was reported...

"New security rules for people attending football games at Ben Davis High School are now being enforced after a recent fight between students from different schools during last week’s home football game."

"The MSD Wayne Township Schools superintendent said the fight was between Ben Davis students and students from outside the district, prompting the new security measures to be considered."

The first two paragraphs.

18 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

"New security rules for people attending football games at Ben Davis High School are now being enforced after a recent fight between students from different schools during last week’s home football game."

"The MSD Wayne Township Schools superintendent said the fight was between Ben Davis students and students from outside the district, prompting the new security measures to be considered."

The first two paragraphs.

I heard a different “report” from those in attendance...

16 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Unless things have changed, BDGiant93 and his WBDG crew are in the visitors press box across from the home stands. However, being a Ben Davis teacher I would think he is privy to factual information that those such as I do not know.

We are now in the home press box, and I came out of my perch to help. 

It doesn't matter. People are going to believe what they believe. 

Edited by BDGiant93