Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern @ Southport

This will be the first test for GS this year and has been a heavily anticipated matchup more many fans in Southwest Indiana.

Both squads enter this upcoming Saturday 3-0. 

Southport on paper is probably the favorite.  6A school with over 2000 students vs a 3A school with about 650 students.  

Im not sure if I have seen many Southport fans on here, but does anyone have an idea of what Southport will bring to the table? What type of offense they like running?  Notable players? 

Very excited about this matchup....and I believe there will be a video stream of the game come Saturday.

First time a PAC school has played a 6A team. Perhaps even a 5A team in the new alignment system.

Will be interested to see if Gibson platoons or uses its tournament and championship rotations playing the best players two ways. 

Has Southport seen Gibson's no huddle offense? That could be troublesome early on if Southport plays some kind of zone (or worse man) and can't pressure the QB. I think physically the Titans will be able to block and tackle, let's see if fatigue factors in. 

We scrimmaged Southport along with Decatur Central.  Roncalli and Perry Meridian are not quality opponents this year. No disrespect, but stating the hard facts. High school football is always better when Roncalli is relevant and they will get back, because they in their own right have an outstanding young sophomore quarterback.  I don’t know enough to comment on CN, usually a quality opponent though. My son and I will try and make this game, Mr Allen and I always kept the book and the clock during summer ball games together, good dude. Best of luck to the Titans!

11 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This will be the first test for GS this year and has been a heavily anticipated matchup more many fans in Southwest Indiana.

Both squads enter this upcoming Saturday 3-0. 

Southport on paper is probably the favorite.  6A school with over 2000 students vs a 3A school with about 650 students.  

Im not sure if I have seen many Southport fans on here, but does anyone have an idea of what Southport will bring to the table? What type of offense they like running?  Notable players? 

Very excited about this matchup....and I believe there will be a video stream of the game come Saturday.

Southport has an enrollment of 2256.

Gibson Southern has an enrollment of 706

This is the game capsule from JH’s website.  Looking at the sagarin ratings...I think this may be the lowest I have seen Sagarin tank GS in the past 5 years lol.  I think these teams are within a FG or each other and it’s going to be a fantastic game

Gibson Southern (3-0) at Southport (3-0)
GAME TIME: 2 pm ET, Perry Stadium.
COACHES: Nick Hart, 79-12 in 8th year at Gibson Southern. Brandon Winters, 21-13 in 4th year at Southport.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Southport, 79.69, 32nd overall, 17th in 6A. Gibson Southern, 62.65, 88th overall, 12th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Gibson Southern defeated North Posey, 48-7. Southport defeated Columbus North, 10-7, OT.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Gibson Southern 2-7. Southport 1-8.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Southport, 35-21.

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This is the game capsule from JH’s website.  Looking at the sagarin ratings...I think this may be the lowest I have seen Sagarin tank GS in the past 5 years lol.  I think these teams are within a FG or each other and it’s going to be a fantastic game

Gibson Southern (3-0) at Southport (3-0)
GAME TIME: 2 pm ET, Perry Stadium.
COACHES: Nick Hart, 79-12 in 8th year at Gibson Southern. Brandon Winters, 21-13 in 4th year at Southport.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Southport, 79.69, 32nd overall, 17th in 6A. Gibson Southern, 62.65, 88th overall, 12th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Gibson Southern defeated North Posey, 48-7. Southport defeated Columbus North, 10-7, OT.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Gibson Southern 2-7. Southport 1-8.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Southport, 35-21.

The new quarter and clock rules are definitely affecting GSs Sagarin...as well as others I am guessing.

• Like 1

I love the fact that this game is scheduled.  

Kudos to both teams.

GS realizes it needs to prepare itself for the post season and is making a long trip.

Southport is in a lose/lose situation here but is still willing to host.

43 minutes ago, Titandad71 said:

When in the regular season has GS been a 14 point dog since Hart took over? 

Need info on the live stream if anyone has it, please.

I would probably say 2012 when hart first took over....and I would say it was against North Posey (they had a good team that year) and Southridge....possibly HH. But in 2012 GS lost to NP, SR and Chatard in semi state 

For the live stream i think it was ISCN or something like that. I believe a man by the name of Bob McClure is the guy doing it 

59 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I love the fact that this game is scheduled.  

Kudos to both teams.

GS realizes it needs to prepare itself for the post season and is making a long trip.

Southport is in a lose/lose situation here but is still willing to host.

How is this a lose lose for Southport?  The rest of their conference has been scheduling games against the SIAC and BIG8....and Southport already plays 3A powerhouse Chatard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

How is this a lose lose for Southport?  The rest of their conference has been scheduling games against the SIAC and BIG8....and Southport already plays 3A powerhouse Chatard.  

Like scheduling Butler in college basketball when they were in the Horizon League in the 2000s.

You win?  It’s because you were supposed to.

You lose?  It’s front page news.

So someone was generous and shared the football digest page with me and I noticed that it says Southport runs a 3-3-5 for their defense...has me wondering if we will see GS try to run the ball more this game.

the titans have been a very balanced team since Hart took over so I’m sure we will stay par to the course but definitely interesting. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:56 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

First time a PAC school has played a 6A team. Perhaps even a 5A team in the new alignment system.

Will be interested to see if Gibson platoons or uses its tournament and championship rotations playing the best players two ways. 

Has Southport seen Gibson's no huddle offense? That could be troublesome early on if Southport plays some kind of zone (or worse man) and can't pressure the QB. I think physically the Titans will be able to block and tackle, let's see if fatigue factors in. 

Gibson Southern played Henderson County KY the last 4 years and went an impressive 3-1 against them.  If Henderson County was in Indiana they would be a the 8th largest 5A school with a little over 1900 students.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Gibson Southern played Henderson County KY the last 4 years and went an impressive 3-1 against them.  If Henderson County was in Indiana they would be a the 8th largest 5A school with a little over 1900 students.

While true. I believe the first 2 years were out of the ordinary years for HC. We did have great teams those years but it wasn’t the same HC that GS faced in 2017 and 2018 where Gs went 1-1....shoot. Last year they shut GS out 23-0 I believe 

9 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

While true. I believe the first 2 years were out of the ordinary years for HC. We did have great teams those years but it wasn’t the same HC that GS faced in 2017 and 2018 where Gs went 1-1....shoot. Last year they shut GS out 23-0 I believe 

I thought the same about the first two years GS played them. Although they were not very good those two years they still have over 1900 students. Just trying to support the fellow PAC school.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sr1 said:

I thought the same about the first two years GS played them. Although they were not very good those two years they still have over 1900 students. Just trying to support the fellow PAC school.

I mean the last 2 years have shown GS can play above their size vs HC so I imagine they can do similar vs Southport. I just personally feel like the 3-1 record is misleading lol.  If I am not mistaken those first 2 years were the HC team led by the same coach who is now at Jasper