Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern @ Southport

Southport player hit the Gibson Southern QB a blow to the head after the QB had ran out of bounds and slowed down.. He was then ejected. Maybe two Southport players ejected. 

Still Southport 43 - Gibson Southern 27.

1 minute left in the game.

Heckuva ball game. 

Titans really put it all out there and only fell 43-35. A 1 score game. Great game by the guys.  This is the reason GS schedules these types of games...to get your bell rung a bit and see how you respond. 

Notes of the game:

1) GS’s OL and DL can play with the big boys. They stopped the run plenty of times and they could run pretty well all game as well as give Brady time to throw on most plays. Some weren’t there and the defense got there but the big boys at GS largely did their job and did a great job.

2) Southport made a number of false starts that put them in less than ideal situations....many on 3rd down.

3) The titans secondary did okay most of the game but the Brevin Jefferson kid was a “back pocket” weapon. Titans could get the Cardinals into 3rd/4th down with a good chunk to go...and Southport would just run a go route and Brevin had it almost every time. 9 catches 221 yards....definitely give that kid a game ball because GS had no answer for him. 

4) Just a good all around game that ultimately GS couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down and 3 turnovers decided the ball game

Never a thing as a good loss but GS is probably very happy still and will get a lot to build on from this game.

this is the box score from the game. Good luck to Southport on the rest of their season.  Thoughts and prayers out to their QB who went down in the 4th.  Hope he is okay 

0B0241C9-353A-41FB-B79A-DEB0622FFFDD.png

8720CF40-6E03-4B2F-BF2A-666D11543D4C.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titandad71 said:

number 55 said oh no you didnt, couldve got really ugly, but the refs to their credit got control.

I seen that earlier and I kept watching because 55 was cracking me up 😂 he had a certain swag to his step with a “you messed with the wrong QB today son”

Not that i endorse the extracurriculars, But I always love to see the Big OL guys stick up for their QB.  Just one of those things where I sit back and say oh boy with a grin 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grover said:

Nice work by that lineman taking care of business.  I hope he wasn't penalized for it.

I’m not entirely sure but I believe there were like 3-4 penalties for that play alone. 

There was 1 for the hit

1 for the lineman 

then there was another where on the video the ref was talking to one of the Southport players.  Don’t know what he did ...speculating he said something the ref didn’t like.

then there was 1 for taunting 

that would leave the GS penalty and 1 other to offset and then there was 30 yards on 2 penalties to be enforced.

the videos I have seen there were 3 things where hankies were thrown and then from my understanding there was a taunting that isn’t on video 

11 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m not entirely sure but I believe there were like 3-4 penalties for that play alone. 

There was 1 for the hit

1 for the lineman 

then there was another where on the video the ref was talking to one of the Southport players.  Don’t know what he did ...speculating he said something the ref didn’t like.

then there was 1 for taunting 

that would leave the GS penalty and 1 other to offset and then there was 30 yards on 2 penalties to be enforced.

the videos I have seen there were 3 things where hankies were thrown and then from my understanding there was a taunting that isn’t on video 

#1 was attempting to taunt when the lineman hit him.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

#1 was attempting to taunt when the lineman hit him.

No no no. Completely separate incident. When he was walking back across the field towards the home stands he apparently was flexing his arms above his head like a Mr Olympian competition.  At least that is what the radio broadcasts were saying.  There was everything on the sideline. Maybe some taunts over there then from my understanding a completely separate incident after players were separated 

This is just the way I’m understanding it.  There was a lot going on and the video is far from showing everything. Radio broadcast definitely was upset about flexing his arms walking across the field 

11 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

No no no. Completely separate incident. When he was walking back across the field towards the home stands he apparently was flexing his arms above his head like a Mr Olympian competition.  At least that is what the radio broadcasts were saying.  There was everything on the sideline. Maybe some taunts over there then from my understanding a completely separate incident after players were separated 

This is just the way I’m understanding it.  There was a lot going on and the video is far from showing everything. Radio broadcast definitely was upset about flexing his arms walking across the field 

Yeah looks like the shove was immediately after the illegal hit in 812s video taunts must have been later  https://twitter.com/BbalEvv/status/1172984003860795398?s=20

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

A separate topic and I posted it in the Warren/BD thread, but at what point do we legitimately start talking about Southport as a sectional title favorite over BD?

Now?  They have a great QB and have great skill players....from my understanding they threw it 2 times vs Columbus north and then they opened it up vs GS throwing for almost 400 yards. 

From my understanding...the Brevin Jefferson kid played in his first game of his high school career...and what a debut for 9 catches 221 yards.  Probably a kid who might start popping up on college recruiting boards if he keeps this up.  

• Like 1