Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern @ Southport

48 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

So who was the better D1 QB prospect in this one? Let's say for giggles that they would be playing in the IU system. 

I think Brady was definitely better D1 Qb prospect. However Southport kid can and will play different positions and I don't believe he is being recruited as a qb. I think both will do well at the college level. 

Any word on the seriousness of his injury that caused him to leave game?

On 9/15/2019 at 10:44 AM, Temptation said:

A separate topic and I posted it in the Warren/BD thread, but at what point do we legitimately start talking about Southport as a sectional title favorite over BD?

I think we will get a much clearer picture of how competitive southport will be in the sectional after seeing how they compete with chatard this week. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reitzguy said:

Watched the game on IHSAATV. Southport QB went out with a leg injury. May nake a differance in the Chatard game if he dont play.

Me too.  I also watched Chatard v. Cathedral.  Without the QB Southport will be in deep, deep trouble.  With the QB they might have only been in deep trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 7:50 PM, Boilernation said:

#1 for Southport should sit out a game. That was a well timed cheapshot and he followed it up with taunting. 

Congrats toughguy. You’re part of a secondary that was torched.

Late hit & helmet to helmet. Don't the HS rules include Ejection for Targeting?

I left with 4:00 to go & missed the fireworks.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, Titan76 said:

I think Brady was definitely better D1 Qb prospect. However Southport kid can and will play different positions and I don't believe he is being recruited as a qb. I think both will do well at the college level. 

Any word on the seriousness of his injury that caused him to leave game?

I happened to be standing right at the goal line when Lezon got hurt. He grabbed his hamstring right away & walked slowly to the bench with help. Hope it's not a serious hamstring injury. They've got some serious weapons & he has really nice skills with his arm & legs.

1 minute ago, slice60 said:

Late hit & helmet to helmet. Don't the HS rules include Ejection for Targeting?

I left with 4:00 to go & missed the fireworks.

Unlike NCAA, the NF rules do not provide for automatic ejection for a targeting foul. Ejection can be warranted if the foul is deemed “flagrant,” i.e., places the opponent at risk for serious injury. One of the examples of a foul that can be considered flagrant is helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless player. But it’s never automatic. It always comes down to the official’s judgment.

On 9/15/2019 at 10:59 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Now?  They have a great QB and have great skill players....from my understanding they threw it 2 times vs Columbus north and then they opened it up vs GS throwing for almost 400 yards. 

From my understanding...the Brevin Jefferson kid played in his first game of his high school career...and what a debut for 9 catches 221 yards.  Probably a kid who might start popping up on college recruiting boards if he keeps this up.  

Whoa. 1st football game? I knew the name from hoops. Amazing!

TE #40 Munoz had a helluva game too with 2 TD including at least 3 fantastic catches.

Props to GS for their big crowd. I heard the Southport concession stand volunteers say that the GS fans were the NICEST they've ever encountered. And she said they were making 100 burgers for the GS team to enjoy on their bus ride home. Pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Unlike NCAA, the NF rules do not provide for automatic ejection for a targeting foul. Ejection can be warranted if the foul is deemed “flagrant,” i.e., places the opponent at risk for serious injury. One of the examples of a foul that can be considered flagrant is helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless player. But it’s never automatic. It always comes down to the official’s judgment.

Thanks Bob. After my initial post, I went back to read more of the thread & saw posts saying the kid was ejected. My bad -- I posted without knowing the whole story.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slice60 said:

Props to GS for their big crowd. I heard the Southport concession stand volunteers say that the GS fans were the NICEST they've ever encountered. And she said they were making 100 burgers for the GS team to enjoy on their bus ride home. Pretty cool..

That’s pretty cool!  I didn’t hear about that. I think this game has been overshadowed by 1 moment at the end of the game that left a sour taste in most people’s mouths...but all in all the game was a great one and Southport is a great program.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slice60 said:

From my understanding...the Brevin Jefferson kid played in his first game of his high school career...and what a debut for 9 catches 221 yards.  Probably a kid who might start popping up on college recruiting boards if he keeps this up.  

Would have been nice to have some film on him!!  Kid has a future.

15 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

That’s pretty cool!  I didn’t hear about that. I think this game has been overshadowed by 1 moment at the end of the game that left a sour taste in most people’s mouths...but all in all the game was a great one and Southport is a great program.  

I live 15 minutes away & decided to catch this interesting game between a 3A powerhouse & a 6A program on the upswing. It was a really entertaining game-- big plays & hard hitting by both sides. Southport made a bunch of fantastic big plays in the passing game on critical 3rd & 4th downs which led to their victory. GS absolutely held their own against the big school & showed they have lots of talent too.

It was hot...the Cardinals led by 2 scores...I wanted to beat traffic...so I left before the late hit/flags/ejections. Wouldn't have known about any of that if it wasn't for the forum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

Any news on the Southport QB?

Is Southport #1 out this week for his extracurricular play during GS game?

I have no idea if the QB can play this week or not....at the time it didn't look good.

They "could" also be without their best DL (#93) & #2 WR....both left the game with injuries.

I don't think #1 can play due to the ejection.

40 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I have no idea if the QB can play this week or not....at the time it didn't look good.

They "could" also be without their best DL (#93) & #2 WR....both left the game with injuries.

I don't think #1 can play due to the ejection.

I was looking around for film on that hit and could not find, but I have heard it was quite obviously late, intentional, and overall just bad form. Too bad and completely unnecessary.

Anyway, I hope the QB is okay and plays Friday.

3 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

I was looking around for film on that hit and could not find, but I have heard it was quite obviously late, intentional, and overall just bad form. Too bad and completely unnecessary.

When I slowed down the video...the hit was actually inbounds...but it was a targeted shot to the head.  If he gets lower and comes in with the shoulder he could have gotten in a great hit that was legal.

6 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

Check earlier in the thread. there is a few videos of it from earlier this week. Also, it wasn't necessarily a late hit, however, it was a clear helmet-to-helmet hit. Allen is lucky to not have a concussion after that one.

Edited by RoadRunner

Here's the clip of the "illegal hit": https://twitter.com/BradNix11/status/1172980059960987648?s=20

I don't see anything dirty about it at all. Sure he was a little high and if that warrants a flag then so be it, but I don't think it was a cheap shot or dirty. The QB was trying to tight rope the sideline and took a shot for his troubles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FormerFalcon said:

Here's the clip of the "illegal hit": https://twitter.com/BradNix11/status/1172980059960987648?s=20

I don't see anything dirty about it at all. Sure he was a little high and if that warrants a flag then so be it, but I don't think it was a cheap shot or dirty. The QB was trying to tight rope the sideline and took a shot for his troubles.

I am not going to get into it whether it was a cheap shot or not. I have my own opinion based on other activities #1 did that day but I will leave it there. 10 years ago, that was a great hit but whether we like it or not, the game has changed, and kids must be taught to hit low and stay away from the head or get penalized for it. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sacked said:

I am not going to get into it whether it was a cheap shot or not. I have my own opinion based on other activities #1 did that day but I will leave it there. 10 years ago, that was a great hit but whether we like it or not, the game has changed, and kids must be taught to hit low and stay away from the head or get penalized for it. 

And QBs need to get out of bounds to protect themselves as well.  With these new rules for protection, any defense player is extra antsy to get a shot at the QB.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

And QBs need to get out of bounds to protect themselves as well.  With these new rules for protection, any defense player is extra antsy to get a shot at the QB.

I thought he was OOB when I first saw the clip.  Seeing that he was in-bounds, I think the initial reactions (including mine) were over-reactions to some extent.  It also sounded bad - like 2 Corvettes hitting head-on.   I suppose it a teaching moment and BA will get OOB in the future...

1 minute ago, tango said:

I thought he was OOB when I first saw the clip.  Seeing that he was in-bounds, I think the initial reactions (including mine) were over-reactions to some extent.  It also sounded bad - like 2 Corvettes hitting head-on.   I suppose it a teaching moment and BA will get OOB in the future...

Agree....seems as if there are two teaching moments resulting from this play.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Maybe a few more teaching points if you were to have everything that occurred after said play on film.  Not saying that a certain #1 from SP didn't deserve anything he got, but in a critical game players need to keep their cool.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

4 hours ago, tango said:

4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Uh....it was 4th and 11...down 16 points with under 2 minutes to play.  He barely got the first down. If he goes out of bounds any sooner, he’s stopped short and the game is over.  

No lesson to be learned there. BA did right  and kept his team in the ballgame.  Yes he paid for it but he’s a competitor.

• Like 3