Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton Miners @ North Vermillion Falcons

Regardless of the outcome, this is usually a good hard hitting contest.  Coach Crabtree always has his teams ready to play.  The Falcons are 3 - 0 and have averaged 40 points per game.   The Miners have played a bit tougher competition and other than a bad fourth quarter against Southridge,  they could be 3 - 0 themselves.  The Miners average 30 points per game.  I'll admit I don't know a lot about the Falcons this year, but at 3 - 0, they must be in a good place,, team wise.  Harrell has predicted a 31 - 24 win for the Miners. Should be a good game but I'll say the Miners win by 2 scores.   Something like 28 - 14.

This NV group is the group I believe can and will beat Linton on Friday. NV now has a passing attack which is very good and sets up the run game with Reynolds who is a stud. I am curious to see how many linebackers linton will have in the box when crabtree spreads the field out on Friday, if he does.. Also interested in seeing how NV’s defense aligns with lintons offense. I’m hearing Linton has a passing attack this year?? Who can update me on that?! Anyhow looking forward to a slug fest on Friday in C-Town. Safe Travels to all Linton fans making the trip up on the beautiful and boring Highway 63. 

Prediction: NV 21 Linton 13.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:13 AM, itiswhatitis said:

Regardless of the outcome, this is usually a good hard hitting contest.  Coach Crabtree always has his teams ready to play.  The Falcons are 3 - 0 and have averaged 40 points per game.   The Miners have played a bit tougher competition and other than a bad fourth quarter against Southridge,  they could be 3 - 0 themselves.  The Miners average 30 points per game.  I'll admit I don't know a lot about the Falcons this year, but at 3 - 0, they must be in a good place,, team wise.  Harrell has predicted a 31 - 24 win for the Miners. Should be a good game but I'll say the Miners win by 2 scores.   Something like 28 - 14.

"other than a bad fourth quarter against Southridge,  they could be 3 - 0 themselves." If we throw out the fourth quarter against Southridge, Linton loses 12-7. That was the score at the end of the third quarter. I have seen this or we gave the Southridge game away from several post made by Linton fans. Linton lead for less than 5 minutes of a 48 minute game. Southridge lead for over 27 minutes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sr1 said:

"other than a bad fourth quarter against Southridge,  they could be 3 - 0 themselves." If we throw out the fourth quarter against Southridge, Linton loses 12-7. That was the score at the end of the third quarter. I have seen this or we gave the Southridge game away from several post made by Linton fans. Linton lead for less than 5 minutes of a 48 minute game. Southridge lead for over 27 minutes.

You won the game.  Why the sour grapes comment?  Linton did lead 20 -12 in the fourth quarter and then gave up a couple of scores and had a couple of turnovers IN THE FOURTH QUARTER.  Go back and read my comment. NOWHERE does it say throw out the fourth quarter.  You are the one who said that.  If you are gong to quote someone, get it right.

This is one game I’m curious about. NV’s offense is setup to beat Linton by spreading it out and throwing the ball. I don’t see the miners having any problem moving the ball or scoring, but I also don’t know much about NV defense so I could be wrong. I like this Linton team and think this is a good test for our pass D because I think NV pass game is better than Sullivan’s. 

Im gonna take Linton 35-21 just cause I’m biased, but we better not come out slow and sloppy because I think NV is capable of beating us. 

Falcons have played Linton 5 times in the last 4 years and the closest game has been 14 points. I think this NV team is very good by WRC standards (although I think they’re 2nd best), but Linton isn’t the WRC and I think a miracle of some sorts would have to happen for the Falcons to pull this one out.  I hope I’m wrong.  

2 hours ago, wrcsage said:

Falcons have played Linton 5 times in the last 4 years and the closest game has been 14 points. I think this NV team is very good by WRC standards (although I think they’re 2nd best), but Linton isn’t the WRC and I think a miracle of some sorts would have to happen for the Falcons to pull this one out.  I hope I’m wrong.  

This game hasn't been close since 2015.  I feel that NV had a better shot at beating Linton last year, because Linton was not as good.   Linton's running backs are too salty in this one.  The good news for NV is that no matter who they play from here on out, they will not be as good as Linton.  Linton would probably win the 1A title this year by a few scores.  

Please don't anyone out there tell me Lutheran would beat the Miners.

11 hours ago, Reb08 said:

This game hasn't been close since 2015.  I feel that NV had a better shot at beating Linton last year, because Linton was not as good.   Linton's running backs are too salty in this one.  The good news for NV is that no matter who they play from here on out, they will not be as good as Linton.  Linton would probably win the 1A title this year by a few scores.  

Please don't anyone out there tell me Lutheran would beat the Miners.

I’m with ya on this one Reb. But man oh man that running-back for the Saints is phenomenal.

13 hours ago, wrcsage said:

I’m assuming you believe the “wolves” are better?

Definitely a big game for both teams..  I'm sure the Falcons would like to turn the tide on the last several years in this series.  Linton has put over 50 on NV in 3 of the last 4 games..but I think last year's 34-7 Linton win was the biggest surprise of them all.  I think most people thought NV would come to the Roy and get revenge on the 54-18 and 55-0 routs in 2017 and 2016.  Linton came in 0-3 amid a lot of concern and questions.. but put up 317 rushing yards (357 total) and held a vaunted Falcon offense to just 75 rushing and 72 passing (5 of 14) in a 34-7 dominant Miner win.  THe only loss NV would suffer til the  state final game.  Linton would lose in overtime to Ritter the nextv week, and get big margin W's over NK, ND and EG the next three weeks before finishing 5-6. 

The names are about the same for Linton coming into this meeting.  Lance Dyer ran for 137 yards and 2 TDs in his first game back after a shoulder injury had him on sidelines the week before, but he was a WB not QB.  Luke Lannan ran 19 times for 123 yards and 2 scores. Cash Howard got in the action with 40 yards on 10 touches.  TRey Goodman was in his 2nd start as a soph QB, and was 3 of 6 for 40 yards.  Devyn Robertson and Clayton Hauser each had a catch.  

Brennan Ellis returns at QB and presents quite the challenge to the Miner D.  IN last year's meeting you could not ignore that game condition involved, and how that affected the Falcon offense.  I think Linton played inspired football for sure...but I know the muddy and wet field wasn't the most conducive for passing... and Ellis was just 4 of 12 for 56 yards and a pick. The same conclusion could be said for Linton's passing game...but Linton was a run orientated team compared to the wide open attack Coach Crabtree has with Ellis at QB.  And it seems 2019 seems to be no different despite having to replace some big names the last couple seasons--  Jonathon Kilgore (who caught all four passes complete from Ellis last year against us); Christian Myers (50 yards on 18 carries), receivers Corey Buchhaas & Kirk Carron and 2-way Linemen Derek Foncannon & Gage Woodard.  Kilgore (8 tckls), Buchhaas (9 tckles) and especially Myers (14 tckls, 4 for loss) were defensive studs for NV last year.  

Back is #52 Josh Little at LB.  He ha 8 tackles as a soph against Linton, and 11 last year.  He started on the line last year as well.. but I don't think he is this year.. saving him for Defense only perhaps.  However I see 4 seniors on the Oline, 2 returning starters in RG Ethan Watson and C Kale Flynn.  A huge Tackle in Junior Matthew Jackson (6'5 270).  A huge difference will be with #12 Wyatt Reynolds on both sides of the ball. He was a transfer in last year who couldn't play until later in the season, and made an immediate impression.  He was key to their post-season run coupled with Myers in the backfield.  Ellis is also a potent runner, but only had 12 yards on 16 attempts last year.. He was held in check on getting out of the pocket, and sacked twice and accounted for 19 negative yards, but don't doubt his ability to run..and pass.  

BOth teams can light up a scoreboard and both can score quickly and from anywhere.  Both defenses are going to be tested, and both likely to surrender yards.  I've seen NV in a couple defensive formations.. so not sure on what they'll do against a Miner O that now passes with more confidence than in previous seasons.  It still is close in rushing (189.33) Passing (138.33) for 327.67 per game. Little looks to be joined  with fellow seniors Watson (#54) Reynolds (#12) and West (#24) and Ive seen a couple sophomores on the Dline with former LB starter as a freshman Edney (#44) and Rowe (#75).   They'll have to contain a lot of weapons in Dyer, Lannan, Howard in the backfield, Puckett at TE, Hauser and Robertson at SE, and Goodman throwing and running the ball.  Same scenario for Linton on D.   Soph LB Eslinger (#2) merged as leading tackler, while last year's leader Lannan (#8) has been free to blitz and reek havoc.  LInton has been using a 5 man front most of this season headed by Senior DE's Mongeau (#79) and D.Smith (#51).  However...both Southridge and Sullivan put up big yardage in the pass game... 267 from the Raiders on 9 of 18...and some huge passing TDs, and 258 from the Arrows on 19 of 33.  Sullivan did hit on a few deep routes but nothing went the distance.  Still, the Falcons run the same type of wide open offense as Sullivan.  Monrovia certainly didn't last week.  It will be key to see if the Miners can pressure Ellis, but yet not let him run out of the pocket for huge gains.  They will line up 4 wide, even 5 wide with#21 Lucas Cook, #24 Colby West, # 44 Carter Edney and #42 Nick Myers... and #12 Reynolds as well.  There can't be blown coverages or bites for the run.. or it's a quick 6 for the Falcons.  The Arrows QB I don't think is of the same running caliber of Ellis.  Miner DB's will have their hands full-#23 House, #11 T.Dyer, #18 Robertson, #43 Howard..as well as #8 Lannan and #5 L.Dyer .

Another area to look at are Kickers...  I know Elmore is 10-11 with the one miss a block.  I know NV's kicker is McKenzie Crowder...and I don't have any numbers on her.   Another thing of interest for me is 2-way starters.   Linton seems to have depth this year... 5  guys are always 2 way players...and a couple others are in rotations one way of the other.  8 or 9 of the Falcons play both sides of the ball...that I've seen.  Will that play a factor. I know both teams are always in excellent football shape as always.  

I hope to have more Falcons stats in an update later in the week...

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, Warfalcon2012 said:

This NV group is the group I believe can and will beat Linton on Friday. NV now has a passing attack which is very good and sets up the run game with Reynolds who is a stud. I am curious to see how many linebackers linton will have in the box when crabtree spreads the field out on Friday, if he does.. Also interested in seeing how NV’s defense aligns with lintons offense. I’m hearing Linton has a passing attack this year?? Who can update me on that?! Anyhow looking forward to a slug fest on Friday in C-Town. Safe Travels to all Linton fans making the trip up on the beautiful and boring Highway 63. 

Prediction: NV 21 Linton 13.

Well it's not an insane wide open attack per se... but given our history as a running team most of the time.. It's nice to have this asset to the game. As we know..it helps the running game to have a passing game offset it.  You can't put 9 in the box against us this year.

#15 Goodman-  26 of 45  415 yards 6 TD 1 Int. 138.3 per game. 57.8%

#18 Robertson- 12-214  2 TD; #28 Hauser 6-87 1 TD; #5 Dyer 4-87 2 TD; #43 Howard 3-14; #35 Puckett 1-13 TD

I should add... both 18 and 28 are great leapers with solid hands.  Many of their catches have been jump balls they go get.

Couple that with these rushing stats:

#5 Dyer 29-247 8.52 1 TD; #8 Lannan 37-185 5.00 TD;  along with #43 Howard and #15 Goodman.. total rush 111-568 5.12 total 6 TD.

189.3 rush 138.3 pass   327.7 total.  We still run 71% of plays.

Hope that fills you in!!

Just to elaborate a little more on this game -  Probably the two most accomplished programs in the Wabash Valley over the last 10 years.  I'm sure there has to be a sense of frustration for NV in this game.  They've dominated all other opponents on their schedule from a win/loss perspective during Crabtree's tenure.  Linton is the exception to that.  They get physically overwhelmed, and not much can be done about that.   Against other opponents, even if the NV talent is not as good, they can negate it with being sound in their approach and scheme.  

I'm sure the Linton people feel similar about a team like Southridge.  Most years they are going to better than Linton, which is what makes a game like this year between the two even more frustrating.  Sounds as though Linton had every opportunity to come away victorious, but did not.  You still have to respect the fact that Linton has played a very challenging schedule.   And really that is the best thing about this game for NV.....they learn a lot more about themselves in playing Linton than any other game throughout the year.  They get the acid test when playing Linton.   

Even if this does result in a Falcon defeat, which is the most likely outcome, they know that they've played the best team on their schedule.   I hope I'm wrong but until they prove otherwise, it is what it is.   I will say that a program that has been as successful as NV will not take the field thinking they are beat.  They have kids that expect to win, and usually do.  Unfortunately, if recent history is any indicator, Linton is the exception to that rule. 

Linton 45  NV 15

Edited by Reb08
  • Like 1

If NV does in fact have a stellar passing attack, it will likely be the most interesting game of the series to date.

Bottom line though, Brian Oliver evidently knows how to game plan for this team and it has shown the last 3 years. 

Miners 34,  Falcons 13

1 hour ago, Reb08 said:

Just to elaborate a little more on this game -  Probably the two most accomplished programs in the Wabash Valley over the last 10 years.  I'm sure there has to be a sense of frustration for NV in this game.  They've dominated all other opponents on their schedule from a win/loss perspective during Crabtree's tenure.  Linton is the exception to that.  They get physically overwhelmed, and not much can be done about that.   Against other opponents, even if the NV talent is not as good, they can negate it with being sound in their approach and scheme.  

I'm sure the Linton people feel similar about a team like Southridge.  Most years they are going to better than Linton, which is what makes a game like this year between the two even more frustrating.  Sounds as though Linton had every opportunity to come away victorious, but did not.  You still have to respect the fact that Linton has played a very challenging schedule.   And really that is the best thing about this game for NV.....they learn a lot more about themselves in playing Linton than any other game throughout the year.  They get the acid test when playing Linton.   

Even if this does result in a Falcon defeat, which is the most likely outcome, they know that they've played the best team on their schedule.   I hope I'm wrong but until they prove otherwise, it is what it is.   I will say that a program that has been as successful as NV will not take the field thinking they are beat.  They have kids that expect to win, and usually do.  Unfortunately, if recent history is any indicator, Linton is the exception to that rule. 

Linton 45  NV 15

As I said in my initial comment, Coach Crabtree always has his teams prepared.  Even when they don't quite have the horses to win, they still compete and come ready to play.  I have a feeling the competition the Miners play is going to be a factor in this game, but hey, any given Friday night, right?  Southridge is only a couple of years removed from a 2A championship and it won't surprise me to see them make a deep tourney run this year in 3A.  So for the Miners to hang with them for 3 quarters helps a team come tourney time.  Maybe the Falcons should consider leaving the WRC.  I don't see it being as competitive as it used to be.  The Falcons could go independent and beef up their schedule.  Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

As I said in my initial comment, Coach Crabtree always has his teams prepared.  Even when they don't quite have the horses to win, they still compete and come ready to play.  I have a feeling the competition the Miners play is going to be a factor in this game, but hey, any given Friday night, right?  Southridge is only a couple of years removed from a 2A championship and it won't surprise me to see them make a deep tourney run this year in 3A.  So for the Miners to hang with them for 3 quarters helps a team come tourney time.  Maybe the Falcons should consider leaving the WRC.  I don't see it being as competitive as it used to be.  The Falcons could go independent and beef up their schedule.  Just a thought.

There is no possible way North Vermillion would entertain the idea of leaving the WRC.

I don't see NV leaving WRC either.. they are a small school... and that makes what they have done post season wise pretty impressive considering the talk of a weak conference schedule.   Fountain Central has had very good teams, Rockville as well. . Parke Heritage and Attica…  but certainly schedule strength helps Linton...These seniors have faced some dang good opponents in their Miner career.  But if Ellis and NV start tearing up the miner secondary with passes...they will have a shot in this game. The other factor will be if NV can stop the Miner offense... that's what they have not done in several recent meetings.  THe semi-state win for Linton was really a shootout that saw Linton's offense put up 56...   Winning in the trenches is what NV will need to do.  

3 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

If NV does in fact have a stellar passing attack, it will likely be the most interesting game of the series to date.

Bottom line though, Brian Oliver evidently knows how to game plan for this team and it has shown the last 3 years. 

Miners 34,  Falcons 13

So, with that logic, would it be right to assume that Coach Buening, from Southridge ,knows how to game plan for Linton given the results in that series?

Edited by Reb08

On 9/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, itiswhatitis said:

You won the game.  Why the sour grapes comment?  Linton did lead 20 -12 in the fourth quarter and then gave up a couple of scores and had a couple of turnovers IN THE FOURTH QUARTER.  Go back and read my comment. NOWHERE does it say throw out the fourth quarter.  You are the one who said that.  If you are gong to quote someone, get it right.

You do understand how quotation marks work right? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

I don't see NV leaving WRC either.. they are a small school... and that makes what they have done post season wise pretty impressive considering the talk of a weak conference schedule.   Fountain Central has had very good teams, Rockville as well. . Parke Heritage and Attica…  but certainly schedule strength helps Linton...These seniors have faced some dang good opponents in their Miner career.  But if Ellis and NV start tearing up the miner secondary with passes...they will have a shot in this game. The other factor will be if NV can stop the Miner offense... that's what they have not done in several recent meetings.  THe semi-state win for Linton was really a shootout that saw Linton's offense put up 56...   Winning in the trenches is what NV will need to do.  

The WRC is a great conference I think. Similar-sized, like-minded schools, all have football, centrally-located geographically...

Linton on the other hand is better served by being an independent. It allows them to assemble the schedule they want. And there's no conference nearby that's an "ideal" fit.

3 hours ago, Reb08 said:

So, with that logic, would it be right to assume that Coach Buening, from Southridge ,knows how to game plan for Linton given the results in that series?

I would say that’s a pretty safe assumption....Can’t decide if you’re trying to paint me into a corner or not haha. 

I mean Linton, NV, SR all have undeniable football pedigrees. My point is that even the great coaches/programs will at some point face a rival they can’t solve, even though on paper they seem like an even match. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reb08 said:

Maybe, but more likely Southridge has just been enough better than Linton to win.

• Like 1