Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton Miners @ North Vermillion Falcons

33 minutes ago, Warfalcon2012 said:

I just hope the falcons don’t get blitz happy against this team. Takes them out of plays. Stay in your 4-4 or do a 5-2 box, bump to TE side. The thing with Linton is.. You know what’s coming, it’s just finding what gap to align in to try and stop it.

When I've watched the Falcons play they seem to be more of a read and react defense over the years. It's kind of a rarity in the blitz happy WRC.

4 hours ago, kingtut said:

Maybe, but more likely Southridge has just been enough better than Linton to win.

Correct.  That was exactly my point with his comparison with Linton & NV.   I think Linton has been better than NV.  Period.  Not a coach being better than the other per se.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warfalcon2012 said:

I just hope the falcons don’t get blitz happy against this team. Takes them out of plays. Stay in your 4-4 or do a 5-2 box, bump to TE side. The thing with Linton is.. You know what’s coming, it’s just finding what gap to align in to try and stop it.

And I would add that this year.. with duo wideouts as a threat on either side.. it makes that blitzing even more scary if you don't get to Goodman. Plus you blitz and he dumps outside to Dyer and your corners are downfield with Robertson or Hauser or both... that could be big play city.  I think you'd stand better chance not blitzing and concentrate on the coverage... and perhaps Goodman makes an ill advised throw?  Pretty much the same way I feel about our situation with Ellis... because Ellis is such a good runner out of the pocket too... we can't let him get out there.. and I do worry about our coverage because it's been blasted in a couple games... QB pressure against Sullivan was a big part of that win... that, and not making the mistakes offensively or the bites on the run that resulted in monster TD passes! 

For the falcons to have a shot, they will have to catch our safety sleeping, or with his eyes in the backfield.  That's the beauty of playing a week 1 opponent like southridge, exposes deficiencies early on, and allows plenty of time to fix said deficiences.  The offense rolls.  Miners 35-7.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:01 PM, Tanka Jahari said:

When I've watched the Falcons play they seem to be more of a read and react defense over the years. It's kind of a rarity in the blitz happy WRC.

Gap sound defense.. Rather read and react than blitz and take yourself out of the play.  I’m ready for tonight! Hope both teams come out of this healthy!  

Good test for both teams. I think it helps Linton in the long run to see an offense like North Vermillion's wide-open spread. Ellis has plenty of options and at times was able to pick-and-choose. 25-34 passing, 221 yards.

But...the Miners still manage to put points on the board. 471 yards total offense (unofficially – 260 rush, 211 pass). Goodman 12-17, 211 yards, 2 TDs (69 and 25).

We had a ballgame on our hands when the Falcons cut it to 19-14 3 1/2 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Miners find the end zone three more times for the 38-20 win.

• Thanks 1

Don't be surprised to see the Falcons back at Lucas Oil Thanksgiving weekend.  If their defense improves a little by tournament time, they will be a tough out for the other 1A teams.  The offense is really good.  Several nice weapons for Ellis to use.  The Miners played a methodical type game.  Good balance on the offensive side.   The defense made some stops when they needed to.  Still a few too many mistakes with penalties.  Hope that gets cleaned up soon.

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Thanks 1

Linton came on the field.. by the look of the numbers they could field 3 teams very impressive. No shortage of players from Linton! Ive got to say the Miners have a real solid team.. they have the ability to adapt to the situation very well. And the guys helping from the press box  can get annoying but are a great asset to the Miners combined attack. They were giving great insight to what players where screwing up and who to watch. Let's just say they know the game the team and Coach Oliver is very lucky to have them up there. 

Both teams came out tough and was beginning to think this may be #2 the Falcons take from the Miners but late in the 3rd and 4th realization set in and started thinking if the Falcons played as hard and didnt give up against A #7 ranked 2A team like the Miners it's going to be a great year and playing Thanksgiving weekend agian. The Miners also have have a good chance of playing on that weekend with so many options of attack I'm surprised they are not 4-0 on the season. In all aspect The battle between both teams was great.. it was a hard faught ballgame and the Falcons found out what they could do against a great team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mechanic24 said:

Linton came on the field.. by the look of the numbers they could field 3 teams very impressive. No shortage of players from Linton! Ive got to say the Miners have a real solid team.. they have the ability to adapt to the situation very well. And the guys helping from the press box  can get annoying but are a great asset to the Miners combined attack. They were giving great insight to what players where screwing up and who to watch. Let's just say they know the game the team and Coach Oliver is very lucky to have them up there. 

Both teams came out tough and was beginning to think this may be #2 the Falcons take from the Miners but late in the 3rd and 4th realization set in and started thinking if the Falcons played as hard and didnt give up against A #7 ranked 2A team like the Miners it's going to be a great year and playing Thanksgiving weekend agian. The Miners also have have a good chance of playing on that weekend with so many options of attack I'm surprised they are not 4-0 on the season. In all aspect The battle between both teams was great.. it was a hard faught ballgame and the Falcons found out what they could do against a great team.

Are you saying since NV played a good team and were behind the kids gave up In the 3rd and 4th quarter?  😂😂

No that's not what I was saying at all. I forgot to put the I in there as in myself..hard to come back from 3 scores when you play a team like Linton but you wouldnt know how that feels as the the wolves have not played any caliber team yet like Linton! These Falcons never give up I mean never and last night showed it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Don't be surprised to see the Falcons back at Lucas Oil Thanksgiving weekend.  If their defense improves a little by tournament time, they will be a tough out for the other 1A teams.  The offense is really good.  Several nice weapons for Ellis to use.  The Miners played a methodical type game.  Good balance on the offensive side.   The defense made some stops when they needed to.  Still a few too many mistakes with penalties.  Hope that gets cleaned up soon.

I definitely would not be surprised to see the Falcons back at Lucas Oil.

22 hours ago, Mechanic24 said:

It's been said that Linton has one of the best coaching staffs in the state and has had for a while now.  I do know they are well respected by other coaches (and fans) that I have spoken with.  It's all about the leadership and the culture.  Not so sure about the Miners chances for a Thanksgiving weekend trip.  The sectional has been a tough one with Southridge (moved up to 3A now) and Mater Dei.  I predicted the South rep would be our sectional winner when Southridge won the title.  Even though the Miners play much tougher competition these days, Mater Dei always plays one of the toughest schedules in 2A.  When tourney times rolls around, they are MORE than ready.  Good luck the rest of the season to the Falcons.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:35 AM, itiswhatitis said:

It's been said that Linton has one of the best coaching staffs in the state and has had for a while now.  I do know they are well respected by other coaches (and fans) that I have spoken with.  It's all about the leadership and the culture.  Not so sure about the Miners chances for a Thanksgiving weekend trip.  The sectional has been a tough one with Southridge (moved up to 3A now) and Mater Dei.  I predicted the South rep would be our sectional winner when Southridge won the title.  Even though the Miners play much tougher competition these days, Mater Dei always plays one of the toughest schedules in 2A.  When tourney times rolls around, they are MORE than ready.  Good luck the rest of the season to the Falcons.

Goodluck to the Miners as well!