Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NIC Games WEEK # 4

2 hours ago, TurfToe said:

The battle of the recruits. I mean Holy War. ST. Joe with "QB" issues is no excuse to allow 41 points to be scored on you. I believe Glenn is the only team to score on Marian with a Sophmore QB and an offensive line half the size of everyone one else. Riley is going to need to score more then the 28 they put on Bremen to beat Marian. Marians secondary is the real deal and will pluck balls out of the air if RILEYS QB isnt on his game. Rileys run game will struggle to reach the perimeter let alone up the middle against that line. Glenn scored 35 on Bremen on  Friday. Should of been a lot worse but they had a 40 yard score on the very first play called back after they stripped/recovered the opening kickoff. Riley is a good team but anyone can score on Adams. David Perkins' Defensive play calling  has more holes then Mishawaka Avenue. I won't be surprised if Clay has more wins then Adams at the end of the year. All in all Riley should cause Marian a few fits, but that Marian D is big, fast and fundamentally sound. Marian wins big. 

I could not agree more.  You play 2 QB's the 1st 2 games, then one is out and you go with the other who is the one who fumbles 3 times and throws a pick 6 you are in deep duh duh.  SJ OL was awful plain and simple and I am not sure what the defense what expecting but they were out of position so many times in the 1st half it was like what did you prepare for?  Plus it was interesting standing on the field as they came out for warm-ups.  You would nt have guessed it was the Marian game.  I cannot say I was shocked but the margin kind of surprised me but when you look at the performance it could have been a lot worse.  This season you have to let it play out and move from there.

7 hours ago, Observer said:

St. Joe and Adams could be 0-8 heading into their week 9 matchup. 

Both programs have fallen off dramatically. 

Adams were moving in the right direction with Redmen.  Seems like Jones' winning ways at Washington had to do more with his players and supporting cast of coaches. Any of his teams break .500 since he left Washington? St. Joe hasn't been right since the Downey brothers departed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

It is shameful, I don't know what the answer is. It isn't just a Bremen or Jimtown problem. It is going on everywhere. It also isn't a football only problem, a lot of sports are struggling to fill teams.  I don't know what is causing it or even if there is a solution.

Lots of other options for kids to entertain themselves in 2019, with more and more parents saying "well I can't make them play if they don't want to...."

They don't WANT to eat their vegetables or go to sleep either but you make it happen because its good for them.   Drives me insane! 

43 minutes ago, TurfToe said:

Adams were moving in the right direction with Redmen.  Seems like Jones' winning ways at Washington had to do more with his players and supporting cast of coaches. Any of his teams break .500 since he left Washington? St. Joe hasn't been right since the Downey brothers departed

His first team with Redman's players went 6-4. No more than 3 wins since. 5-4 once at Niles. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, TurfToe said:

Ben Downey knew when to leave Saint Joseph.  The talent was drying up fast and Coach Downey bolted.  If the talent was still there Coach Downey wouldn't have left using the age old excuse of spending more time with my family.  Coach Whitten has a big job ahead of him.

42 minutes ago, johnny U said:

Ben Downey knew when to leave Saint Joseph.  The talent was drying up fast and Coach Downey bolted.  If the talent was still there Coach Downey wouldn't have left using the age old excuse of spending more time with my family.  Coach Whitten has a big job ahead of him.

Not totally sure of the comments.  I think last year's team was an under achiever.  Too many players going both ways hurts with the schedule we play which he current staff seems to like.  This year seems a lack of discipline, leadership, and respect seems to be another issue.  Lot of new faces on the coaching staff.  There are many things but in 4 years the record is now glowing.

2 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Not totally sure of the comments.  I think last year's team was an under achiever.  Too many players going both ways hurts with the schedule we play which he current staff seems to like.  This year seems a lack of discipline, leadership, and respect seems to be another issue.  Lot of new faces on the coaching staff.  There are many things but in 4 years the record is now glowing.

It's a culture issue and it starts with the head coach. He's got to set the tone from day 1 or he'll continue to have players costing them games or parents coming down and trying to confront the refs like last year. As for Johnny U maybe he should coach up the players he has. Learn to win with what you have. There wasn't superior talent at ST joe they just took what the defense gave you. Even back when Matthews and Aresenault were playing. They would eat you up with slants and deep outs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TurfToe said:

It's a culture issue and it starts with the head coach. He's got to set the tone from day 1 or he'll continue to have players costing them games or parents coming down and trying to confront the refs like last year. As for Johnny U maybe he should coach up the players he has. Learn to win with what you have. There wasn't superior talent at ST joe they just took what the defense gave you. Even back when Matthews and Aresenault were playing. They would eat you up with slants and deep outs.

Boy, you hit the nail on the head.  Yes, well all we seem to know is the deep fade.  If I can see it on the sidelines why cannot the people upstairs see it.  I just think this year is not going anywhere and what happens then no one knows.

This is week 3 in Michigan

Benton Harbor had a great run a few years back under Elliot Uzelak, but he stepped aside when he confronted admin about the schools extremely low graduation rates, lack of certified teachers, class sizes, etc.  

They usually have plenty of athletes, until Coach U they have always had a hard time overcoming their own disorganization which is compounded by some of the very tough socio-economic circumstances of their students. 

School was recently almost shut down, lot of local pride seems to have saved it for the time being. 

https://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/local/uzelac-blasts-bh-schools-on-way-out/article_02314c23-0359-5c89-8734-9cf866aa6cc1.html

Coach U's parting thoughts 

19 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

This is week 3 in Michigan

Benton Harbor had a great run a few years back under Elliot Uzelak, but he stepped aside when he confronted admin about the schools extremely low graduation rates, lack of certified teachers, class sizes, etc.  

They usually have plenty of athletes, until Coach U they have always had a hard time overcoming their own disorganization which is compounded by some of the very tough socio-economic circumstances of their students. 

School was recently almost shut down, lot of local pride seems to have saved it for the time being. 

https://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/local/uzelac-blasts-bh-schools-on-way-out/article_02314c23-0359-5c89-8734-9cf866aa6cc1.html

Coach U's parting thoughts 

Shameful.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:31 AM, Indian72 said:
Friday, Sep. 13
Benton Harbor (Mich.) at Central, 7 pm Central big 59-6
Bremen at Triton, 7 pm Toss up Bremen 24-21
Cincinnati St. Xavier (Ohio) at Penn, 7 pm Total Guess, St X 42-24
Glenn at Jimtown ©, 7 pm Jimtown 36 Glenn 28
Marian at Riley ©, 7 pm Marian 42-14
Adams at Mishawaka ©, 7 pm Cavemen 38-20
Clay at Washington ©, 7:30 pm Washington 42-12
St. Joseph at New Prairie ©, 7:30 pm New Prairie 49-14

37 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

That's a generous 14 your giving the Cats on Marian. I personally think the Washington game will be closer then most think. Wash only put 22 on a JV Hammond team. I think Clays win last week gives the kids a much need confidence boost and this game becomes a grudge match. What do I know though lol. No love for Glenn after the thrashing they gave y'all last week? Lol

3 minutes ago, TurfToe said:

That's a generous 14 your giving the Cats on Marian. I personally think the Washington game will be closer then most think. Wash only put 22 on a JV Hammond team. I think Clays win last week gives the kids a much need confidence boost and this game becomes a grudge match. What do I know though lol. No love for Glenn after the thrashing they gave y'all last week? Lol

Nothing against the Falcolns, just think that this Jimtown team is senior dominated. The win against Bremen this year isn't much, arguably one of worst teams Bremen will field in 60 years.  Low numbers caught up with the Lions this year.

6 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Nothing against the Falcolns, just think that this Jimtown team is senior dominated. The win against Bremen this year isn't much, arguably one of worst teams Bremen will field in 60 years.  Low numbers caught up with the Lions this year.

Guess we will find out at 7