Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NIC Games WEEK # 4

Exciting to see new blood like TurfToe bring some strong Homer love back to the site. Keep up the work gentleman you are becoming fun to listen to. Wish them and everyone in conference luck tonight. Hope the clouds stay parted and it's a nice evening for football. Looks like only one game of the week in conference, I'm looking forward to taking in a hopefully packed house. Wish people would update schools throughout the night to keep us at one game informed of conference play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Nothing against the Falcolns, just think that this Jimtown team is senior dominated. The win against Bremen this year isn't much, arguably one of worst teams Bremen will field in 60 years.  Low numbers caught up with the Lions this year.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance Bremen gets their first of back-to-back wins tonight... probably their only two W's of the season.  Triton players have a mental block when it comes to Bremen.  They don't believe they can beat their county rivals.  I think Bremen wins easily tonight.  Hope I'm wrong!  But I doubt it.

So it appears Marian is for real, ,they made Riley look real bad. They now look like a serious contender to do big things and a undefeated regular season is within reach for them in a weakened South side of conference.

Now question is was Riley a real team or had they not played anyone? Was this more about the emotions around everything hurting their play or they weren’t the team the paper made them out to be? We shall see as this season goes on.

Last year Bremen lost and athletic trainer on a Monday, the loss shook the team, and they played emotionally flat the next 2 weeks. I could not imagine having a teammate die and then step up and play later in the week. 

Marian is having a special year, Riley is having a good year and just had an awful week. Marian probably wins this straight up against Riley 8 out of 10 times under normal circumstances, tonight tough had to be emotionally rough.

29 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

So it appears Marian is for real, ,they made Riley look real bad. They now look like a serious contender to do big things and a undefeated regular season is within reach for them in a weakened South side of conference.

Now question is was Riley a real team or had they not played anyone? Was this more about the emotions around everything hurting their play or they weren’t the team the paper made them out to be? We shall see as this season goes on.

Been saying it all week Marian was the real deal. Riley is just average. They have a few players but that's about it.  Adams? Is there a job vacancy about  to come open. The way their coach was bragging on tv after their scrimmage you would of thought the were a legit contender.   

Few thoughts on past weekend.  

Marian has athletes - they could run far with this team if they stay healthy and play well

NP line is huge - Some athletes in the backfield as well - have not looked at 4A north but they too could go down state.  Nice to see them throwing the ball as well opens up the run.  They can score.  The 6'7 soph is going to be a beast in 2 years if he works at it.  Nice to see SJ offense doing things against NP.  They did it without John Driscoll and had several longer pass plays.  I would say that may be the weakness of NP after seeing them in one game

See the SB paper did not have the Penn game stats again this weekend just like last weekend.  They played 2 major powers from out of state.  Much different then playing St Mary's and Br. Rice.

Mishawaka seems to be reloading.  

35 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Marian has athletes - they could run far with this team if they stay healthy and play well

I agree that Marian has athletes.  Especially in football, and boys and girls basketball.  This really seems to have changed from years past.  Curious what you feel the reason is for this.  

NP line is huge - Some athletes in the backfield as well - have not looked at 4A north but they too could go down state.  Nice to see them throwing the ball as well opens up the run.  They can score.  The 6'7 soph is going to be a beast in 2 years if he works at it.  Nice to see SJ offense doing things against NP.  They did it without John Driscoll and had several longer pass plays.  I would say that may be the weakness of NP after seeing them in one game

See the SB paper did not have the Penn game stats again this weekend just like last weekend.  They played 2 major powers from out of state.  Much different then playing St Mary's and Br. Rice.

Just wanted to throw it out there.  I know I was reading comments about St. Joe having issues early in the year with personal foul penalties.  Both NP and St Joe displayed great sportsmanship this week.  I was a little concerned after all the penalties both ways against each other last year that there might be a little carry over into this season.

2 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Marian sure does have some athletes. Wasn't #2 on Bremens state run team last year and a lineman? Think they have another transfer or two as well. Must love them private school fees.

NP is always weak on passing defense. 

Mishawaka is good but Adams defense is just that bad. They only kept Riley under 25 because Rileys offense is sub-par. Senator was Marians best player. Throwing 5 picks for 3 TDs. Told you Marian would pluck them out of the air. 😌.

I can't tell if Clay actually played Washington tuff in the first half only allowing 20 or Washington is that bad. Wash had them 47-0 at half last year. And Washington scored their remainder 20 in the 4th.  Seems like the refs had the feels for clay allowing that passing TD to stand when both receivers on right side were still getting set when QB threw the ball. And yes Washington is 3-1 but have played a Weak Hammond, KV and Clay who lacks fundamental work.

Glenn seemed to struggle on the offensive side. They'll have to focus on ball security this week. Any news on Glenns running back who got hurt in Bremen game?  Defense seemed to be playing well. Glenn held them to 14-0 at half and recovered a fumble at the start of the second half. Jimtown struggled to throw the ball on Glenn's D all night. They better clean that up if they expect to compete.

Oh how the Mighty Penn has fallen. Only winning program in the Granger/Oseola/Baugo area are the Osceola Grace Eagles who whalloped a terrible Gary Roosevelt on Saturday.  

I see Bremen got their first win. Nice to see them bounce back this week. 

come on Indian start up the week 5 thread 🤣

11 minutes ago, TurfToe said:

NP is always weak on passing defense. 

I’ll agree with you there.  The secondary is usually the soft spot.  I think Radtke is determined to stop the run and will make adjustments as needed against the pass.  I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a few of the offensive guys slide into the secondary when things get serious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, johnny U said:

Ben Downey knew when to leave Saint Joseph.  The talent was drying up fast and Coach Downey bolted.  If the talent was still there Coach Downey wouldn't have left using the age old excuse of spending more time with my family.  Coach Whitten has a big job ahead of him.

The talent wasn't drying up fast. SJ returned an athletic senior class, a scrappy, unselfish junior class, and a talented sophomore class. This was in '15 when 3 SB teams won 8 games, just b4 many of SB's finest players were convinced they should go elsewhere; this has made things much harder for SB coaches. I also didn't bolt; after years of struggling to find balance in my life I slowly walked away with a heavy heart considering SJ football meant and still means more to me than anything other than my faith, family, and friends. Speaking of family, the "age old excuse of spending time with my family" was as real as it gets for me and is/was for every single football coach that's ever picked up a whistle (and their wives). Coaches that find a way to continue coaching, coaches that step down, coaches that step down and return later, etc. all deal with an intense internal conflict that shouldn't be second guessed. A year ago I investigated the Mishawaka job, and their administrative support and overall resources were jaw-droppingly good, but my family wasn't ready, so I couldn't stay in the running. I'll investigate other positions as well, but I will only return to the sidelines if I can swing it with my family (the day I read your post each of my 3 kids had a practice in diff. locations). If that day comes I hope people that comment on it are more informed than you have been.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ben Downey said:
The talent wasn't drying up fast. SJ returned an athletic senior class, a scrappy, unselfish junior class, and a talented sophomore class. This was in '15 when 3 SB teams won 8 games, just b4 many of SB's finest players were convinced they should go elsewhere; this has made things much harder for SB coaches. I also didn't bolt; after years of struggling to find balance in my life I slowly walked away with a heavy heart considering SJ football meant and still means more to me than anything other than my faith, family, and friends. Speaking of family, the "age old excuse of spending time with my family" was as real as it gets for me and is/was for every single football coach that's ever picked up a whistle (and their wives). Coaches that find a way to continue coaching, coaches that step down, coaches that step down and return later, etc. all deal with an intense internal conflict that shouldn't be second guessed. A year ago I investigated the Mishawaka job, and their administrative support and overall resources were jaw-droppingly good, but my family wasn't ready, so I couldn't stay in the running. I'll investigate other positions as well, but I will only return to the sidelines if I can swing it with my family (the day I read your post each of my 3 kids had a practice in diff. locations). If that day comes I hope people that comment on it are more informed than you have been.

Hmmm, how do you feel about the color green? Never know, down the road. 

2 hours ago, Ben Downey said:

Having known Ben since his playing days at SJ and the amount of time he poured into the program you have to find your priorities.  Family 1st.  While I was disappointed to see him leave ( I am a strong believer in a SJ guy being the head coach like many parochial schools) I think many should look at this as an example that your family is and always should be # 1.