Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mercy Rule???

1 hour ago, Moshiner1345 said:

I'm the white hat and crew chief on my crew and still have yet to receive the above mentioned email via the IHSAA or football chair of the two associations of which I belong. 

We had this particular email read to us at a meeting, it was not forwarded. I have asked the chair and no one seems to know anything about the URL we're suppose to fill out if we have a running clock. 

1 hour ago, Moshiner1345 said:

I'm the white hat and crew chief on my crew and still have yet to receive the above mentioned email via the IHSAA or football chair of the two associations of which I belong. 

Neither have I but I know it exists. It was referenced briefly in a different email sent by our football chair.

3 hours ago, Moshiner1345 said:

You can go on MyIHSAA.net. The Mercy Rule was posted there under the Resources tab.  It was posted on July 29, 2019

Rules and Procedures

1.      Beginning with the second half of any high school football game, when the point differential between teams is at or reaches 35 points, the game clock shall convert to a running clock.  A running clock is defined as a clock that does not stop during play with the exception of timeouts, scores and/or injuries.

2.     Once the running clock is implemented, the clock may not revert back to standard timing protocols regardless of the score of the contest.

3.      The 40 second play clock shall remain in effect throughout the contest.

4.     Coaches do not have the ability to override the implementation of the Mercy Rule during a contest.  The Referee shall notify the head coach of each school when the Mercy Rule goes into effect.  The home team is responsible for notifying timing personnel of the running clock.

2 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I read it as they can’t override it being implemented. It’s absolutely stupid if it’s 41-0 in the 1st q and the losing coach asks for a running clock and we don’t give it to them. Another nonsense application of a rule that shouldn’t be that difficult 

If they want to do something they can shorten the 2nd quarter to 2 minutes or some other length.

6 hours ago, JustRules said:

If they want to do something they can shorten the 2nd quarter to 2 minutes or some other length.

Actually, they can’t under the current rule. The IHSAA has been very clear: adoption of the Mercy Rule trumps Rule 3-1-3, meaning it is the only alteration of the timing rules permitted.

10 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I read it as they can’t override it being implemented. It’s absolutely stupid if it’s 41-0 in the 1st q and the losing coach asks for a running clock and we don’t give it to them. Another nonsense application of a rule that shouldn’t be that difficult 

Same exact way I read the rule. And supposedly there is an interpretation out there by the IHSAA clarifying, but as you may have read throughout this thread, only select individuals have actually received the e-mail.

59 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Actually, they can’t under the current rule. The IHSAA has been very clear: adoption of the Mercy Rule trumps Rule 3-1-3, meaning it is the only alteration of the timing rules permitted.

Very clear to who? And with the way it’s written use your lawyer powers I read that coaches can’t over ride the implementation of the rule in the second half but I don’t see where that means they can’t use it in the first. How about this. ITS THE COACHE’S RULE! And if it’s 41-0 int he first and the coach says get me outta here you should be able to and I don’t see where you can’t. Coaches not being able to override the implementation of the rule to me means they can’t say no. I don’t see where it says they can’t say yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Bob-

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this. There is nowhere in the rule book that says one rule trumps another. The option for a state association to adopt a running clock is clearly addressed in rule 3-1-2; The option to shorten a period is clearly addressed in rule 3-1-3. They don't conflict with each other and one doesn't trump the other.

I also respectfully disagree with your comment that the IHSAA has been "very clear". There have been numerous posters on here who have not seen the communication that you are referencing.

image.png.980b025e4399d46b16546a21e5d1955d.png

27 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

Very clear to who? And with the way it’s written use your lawyer powers I read that coaches can’t over ride the implementation of the rule in the second half but I don’t see where that means they can’t use it in the first. How about this. ITS THE COACHE’S RULE! And if it’s 41-0 int he first and the coach says get me outta here you should be able to and I don’t see where you can’t. Coaches not being able to override the implementation of the rule to me means they can’t say no. I don’t see where it says they can’t say yes

23 minutes ago, Moshiner1345 said:

Bob-

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this. There is nowhere in the rule book that says one rule trumps another. The option for a state association to adopt a running clock is clearly addressed in rule 3-1-2; The option to shorten a period is clearly addressed in rule 3-1-3. They don't conflict with each other and one doesn't trump the other.

I also respectfully disagree with your comment that the IHSAA has been "very clear". There have been numerous posters on here who have not seen the communication that you are referencing.

image.png.980b025e4399d46b16546a21e5d1955d.png

You don’t need to quote the rule to me. I know what it says. I also know what the IHSAA has said on the subject. 

Hey, don’t kill the messenger. The IHSAA is the official source of rules interpretations in Indiana. Here is the text of the e-mail response I got from Robert Faulkens when I sought an interpretation of the overlap between 3-1-2 and 3-1-3 after what happened in the Delta game:

“NO!  Our State adoption supersedes Rule 3-1-3.  The Coaches have been informed.  The officials have been informed.  That should not have happened at Delta.”

The question I asked was whether coaches could agree to a running clock, or to shorten a period before the Mercy Rule goes into effect in the 2nd half.

Whether communication has been optimal or not, this is the rule in Indiana. If your issue is communication, take it up with your crew chief, your association’s football chair, or the IHSAA. But this is the rule.

Edited by Bobref

This is the email that I received from my Chair that I am assuming is at question:

ubject: Week 4

All,

The Fall Area Principal meetings have begun.  Thus far, the Mercy Rule has been an unqualified success.  Please remember to report those games where the Mercy Rule is enacted.  The weather over the next two weekends looks to be a challenge.  Please review both your weather delay procedures as well as your heat management guidelines.  Take care of yourselves as well as the athletes.

This is now the fourth week of the season and it is very disappointing that a Point of Emphasis is being ignored by our crews.  The penalty for uniform infractions has been removed.  The player needs to be sent off to become compliant.  The attached photos are taken from video of the first three  weeks of the season.  Three different crews, same issues.  Unacceptable.  Let’s get better.

There were also pictures attached to show the problem with knee pads...  Hopefully it was no crew on here!

18 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

We had this particular email read to us at a meeting, it was not forwarded. I have asked the chair and no one seems to know anything about the URL we're suppose to fill out if we have a running clock. 

Here’s the e-mail containing the link to be used to report Mercy Rule games:

“Please distribute to your Crew Chiefs/White Hats.  Complete for any game where the Mercy Rule is used.

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ea796daa4521

Robert E. Faulkens

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association”

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Here’s the e-mail containing the link to be used to report Mercy Rule games:

“Please distribute to your Crew Chiefs/White Hats.  Complete for any game where the Mercy Rule is used.

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ea796daa4521

Robert E. Faulkens

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association”

I had to do some digging to find this thread Saturday, but I found the URL and reported our game last Friday. I now have it bookmarked, I still don't understand why this can't be added to myihsaa.net?

The coaches can still agree to end or shorten any period, with or without a mercy rule. 

The mercy rule provision is just to allow the state to provide a "forced" shortening even without coach consent.

from bob’s Facebook post. This is how I see it just like the rest of the world. If the coaches agree to run the clock in the first half of a 63-0 game, run the clock if they both want to. In the second half they don’t have a choice. That’s what the rule says why does meridian or where they are want to make it more difficult then what it is. No where does it say you can’t run the clock in the first half if they agree. Totally wrong interpretation 

10 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

The mercy rule provision is just to allow the state to provide a "forced" shortening even without coach consent.

Just a clarification.  The IHSAA is not a governmental organization but a non-profit one.   Membership is voluntary.

33 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

The coaches can still agree to end or shorten any period, with or without a mercy rule. 

from bob’s Facebook post. This is how I see it just like the rest of the world. If the coaches agree to run the clock in the first half of a 63-0 game, run the clock if they both want to. In the second half they don’t have a choice. That’s what the rule says why does meridian or where they are want to make it more difficult then what it is. No where does it say you can’t run the clock in the first half if they agree. Totally wrong interpretation 

There is no place where it says you can run the clock either.  Only the shortening of periods... That's the right interpretation..

44 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

10 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

There is no place where it says you can run the clock either.  Only the shortening of periods... That's the right interpretation..

At this point, it’s moot. We have the Mercy Rule ... and that’s all we have.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed or is in this thread-- does the Mercy Rule apply the same way in the tournament? If so, it could even come into play in some late November games.

Yes, the Mercy Rule applies in the tournament.

The mercy rule ONLY applies during the first 3 weeks of the play offs per an email this week to ALL white hats.

1.        The Mercy Rule is in effect for the first three weeks of the tournament.  Please familiarize yourself with the Rule and make an appropriate and timely decision if necessary.  This is a good pre-game conversation with your clock crew among the other topics you should cover. 

2.       Please review the Mock Coin Toss mechanics and procedures.  Every crew needs to be rock solid on this mechanic as every game during the Tournament Series needs to be uniform with respect to the Mock Coin Toss. 

3.       In the event that you have to eject a player, coach, or administrator, send me a text with all of the pertinent information.  This needs to be done immediately following the conclusion of the game. Complete the ejection report within 12 hours of the contest.   DO NOT leave the stadium before you notify me of the ejection.  You should also report all other Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalties.  However, those reports that do not include an ejection should be completed within 24 hours of the conclusion of the contest.  Please remind Coaches of your sportsmanship expectations for them and their team during the pre-game conference.

4.       If you are miked during a contest, DO NOT give an offending player number when announcing a Penalty!   Penalty.  Offense/Defense.  Distance.  Down.    Example:   “Holding.  Offense.  Ten Yards from the spot of the foul.  Repeat Second Down.”

5.       Be sure to enforce all equipment and sideline Rules. 

6.       Treat each assignment as a State Finals contest.  Good Luck.  Have Fun!

• Thanks 1