Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU Basketball

Irishman

As I watched the “game” against Michigan, I was shocked by the overall lack of effort and energy. Looking like they did last night, they may not win another game this year. As frustrated as people were with Crean, he never had a team this bad. I cannot remember a time when an IU team lost 6 conference games in a row. Not sure what is going on, but there must be something off the court or in the locker room going on. Sure Michigan is a better team, but not 20 plus points better.

• Like 1

I’m not much of a BB fan, but occasionally I’m forced to watch, because my wife is. I watched the first half last night. My comment to my wife was I don’t think it would be too difficult for me to find 12 high school girls around here who mentally and physically tougher than what I saw in the first half from IU. They’re lazy, they don’t play hard, they act like they’re scared to death. 

Have no idea what the problem is, but I would guess Archie better figure it out soon, my guess is his seat’s getting a little warm.

• Like 1

I wonder if young Mr. Phinisee is rethinking his decision to attend I.U. instead of the hometown Boilermakers.

Honestly it seems like half the current I.U. squad is just biding time, thinking they can be "one and done" and then head to untold riches in the NBA.

• Like 1

dangers of the 1 and done culture:   

Painter hit it on the head in post game presser after IU game 

Why should some of the mid tier guys bust hump when they roll out red carpet for Romeo and knowing he is gone in 2 months, is he worth fighting for?  That culture worth fighting for?   I say yes, but their play says otherwise as it just seems when adversity has set in, the fight as flown away.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

dangers of the 1 and done culture:   

Painter hit it on the head in post game presser after IU game 

Why should some of the mid tier guys bust hump when they roll out red carpet for Romeo and knowing he is gone in 2 months, is he worth fighting for?  That culture worth fighting for?   I say yes, but their play says otherwise as it just seems when adversity has set in, the fight as flown away.  

The only program that seems able to sustain itself in that culture is Duke. Calipari was able to do it for a while. But once they fall off, it seems it’s difficult to recover. My guess is that Cal takes his show to Westwood next season. It may work for a while out there, as no one has mastered it out West. Coach K is head and shoulders above the crowd now. 

As far as Romeo goes, there might be issues, but is seems teams have figured out they can pack the lane as it is the only high percentage area for IU to score from. But the way the season started, the team at least worked hard, especially on defense. I do think something off the court happened. Not sure if Green’s suspension was a by product or a catalyst to what has happened. I am worried that a loss to Rutgers, which seems likely, will put Archie on the hot seat. Sure it is just his second year, but the lack of competitiveness against Michigan is just not what anyone would expect from an IU team. If he has lost the team, that is a difficult thing to overcome. 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I know its a big 10 road game, but calling it an IU MUST WIN vs Rutgers just shows you how the last few weeks has been unkind to IU 

without a doubt. Honestly, I cannot remember a time when IU EVER lost 6 conference games in a row.

Embarrassing, and painful to watch.

With Brohm and Painter at the helm of the two marquee programs, IU is in long term trouble.  The Hoosiers are so outclassed in the coaching department it is just sick.

I don't watch must basketball, but I was shocked to see Archie wearing tennis shoes with his suit on the sideline.  What a stupid look that was.  These young coaches need some coaching themselves.  I am so sick and tired about hearing how these "coaches" are molding  boys into men.  Archie looked like a boy himself on the sideline against Michigan.  He was pacing back and forth with a frantic look on his face, with no idea how to stop the Michigan onslaught.  This might be an all time low for Indiana University basketball.

I could have scored a layup on that IU defense, with two arthritic knees and a 3" vertical jump.  LOL  

Shameful.

Michigan looked like an NBA Team against IU.  How does that happen?

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

Agreed with except for the shoes thing. It was a Coaches Vs. Cancer awareness thing. Many coaches wore them that weekend.

Noted

But it reminded me of some of the new fashion statements being made by today's millennial crowd.

Kind of silly

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Not as silly as the game this evening. I saved myself the headache. It was a must win. As I stated before, they may not win another game. 

7BE93117-9401-4AAA-9708-6B371349EA13.jpeg

Wow   How long is Archies contract?  Bring back Dan Dakich

• 3 weeks later...

That was likely the final nail in the coffin on this season. Archie was spot on at his halftime interview. They were getting shots. They cannot miss so many from point blank range against a good shooting team like Purdue. Sure enough, continued missed shots inside hurt them. That said, at least they competed; which is something you cannot say about other recent games.

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

That was likely the final nail in the coffin on this season. Archie was spot on at his halftime interview. They were getting shots. They cannot miss so many from point blank range against a good shooting team like Purdue. Sure enough, continued missed shots inside hurt them. That said, at least they competed; which is something you cannot say about other recent games.

Is that the new standard for IU basketball? "at least they competed."

Sheesh.

I would rather see IU stop recruiting 5 star and McDonalds all Americans and build a MAC style team with 22 and 23 year old men playing into their senior seasons.

I could see Dakich building a roster with these types of players.  A better version of what he built at BG.

IU basketball is losing its fan base.  The hard core locals will continue to fill the gym, but alumni like myself are rapidly losing interest.  There is no continuity from year to year, team to team, roster to roster.  Its like an AAU team that retools very year.  That might work for KY and Duke, but not for Indiana.  

Edited by DT

Not at all satisfied with the "just competing". I said that merely from the standpoint of multiple games recently, including Saturday, where they simply showed no competitiveness at all. Had they played with the kind of hustle and competitiveness they did last night the entire season, They would have more wins and would definitely be in consideration for the tourney.

He is getting bad advice if he is a one and done. This season has proven he is not even close to ready for the pro ball. He very well could get stuck in the D league. He will lose a lot of fans if all of the sudden he has a break out rookie season; it would mean he just went through the motions this season with no real interest in the IU program. I did see a good picture of Landon Turner with him in the hallway with no one else around after the game. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall there.

This generation (Lord, I sound more like my Dad everyday) doesn't understand or take pride in the fact they GET to represent the name on the front of the jersey. 

There is definitely a chemistry issue with this team. Maybe a coaching issue. Although I'm a firm believer a coach needs 3-4 years to get his own players in the system. Not ready to jump ship but deeply disappointed. 

I'm inclined to think it is too much emphasis on the offense going thru only Romeo or Juwan. When Juwan went down with the injury a while ago, they seemed to respond by everyone looking for the open man instead of everyone looking for Romeo or Juwan. But what do I know I'm just a guy who buys a ticket once in a while.

• Like 1

Nice win for the Hoosiers today. It was nice to see the defense pick up in the 2nd half. They had not put together back to back games like this yet this season. I am still not sure they get in the tourney. There are always upsets in the conference tourneys which could be their undoing. But, they MUST win their last 3 and pull off a couple wins in the B1G tourney to have a real shot.

• Like 1