Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU Basketball

Irishman

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

Ugly game last night.

By both teams. While Purdue may be on the outside looking in, IU is very vulnerable. If a couple teams in other conferences get hot and run through their conference tourney, IU may be caught watching from home. We all know IU does not do well in the B1G tournament, so an early exit will hurt them. I still think if they win two more games to be considered. As I said though, it won’t matter if they do get in. They are out in round one. 

37 minutes ago, Irishman said:

By both teams. While Purdue may be on the outside looking in, IU is very vulnerable. If a couple teams in other conferences get hot and run through their conference tourney, IU may be caught watching from home. We all know IU does not do well in the B1G tournament, so an early exit will hurt them. I still think if they win two more games to be considered. As I said though, it won’t matter if they do get in. They are out in round one. 

I'll call a spade a spade: Purdue's not in this year.  It would take beating both Iowa & Rutgers this coming week and two wins in the BTT.  Silver lining time: most everybody, other than Tommy Luce and Evan Boudreaux are coming back.  Additionally, two real talented guards and a 7-3 center are incoming recruits to keep the future bright.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about the wheels coming off late. IU was cruising; up 8 points, Wisconsin in foul trouble, and the bad 3’s start coming. Frustrating end to what has been a frustrating season. There is talent on this team, but that talent underachieved yet again. I think this puts them on the wrong side of the bubble. As I have been saying for some time now, even IF they do get in, they will not win a game. This loss likely drops them to an 11 seed, again IF they get in. In my mind, they have not done enough to get in. 

Not enough?! They have a top 25 strength of record. 6 ranked wins and 5 quad 1 wins and no bad losses. They've done plenty. Sure today would have helped but they're in the NCAA tournament. Some of the best bracketologists have them as a 9 seed. I don't see any way you can leave them out.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, wvigo13 said:

Not enough?! They have a top 25 strength of record. 6 ranked wins and 5 quad 1 wins and no bad losses. They've done plenty. Sure today would have helped but they're in the NCAA tournament. Some of the best bracketologists have them as a 9 seed. I don't see any way you can leave them out.

Does that include a loss to Nebraska? 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 10:00 PM, psaboy said:

Justin Smith leaving program as grad transfer. This will hurt, he led team in minutes last year and should have been key starter for Hoosiers this coming fall. Something seems amiss in B-Town??

I was going to listen to the Dakich thing today. If that is true, Miller will stay put then. 

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I was going to listen to the Dakich thing today. If that is true, Miller will stay put then. 

I don't subscribe to Sirius XM, guess he does a show on there on Saturday mornings. I do listen to him in 1070 the fan during the week days. Yesterday's show was mostly IU stuff, had Matt Painter on, he is always good to listen too. He is a really good coach, gets a lot out of the talent he has. You can listen to Dakich on Podcasts as well, if you like. 

• Like 1

I just listened. When I heard IU is de emphasizing basketball, my thought before listening was after Crean departed and some of the off court issues with his players, and some on campus stuff, the school may have said it. The team was fairly relevant for a couple years under Crean....just had tournament flops, but still competed and were in the mix with the top teams. 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, Irishman said:

I just listened. When I heard IU is de emphasizing basketball, my thought before listening was after Crean departed and some of the off court issues with his players, and some on campus stuff, the school may have said it. The team was fairly relevant for a couple years under Crean....just had tournament flops, but still competed and were in the mix with the top teams. 

I think the program really made a mistake in hiring Sampson. IMO that is when all started trending down. I actually liked Crean, came in and cleaned up program and good recruiter, average coach though. 

3 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I think the program really made a mistake in hiring Sampson. IMO that is when all started trending down. I actually liked Crean, came in and cleaned up program and good recruiter, average coach though. 

I thought at the time  that Sampson was a great hire. What is crazy is that everything he did to get in trouble is now allowed. I agree with your assessment of Crean; great recruiter, but ok as a coach. When Miller did come in though, there were off court issues he had to deal with from a few of Crean's players. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wanted: IU donor to write check for Brad Stevens

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/03/06/indiana-gap-grows-between-purdue-iu-basketball-archie-miller-falls-again/6843665002/

(Note: story is behind a paywall)

IU basketball coach Archie Miller has a team that can’t shoot straight or think straight, a bad combination on most days and a killer combo against an opponent that does both well. An opponent like Purdue, in other words, which beat the Hoosiers 67-58 on Saturday for its ninth consecutive win in the series, 7-0 against Miller.

The most telling moment came late in the second half, with the Hoosiers trying to rally from a 12-point deficit. They’ve cut the Purdue lead to 53-45 with 4½ minutes left, and on the bench, Archie is sensing his team’s moment. He pulls down his mask as he tends to do, points at his head with both hands and shouts to his players:

“Hey – hey!” he’s yelling, touching his temples. “Be smart!”

On the court, IU freshman Trey Galloway is driving the baseline, picking up his dribble and jumping, and realizing he has nowhere to throw the ball. He’s been doing that all year, attacking the rim with absolutely no plan once he gets there, an indictment of himself and the coaching staff, and he throws it to Purdue guard Eric Hunter. Now the ball is going the other way and Hunter is attacking the rim, where 7-4 Purdue teammate Zach Edey is dunking home the offensive rebound and bellowing out in that deep voice of his:

Bahhhhhhhh!

A snapshot, right there, of two programs going in different directions.

One plays smart, shoots well and improves as the season goes along.

The other is IU.

Meanwhile, IU.

What can you say? It’s not working, clearly, Archie Miller’s tenure. Exhibit F: His freshman class, ranked No. 2 in the Big Ten, has regressed to the point where those four players combined for one field goal and five turnovers in 38 minutes Saturday.

Player stagnation is among the reasons Miller has had the same basic team for four years in a row: Missing too many shots, making too many mistakes, and losing too often in league play. In his four seasons in Bloomington, the Hoosiers have gone 9-9, 8-12, 9-11 and 7-12 in the Big Ten.

Every game, it’s the same thing. The Hoosiers shot 38.5% from the floor and 21.7% on 3-pointers (5-for-23) Saturday, including 1-for-13 from distance in the first half, when this game was decided. And nobody misses shots like this IU team misses shots, leading me to create a new header on my legal pad when I take notes during an IU game: Horrible misses.

I’m serious. Here’s what went into that column Saturday:

Khristian Lander, 3-pointer off the glass from the front. Al Durham, air-balls 3. Jerome Hunter, 3-pointer off the glass from elbow. Anthony Leal, overshoots rim on 3 from elbow. Rob Phinisee, air-balls 3 short. Durham drives at Zach Edey, reverse, no rim, no chance.

Without Armaan Franklin (foot), IU has one above-average player, likely All-American Trayce Jackson-Davis, who barely reached half his season averages with 12 points and five rebounds Saturday. It’s not all his fault, though. Jackson-Davis went 13 minutes without a shot in the first half, when IU was seeing its 7-0 lead become a 28-16 deficit.

This team can’t shoot and doesn’t play smart, and has the 12-14 record (7-12 Big Ten) to show for it.

“We’re just struggling shooting the ball,” Miller said, and when I asked about his team’s basketball IQ a little later, he spoke more truth: “Offensively we need to get smarter.”

That’s one team from Saturday’s game, the one whose fanbase is waiting for a rich donor to buy out Miller and throw a blank check at Brad Stevens or John Beilein.

The other team Saturday, the one that shoots well and plays smart and gets better as the season rolls along? That’s just Purdue doing what Purdue does. You know, what IU used to do.

Why did Mr. Miller and his coaching staff stop coaching? Or is it the players who have basically stopped listening?

On 3/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, Muda69 said:

Wanted: IU donor to write check for Brad Stevens

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/03/06/indiana-gap-grows-between-purdue-iu-basketball-archie-miller-falls-again/6843665002/

(Note: story is behind a paywall)

Why did Mr. Miller and his coaching staff stop coaching? Or is it the players who have basically stopped listening?

7-0.  Sounds familiar

Meyer vs Harbaugh

I know that I in no way shape or form have any understanding how this works but honestly I feel as though Dolson has to come at this from a postion of power. My thought is you could present Archie with 3 options 

1) restructure your current contract, up the incentives for next season (finish in top half of Big 10, Make the tourney, advance in Big ten/NCAA tourney) and eliminate the buy out to basically zero for the end of next season. 

2) negotiate a decrease in current buyout (5 mil to walk away right now and you don't have to seek employment that decreases cost of buyout) 

3) tell Archie if he doesn't like option 1 or 2 then you will not issue any statement what-so-ever and he can sink or swim next year knowing if he doesn't get it going he's gone next April and can spend the entire off season stuck in house and know every time he losses a game he's gonna have to listen to fire Archie chants in assembly hall and wish him good luck. 

But I'm just a fan wishing for better days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

FTA:

Given the university’s very tight financial situation in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, private philanthropic funding has been obtained for all transition costs and obligations related to the change in leadership," Dolson said in the release. "We worked to secure the necessary private support following my recommendation to President McRobbie, ensuring that there would be no charges to the university budget."

Looks like the rich IU alum's easily coughed up the $10.3 million needed to buy out Mr. Miller's contract.