Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU Basketball

Irishman

Gregg Doyel chimes in:  IU gambled, lost on Archie Miller. No more gambles. Get a sure thing. You know his name.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/03/15/iu-basketball-fired-archie-miller-get-star-like-brad-stevens-tony-bennett/4703674001/

(Note: Article is behind a paywall)

IU didn’t fire Archie Miller just so it could repeat that mistake. A school in a pandemic, already devoting more capital than ever to its rising football program, does not spend $10.3 million of someone else’s money to rid itself of one bad gamble. Not if the next move is simply to roll the dice again.

No, IU has something big in mind. Whether it has someone big already lined up, we’ll see. But first-year IU athletic director Scott Dolson wouldn’t have fired someone who has had his back — when Fred Glass resigned as AD after the 2019-20 school year, Archie Miller backed Dolson to the IU administration — and done that at a cost of $10 million without a grand plan to fix this mess once and for all.

And make no mistake, IU basketball is a mess. Since firing Bob Knight in 2000, the school has been through four coaches — three gambles of varying degrees, one sure thing — and seen all three gambles fail: Mike Davis, Tom Crean, Archie Miller. And the sure thing was a complete and utter failure, because bona fide winner Kelvin Sampson, who’d been busted by the NCAA for cheating at Oklahoma, couldn’t stop cheating. He got caught at IU, he got fired, and 13 years later IU basketball remains a mess.

So what now? You know what now. IU has something big in mind.

It better.

Brad Stevens would satisfy everybody. Young IU fans, old IU fans. Bob Knight diehards, and the analytic dudes the old-timers are ordering off their lawn. If you’re an IU fan and Brad Stevens wouldn’t satisfy you, well, keep that to yourself. Because that’s embarrassing. Brad Stevens would be perfect.

Is he coming? Don’t ask me. At this point we’re all in the same boat, looking for reasons to believe this guy would say yes or that guy would say no, and this seems like the time for Brad Stevens to say yes. He’s given the NBA a fair shot, this being his eighth season with the Boston Celtics, and no, you self-important blowhards in Boston, I’m not suggesting the IU job is a promotion. What I’m suggesting: Stevens has given the NBA a run, has had plenty of talent, and it just hasn’t worked out. Not at a level where you’d say: Clearly he’ll stay an NBA coach for the rest of his life.

Brad Stevens is an Indiana kid through and through, playing at Zionsville and DePauw, then rejecting a job making big bucks to work for literally nothing at Butler. You know the story. It’ll be a movie someday, if he comes back to Indiana and leads the Hoosiers to a national title.

Is this the day? Well, IU just spent $10 million it didn’t have — you wonder: which donors wrote those checks? — to get rid of a coach faster than it got rid of Mike Davis, who had six seasons in Bobby’s old chair, and Tom Crean, who had nine years. Sampson had just two years, but in those two years he set back IU a decade. Houston, meanwhile, is No. 2 seed in the 2021 NCAA tournament. Sampson coaches Houston. He’s a savant, I’m telling you.

IU needs a savant right now, but obviously a clean one. Brad Stevens is a savant — back-to-back NCAA titles games, at Butler — and he’s so clean, surgeons dry sanitized scalpels with his shirt. Seriously, he’s perfect.

IU has to hire perfect. It has tried the other way for too long, the other way being the way most schools make a hire: Do the research, vet the candidates, identify someone on the rise, roll the dice.

Surely you’ve been listening to me. IU cannot roll the dice anymore. You listening to me, Scott Dolson? DO NOT ROLL THE DICE.

You’re IU basketball, for God’s sake. Remember who you were, once. Be who you want to be, again. You listening, Scott? Hello?

Nah, he can’t hear me. Probably on the phone with the superstar coach he has lined up.

He better be. I hope the area code is 617. Don’t bother looking it up. That’s Boston.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, Muda69 said:

Gregg Doyel chimes in:  IU gambled, lost on Archie Miller. No more gambles. Get a sure thing. You know his name.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/03/15/iu-basketball-fired-archie-miller-get-star-like-brad-stevens-tony-bennett/4703674001/

Won’t happen

On 3/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, Muda69 said:

Honestly, I don’t think it was a gamble. Fred glass did his home work.  Midwest success. 4 years in row making ncaa. 1 year reaching elite 8. Young. Good Basketball family. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

Honestly, I don’t think it was a gamble. Fred glass did his home work.  Midwest success. 4 years in row making ncaa. 1 year reaching elite 8. Young. Good Basketball family. 

I agree....It's easy to look back now and judge, but at the time, it looked like the right move. I am not sure what happened, but the program never really did improve. 

One of the places that has higher expectations than IU is Boston. They are currently the 5 seed in the conference. being competitive is not enough for Celtics fans. They are just 20-18 as of today. The timing may be just right for Stevens to start over somewhere else. No better place than Bloomington. When it comes to big named coaches, there just are not that many out there. There are a few other names if Stevens is not the guy. I think both Calbert Cheaney and Dane Fife have paid their dues. A name not mentioned much is Scott Drew. he has done well at Baylor and has them as a 1 seed this year. I hear Thad Matta's name thrown around. That one is intriguing. One other name I will throw out there......Tommy Amaker at Harvard. he has done well there for some time. If a culture change is needed, he would be good fit. 

What may be just as important this time around though, is names to avoid

Topping that list is Rick Pitino; just WAY too much baggage. Next is Steve Alford.......while I was a fan of his as a player, I just don't believe he has ever shown he is a great head coach. My guess is that John Calipari's time at UK is coming to an end. I say stay away as I am not sure IU folks are willing to take the path that UK did to succeed. We still like to think of IU as an actual school still and not just a developmental system for the NBA; which is what UK became under Cal. John Beilein is next. He is 68 years old. Great coach, don't get me wrong, but can he commit to a complete rebuild of a program? 

The other names may have to deal with the "Archie hangover". Resume's look good right now, buuuuuuut. None of the names really make anyone think, this is a home run. 

The irony in this is that Kelvin Sampson will be coaching in the tournament at IU this week. I really liked him as a head coach. I did not like his willfulness to break the same rules that got him in trouble at Oklahoma. The crazy part is that what he was busted for is now legal in the NCAA. Bring him back to IU???? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

you hear what you want to hear but that sounds like a guy that is seriously considering something. I'm not saying its going to happen there seems to be more to this. 

It also gives Ainge an out if he were looking for one. He could encourage Stevens to go for it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Irishman said:

I agree....It's easy to look back now and judge, but at the time, it looked like the right move. I am not sure what happened, but the program never really did improve. 

Yep.  If an IU basketball coach can't get into the NCAA tournament, and just as importantly can't beat Purdue, then he isn't welcome in Bloomington for that long.

• Like 1

Here’s one take on the candidates for the IU job:

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/dr-bos-indiana-basketball-coaching-candidates-hot-sheet-vol-1/article_dbf26b82-8751-11eb-baad-83374c595a1c.html 

Dr. Bo's Indiana basketball coaching candidates Hot Sheet, Vol. 1

Rick Bozich

Mar 17, 2021 Updated Mar 17, 2021

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Some people say Indiana needs an Indiana guy to lift its basketball program from the malaise that has surrounded Hoosier basketball for nearly two decades.

I say they are wrong.

I say Indiana needs a coach the Big Ten and college basketball will respect and often fear.

A guy who has proven that he can win and that Indiana will compensate with a package that the market demands.

A coach who will signal that Indiana means business about returning to the top of the Big Ten. Not a coach who'll have to learn on the job.

I said it before, but people refuse to listen, so I’ll say it again: Bob Knight was an Ohio State guy before he arrived in Bloomington in 1971.

Mike Krzyzewski was a West Point guy. John Calipari was a Clarion State guy. John Wooden was a Purdue guy.

Knight became an Indiana guy by going to two Final Fours and winning parts of four Big Ten titles in his first five seasons.

Ditto for Coach K, Coach Cal, the Wizard of Westwood and many others.

That guiding principle, along with information I collected from sources I trust, resulted in this project: Doctor Bo’s Indiana Coaching Hot Sheet, Volume 1:

Chris Beard, Texas Tech

Why It Works: Winner. Came within an overtime of winning the 2019 national title. In Lubbock, Texas. His teams have ranked in the top 25 nationally in defensive efficiency four straight seasons. The offense has been top 50 in the same period. At Texas Tech. In the Big 12. Credits Knight for some of his success. Has the personality to command the room. Already has 2 wins over Purdue. Has the fear factor.

Why It Doesn’t: The man makes $4.8 million in a state with no income tax, along with a buyout of more than $2 million. He’s the Lord of Lubbock, master of a program that he constructed. No pressure to leave. Strong family ties in Texas. There are no connections to Indiana or the Midwest other than the 10 years Beard invested as an assistant coach to both Bob and Pat Knight at Texas Tech.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 31%

John Beilein, former Michigan coach

Why It Works: Another winner. Two national championship games at Michigan, which was a mess when he took over from Tommy Amaker. Major success at West Virginia, which was irrelevant when Beilein arrived. Track record of developing and winning with players who were not top-75 recruits — and getting them to the NBA. His fear factor comes from his ability to out-coach you not because of the force of his personality.

Why It Doesn’t: Turned 68 in early February. Needed six seasons to get the Wolverines beyond the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. Failed to survive a single NBA season in Cleveland, losing the locker room with strange practice demands and by referring to his players as a “bunch of thugs.” Although Beilein insisted that he meant to use the word “slugs” instead of “thugs,” his NBA career was essentially over.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 25%

Calbert Cheaney, Pacers assistant, former IU all-American

Why It Works: One of the most popular players in IU history as well as the Big Ten’s leading scorer. Has experience working with players in college and the NBA. Thoughtful and excellent communicator. Relates well to players. Would follow the model established by Juwan Howard at Michigan and Patrick Ewing at Georgetown. Has support of several former IU players.

Why It Doesn’t: Not only does he lack head coaching experience, Cheaney has never been a No. 1 assistant. Turned down an opportunity to upgrade from an operations guy to assistant coach at IU under Tom Crean. Lacks the name recognition of Howard and Ewing. Would require a staff with strong, veteran college experience. No fear factor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 13%

Scott Drew, Baylor

Why It Works: Architect of one of the top rebuilding jobs in college basketball, raising a program leveled by the murder of a player and NCAA probation into a consistent Big 12 power. Evolved from a coach fixated on 4- and 5-star prospects to a guy who has won with player development of lesser recruits and transfers. Could win the 2021 national title. Grew up in northern Indiana where he coached Valparaiso. Modest Fear Factor.

Why It Doesn’t: Happy in Waco, where they’ll give him a statue when he retires. Believes in don’t mess with happy. In a 2012 poll at CBSSports.com, Drew ranked second to Calipari in a poll question about guys that opposing coaches considered to be cheating. Has detractors in Indiana AAU circles because of his recruitment of former IU player Hanner Mosquera-Perea. Some wonder if he’s using the IU job to squeeze a raise from Baylor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 10%

Brad Stevens, Boston Celtics

Why It Works: The slam-dunk No.1 recruit for IU fans since he directed Butler to back-to-back national championship games in 2010-11. Smart, innovative, universally respected. Eight years of NBA head coaching experience in Boston. The son of a former IU football player, whose father took him to Assembly Hall for three or four games every season. Grand slam. Total package. Definite Fear and Complete Respect Factor.

Why It Doesn’t: Has a job he loves with the Celtics. Has repeatedly confirmed his commitment there. Would be hired by another NBA franchise immediately if the Celtics went another direction. Not gaga about recruiting but would be a top candidate for the Duke or North Carolina jobs when Mike Krzyzewski and Roy Williams retire. 

Dr. Bo Percentage: 7%

Eric Musselman, Arkansas

Why It Works: Has the Razorbacks in the top 10 in his second season in Fayetteville after the program spent several decades in the wilderness. Advocate of the modern game as evidenced by Arkansas ranking No. 17 in tempo. Won at Nevada.

Why It Doesn’t: Recruiting heavily reliant on transfers. Just got to Fayetteville, and a source I trust says he has no interest in the job. Slim Fear Factor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 6%

Thad Matta, former Ohio State coach

Why It Works: Best winning percentage in Ohio State history. Won five Big Ten regular season titles and three Big Ten Tournament titles (what are those?). A couple of Final Fours. Also won big at Xavier. Midwest guy who understands what the Indiana job demands. Has recruited well in Indiana.

Why It Doesn’t: Lost his mojo late in his Ohio State run. Failed to make NCAA Tournament in his final two seasons. Failed to advance to the Sweet 16 in his final four seasons. Health was not 100% and that appeared to affect his recruiting. Has turned down other college options. Minimal Fear Factor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 5%

Everybody Else

Why It Works: Because Indiana needs a coach

Why It Doesn’t: Because they aren’t the names higher on the list. Nothing to fear but another coaching change in four years.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 3%.

As an IU fan of course my heart wants Stevens more than anything in the world. I DO think he is considering it what's the harm in that? At anytime he can definitively say no which he has yet to do.

My ultimate belief is IU has made him a ridiculous offer, he has said I need some time to think about it which is ok with IU because their other candidates are coaching in the tourney right now anyway they will do all in on Brad until he truly says no.

from there I think they go after Beard if he says thanks but no thanks then they look to Matta/Beilien 

I might be off and have 0 inside info or anything but the thing that makes me most excited as an IU fan is the fact that the all of the names mentioned so far are MASSIVE upgrades IMHO. Last time I remember reading articles that had a TON of Mid-Major coaches on the list seems like they were always going to go in that direction (minus the Billy D rumors) . Just call me the IU optimistic fan but I'm much more excited this time around thanks too Scott Dolson ! 

27 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

As an IU fan of course my heart wants Stevens more than anything in the world. I DO think he is considering it what's the harm in that? At anytime he can definitively say no which he has yet to do.

My ultimate belief is IU has made him a ridiculous offer, he has said I need some time to think about it which is ok with IU because their other candidates are coaching in the tourney right now anyway they will do all in on Brad until he truly says no.

Or, he could be waiting until the end of the NBA season to see if he gets fired when the Celtics underachieve ... again.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:52 AM, Bobref said:

Here’s one take on the candidates for the IU job:

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/dr-bos-indiana-basketball-coaching-candidates-hot-sheet-vol-1/article_dbf26b82-8751-11eb-baad-83374c595a1c.html 

Dr. Bo's Indiana basketball coaching candidates Hot Sheet, Vol. 1

Rick Bozich

Mar 17, 2021 Updated Mar 17, 2021

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Some people say Indiana needs an Indiana guy to lift its basketball program from the malaise that has surrounded Hoosier basketball for nearly two decades.

I say they are wrong.

I say Indiana needs a coach the Big Ten and college basketball will respect and often fear.

A guy who has proven that he can win and that Indiana will compensate with a package that the market demands.

A coach who will signal that Indiana means business about returning to the top of the Big Ten. Not a coach who'll have to learn on the job.

I said it before, but people refuse to listen, so I’ll say it again: Bob Knight was an Ohio State guy before he arrived in Bloomington in 1971.

Mike Krzyzewski was a West Point guy. John Calipari was a Clarion State guy. John Wooden was a Purdue guy.

Knight became an Indiana guy by going to two Final Fours and winning parts of four Big Ten titles in his first five seasons.

Ditto for Coach K, Coach Cal, the Wizard of Westwood and many others.

That guiding principle, along with information I collected from sources I trust, resulted in this project: Doctor Bo’s Indiana Coaching Hot Sheet, Volume 1:

Chris Beard, Texas Tech

Why It Works: Winner. Came within an overtime of winning the 2019 national title. In Lubbock, Texas. His teams have ranked in the top 25 nationally in defensive efficiency four straight seasons. The offense has been top 50 in the same period. At Texas Tech. In the Big 12. Credits Knight for some of his success. Has the personality to command the room. Already has 2 wins over Purdue. Has the fear factor.

Why It Doesn’t: The man makes $4.8 million in a state with no income tax, along with a buyout of more than $2 million. He’s the Lord of Lubbock, master of a program that he constructed. No pressure to leave. Strong family ties in Texas. There are no connections to Indiana or the Midwest other than the 10 years Beard invested as an assistant coach to both Bob and Pat Knight at Texas Tech.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 31%

John Beilein, former Michigan coach

Why It Works: Another winner. Two national championship games at Michigan, which was a mess when he took over from Tommy Amaker. Major success at West Virginia, which was irrelevant when Beilein arrived. Track record of developing and winning with players who were not top-75 recruits — and getting them to the NBA. His fear factor comes from his ability to out-coach you not because of the force of his personality.

Why It Doesn’t: Turned 68 in early February. Needed six seasons to get the Wolverines beyond the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. Failed to survive a single NBA season in Cleveland, losing the locker room with strange practice demands and by referring to his players as a “bunch of thugs.” Although Beilein insisted that he meant to use the word “slugs” instead of “thugs,” his NBA career was essentially over.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 25%

Calbert Cheaney, Pacers assistant, former IU all-American

Why It Works: One of the most popular players in IU history as well as the Big Ten’s leading scorer. Has experience working with players in college and the NBA. Thoughtful and excellent communicator. Relates well to players. Would follow the model established by Juwan Howard at Michigan and Patrick Ewing at Georgetown. Has support of several former IU players.

Why It Doesn’t: Not only does he lack head coaching experience, Cheaney has never been a No. 1 assistant. Turned down an opportunity to upgrade from an operations guy to assistant coach at IU under Tom Crean. Lacks the name recognition of Howard and Ewing. Would require a staff with strong, veteran college experience. No fear factor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 13%

Scott Drew, Baylor

Why It Works: Architect of one of the top rebuilding jobs in college basketball, raising a program leveled by the murder of a player and NCAA probation into a consistent Big 12 power. Evolved from a coach fixated on 4- and 5-star prospects to a guy who has won with player development of lesser recruits and transfers. Could win the 2021 national title. Grew up in northern Indiana where he coached Valparaiso. Modest Fear Factor.

Why It Doesn’t: Happy in Waco, where they’ll give him a statue when he retires. Believes in don’t mess with happy. In a 2012 poll at CBSSports.com, Drew ranked second to Calipari in a poll question about guys that opposing coaches considered to be cheating. Has detractors in Indiana AAU circles because of his recruitment of former IU player Hanner Mosquera-Perea. Some wonder if he’s using the IU job to squeeze a raise from Baylor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 10%

Brad Stevens, Boston Celtics

Why It Works: The slam-dunk No.1 recruit for IU fans since he directed Butler to back-to-back national championship games in 2010-11. Smart, innovative, universally respected. Eight years of NBA head coaching experience in Boston. The son of a former IU football player, whose father took him to Assembly Hall for three or four games every season. Grand slam. Total package. Definite Fear and Complete Respect Factor.

Why It Doesn’t: Has a job he loves with the Celtics. Has repeatedly confirmed his commitment there. Would be hired by another NBA franchise immediately if the Celtics went another direction. Not gaga about recruiting but would be a top candidate for the Duke or North Carolina jobs when Mike Krzyzewski and Roy Williams retire. 

Dr. Bo Percentage: 7%

Eric Musselman, Arkansas

Why It Works: Has the Razorbacks in the top 10 in his second season in Fayetteville after the program spent several decades in the wilderness. Advocate of the modern game as evidenced by Arkansas ranking No. 17 in tempo. Won at Nevada.

Why It Doesn’t: Recruiting heavily reliant on transfers. Just got to Fayetteville, and a source I trust says he has no interest in the job. Slim Fear Factor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 6%

Thad Matta, former Ohio State coach

Why It Works: Best winning percentage in Ohio State history. Won five Big Ten regular season titles and three Big Ten Tournament titles (what are those?). A couple of Final Fours. Also won big at Xavier. Midwest guy who understands what the Indiana job demands. Has recruited well in Indiana.

Why It Doesn’t: Lost his mojo late in his Ohio State run. Failed to make NCAA Tournament in his final two seasons. Failed to advance to the Sweet 16 in his final four seasons. Health was not 100% and that appeared to affect his recruiting. Has turned down other college options. Minimal Fear Factor.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 5%

Everybody Else

Why It Works: Because Indiana needs a coach

Why It Doesn’t: Because they aren’t the names higher on the list. Nothing to fear but another coaching change in four years.

Dr. Bo Percentage: 3%.

Mike Woodson on this list? He really has an inside to the high school coaches. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

He just signed an extension in February that has him there through the 26-27 season

If I’m IU my response would be, “And?”  If he is their guy, Cuban will find a way. 

10 hours ago, DE said:

If I’m IU my response would be, “And?”  If he is their guy, Cuban will find a way. 

On the surface, all the above mentioned coaches have had success in the public eye.where it gets difficult for the Athletes director ,is all the peripheral stuff he has to dig around for. Time consuming job for the decision makers.

While I don’t know the psyche of Scott Dolsen , I have a good feeling he will get the “Guy”. He has the pulse of the University and the people who support it. 
He has been around the program for all of his adult life, education included. And the gonads ,to pull the trigger ,for a $10 million buy out. Something Fred Glass didn’t have, when dealing with the Crean situation. 

Well, as far as the visual goes, it does not appear that Chris Beard or any other coach who has had the season end are on the priority list for Dolson. I think he had a person in mind when he dumped Miller. I am thinking that person is coaching a team who has not had their season end yet. 

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

Well, as far as the visual goes, it does not appear that Chris Beard or any other coach who has had the season end are on the priority list for Dolson. I think he had a person in mind when he dumped Miller. I am thinking that person is coaching a team who has not had their season end yet. 

Well , this makes sense. Why wait, when time is precious, unless you have to wait. 
So you have it narrowed down? 
Give you three guesses 

NAME that coach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southend said:

Well , this makes sense. Why wait, when time is precious, unless you have to wait. 
So you have it narrowed down? 
Give you three guesses 

NAME that coach.

Man, I wish I could name him.....still hopeful it is Stevens. 

10 minutes ago, DE said:

Still going w the guy from Alabama.  Call it a hunch.

Well I’m not privy to any decision making , that hunch is as good as any right now. Irish said it, the delay here now, is wait for the candidate to bow out of the tournament. Since we know Stevens is 99% out.  

27 minutes ago, southend said:

Since we know Stevens is 99% out.  

That 1% may be pretty significant. The Celtics are going nowhere and are again underachieving. I wonder how much patience Ainge is going to have. Clearly, without a solid indication, IU can’t wait until the NBA season is over to fill that vacancy. But I wouldn’t be surprised if, come June, Stevens is looking for a job.