Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU Basketball

Irishman

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

That 1% may be pretty significant. The Celtics are going nowhere and are again underachieving. I wonder how much patience Ainge is going to have. Clearly, without a solid indication, IU can’t wait until the NBA season is over to fill that vacancy. But I wouldn’t be surprised if, come June, Stevens is looking for a job.

U R right, on both counts.  That’s the reason for the 99.  And Stevens really has not produced in New England.  
Again, time is critical in theses situations. But it it’s a step by step processes and situations are continually changing as time is passing. 
This is why AD’s make the Big bucks. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

Well I’m not privy to any decision making , that hunch is as good as any right now. Irish said it, the delay here now, is wait for the candidate to bow out of the tournament. Since we know Stevens is 99% out.  

Agreed.  It reminds me of the NFL season.  Teams fire coaches on Monday after week 17.  Usually hire quickly unless their guy is still coaching in the playoffs.  Once that guy's season is over, it normally means they will be named HC of team "A".

Outside candidate is Scott Drew.  Though I do not know why he would leave Baylor.

38 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That 1% may be pretty significant. The Celtics are going nowhere and are again underachieving. I wonder how much patience Ainge is going to have. Clearly, without a solid indication, IU can’t wait until the NBA season is over to fill that vacancy. But I wouldn’t be surprised if, come June, Stevens is looking for a job.

With this said, how much patience do the Celtics have with Ainge?  From the VERY far, it appears a lot.

Edited by DE

Looks like IU is close to hiring....don't hate the move, but his entire career has been in the NBA; no experience with recruiting is a concern. I will have to find it, but a friend is saying that Thad Matta is going to be an assistant AD. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31154586/deal-mike-woodson-indiana-appears-imminent-sources-say-hoosiers-hone-their-next-men-basketball-coach

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Looks like IU is close to hiring....don't hate the move, but his entire career has been in the NBA; no experience with recruiting is a concern. I will have to find it, but a friend is saying that Thad Matta is going to be an assistant AD. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31154586/deal-mike-woodson-indiana-appears-imminent-sources-say-hoosiers-hone-their-next-men-basketball-coach

He's no spring chicken either, but at least he has IU ties. We'll see what happens. If he can get the team back on track, that's the important thing.

• Like 1

Woodson?  Looks like IU is hoping to have the same success with Woodson as Michigan has had with Howard.  I don't see it, but I don't make the decisions at IU.  He'll  be gone in 3 years if they don't make the tournament in that time.  IU has been crap since Glass ran Bobby out of Bloomington.

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Disdain 1

11 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Woodson?  Looks like IU is hoping to have the same success with Woodson as Michigan has had with Howard.  I don't see it, but I don't make the decisions at IU. 

Or ... perhaps the thought process goes something like this:

In order to return IU to the top tier of NCAA teams, you’ve got to recruit players who are potential NBA players. Woodson’s entire 25 yrs. of coaching experience is in the NBA. He knows how to prepare kids for the next level. That could be an attractive selling point to recruits. His past glory at IU will earn him the necessary grace period with the alums and boosters so that he can rebuild the program.

That’s one way to explain it.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

In order to return IU to the top tier of NCAA teams, you’ve got to recruit players who are potential NBA players. Woodson’s entire 25 yrs. of coaching experience is in the NBA. He knows how to prepare kids for the next level. That could be an attractive selling point to recruits. His past glory at IU will earn him the necessary grace period with the alums and boosters so that he can rebuild the program.

A good point, I have to wonder if there has been a study of the average career in years for all college Basketball players present day as say compared to 30 years ago. 

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I just read an article that said IU is also hiring Thad Matta.   He can help with the recruiting since Woodson has no experience with that part of being a college coach.   Matta's position will be an assistant athletic director and will be responsible for hiring Woodson's coaching staff and also with recruiting.   Should make for an interesting "duo" at IU in the near future.  Matta played college ball at Butler and he still lives in Indianapolis so he has some ties to Indiana.  Interesting.....

Matta being hired to be a high priced babysitter with a fancy title.  

it is the Michigan Model:   where they hired Juwaan, then brought in long established former HC Phil Martelli to be his right hand man to make sure he doesn't do something stupid with violations and other unique things that college game provides that the pro game does not. 

At least he is called an assistant coach, not assitant athletic director assigned to Basketball.   Fancy title for Matta 

The next question is, does the new hires, keep the IU crew together, last I saw they were up to 3 or 4 in the ole 'portal' 

35 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I just read an article that said IU is also hiring Thad Matta.   He can help with the recruiting since Woodson has no experience with that part of being a college coach.   Matta's position will be an assistant athletic director and will be responsible for hiring Woodson's coaching staff and also with recruiting.   Should make for an interesting "duo" at IU in the near future.  Matta played college ball at Butler and he still lives in Indianapolis so he has some ties to Indiana.  Interesting.....

From the outside looking in, and from someone who doesn’t really follow the program — or any basketball — very closely, that seems smart. I am interested to hear the details of their two contracts.

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

From the outside looking in, and from someone who doesn’t really follow the program — or any basketball — very closely, that seems smart. I am interested to hear the details of their two contracts.

Just for comparison purposes, Juwan Howard makes just under $2 mil a year at Michigan ... although I expect there will be an extension and a nice bump in that in the near future. Their paths to a B1G head coaching job were somewhat similar, although Woodson has much the better coaching resume.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Matta being hired to be a high priced babysitter with a fancy title.  

it is the Michigan Model:   where they hired Juwaan, then brought in long established former HC Phil Martelli to be his right hand man to make sure he doesn't do something stupid with violations and other unique things that college game provides that the pro game does not. 

At least he is called an assistant coach, not assitant athletic director assigned to Basketball.   Fancy title for Matta 

The next question is, does the new hires, keep the IU crew together, last I saw they were up to 3 or 4 in the ole 'portal' 

Good observation from the outside looking in. I would add that with Howard being part of the Fab Five, Michigan would have reason to hire a “babysitter” more so than IU. Especially in light of Woodson being an early recruit of the Knight era. 

I don’t mind the fancy title/extra layer as long as we win and win clean. Still have a very bad taste from the Sampson fiasco. 

As for the portal situation, which unfortunately I think is here to stay, hopefully between Woodson and Matta they can re-recruit these players to choose IU one more time. 

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

A swing and a  miss...

Believe it is too early for this call. 

Woodson was definitely not in my top five. Will give him the benefit of the doubt as long as he beats Purdue 2 out of 3, wins the B10 and/or competes for the title on a yearly basis, advances past the first round of the B10 tourney, gets us in the Big Dance every year, and makes a deep run every 2-3 years with a couple of Banners every decade. Other than that, no pressure. 😊

Believe we have to give him at least 5 years to put his stamp on the program. Don’t like the 3 year trigger finger we see in a lot of places. 

5 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

Believe we have to give him at least 5 years to put his stamp on the program. Don’t like the 3 year trigger finger we see in a lot of places. 

What drives the quick trigger is the one and done players.......It has created the mindset of "win right now". Calipari took it to a whole new level. The ripple effect still impacts the game. On the opposite side of it, I think Romeo Langford may have been the guy that accelerated Archie's demise. His season raised expectations through the roof; only to have been very underwhelming. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:29 PM, DE said:

If I’m IU my response would be, “And?”  If he is their guy, Cuban will find a way. 

I was thinking that Cuban may have been one of the two Alumni's that stepped up on financial side of this. Is that fact or fiction or still an unknown?

58 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I was thinking that Cuban may have been one of the two Alumni's that stepped up on financial side of this. Is that fact or fiction or still an unknown?

I was just tossing it out there. No idea 

26 minutes ago, DE said:

I was just tossing it out there. No idea 

I don’t think he was the main cog. But I’m not privy to this.  
There are several alum who can and could underwrite the process. It’s a payout over several years and if Ryan takes another position, the payout diminishes tremendously. 

13 minutes ago, southend said:

I don’t think he was the main cog. But I’m not privy to this.  
There are several alum who can and could underwrite the process. It’s a payout over several years and if Ryan takes another position, the payout diminishes tremendously. 

ryan?