Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU Basketball

Irishman

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

“Archie” as a nickname? I suppose it could be worse. It could have been “Jughead.”

I think the story is that he was being called RJ (middle name is Joseph), but his brother was saying Archie, so it stuck. 

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

Archie is a nickname. Ryan was his given name at birth. 

You’re welcome 😃

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

😂

Happy Easter my friend.

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

“Archie” as a nickname? I suppose it could be worse. It could have been “Jughead.”

Dang it Bob.  I can't give you a lol'ing notification...so you get this.

🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, DE said:

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

😂

Happy Easter my friend.

Dang it Bob.  I can't give you a lol'ing notification...so you get this.

🤣

Thank you....Happy Easter to you too as well as your family. 

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

🤪

The last time they hired a head coach without close ties to the program was 1946.

So what you are saying is, "There's a chance."

In my best Lloyd Christmas voice.

😂

First name I thought of was Hubert Davis.

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Head coach in waiting is my thought here. I would hope Woodson has a good 6-8 run, then to the keys over to Dane. That is if all goes well ??

6-8 year run that is

That was my first thought as well, but I do really like the combination of Woodson with Matta and Fife. 

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

That was my first thought as well, but I do really like the combination of Woodson with Matta and Fife. 

Yes, I'm really glad that IU, probably best to say Dolson, realized that was a good way to go with Woodson. I'm looking forward to some better times, at least being more competitive in B1G, and maybe better chance in beating Purdue???

• Like 1

I am not much of a basketball fan. I haven’t watched a college or pro game this season. But I confess to feeling glad that Baylor beat Gonzaga last night, just because it keeps the IU 1975-76 squad as the last team to go unbeaten. I was in law school in Bloomington during that team’s run. Saw every one of their home games. That was a magical time in Bloomington. What a lot of people don’t know is that the 1974-75 team was better than the squad that went undefeated the next season. They swept through their Big 10 schedule with an average 23 pt. margin of victory. But Scott May, IU’s leading scorer, rebounder, and the eventual 1976 Player of the Year, broke his arm in the last game against Purdue, and was limited to playing 7 minutes in a 92-90 loss to a powerhouse Kentucky team in the Regional. The Hoosiers landed 4 of the 5 spots on the All Big Ten first team that year: May, Quinn Buckner, Steve Green, and Kent Benson. Although Steve Green graduated, John Laskowski, the outstanding sixth man on the 74-75 team, moved right into Green’s spot the next season, and they ran the table. Just a great, great team. They were such a joy to watch.

• Like 1

Bob ,UR right,  the 75 team may be the best ever in the NCAA. Considering the average winning point margin for the season. I know UCLA has an argument here. 
One thing though, John laskowski graduated with Steve green. I think you are thinking of Tom Abernathy stepping in Johns slot in 76.  

3 minutes ago, southend said:

Bob ,UR right,  the 75 team may be the best ever in the NCAA. Considering the average winning point margin for the season. I know UCLA has an argument here. 
One thing though, John laskowski graduated with Steve green. I think you are thinking of Tom Abernathy stepping in Johns slot in 76.  

My memory isn’t what it used to be. 

I've always said it hard being a millennial IU fan. Your grandparents talk about the 70s IU teams. Your Parents talk about the 80s and early 90s IU teams (my dad purposed to my mom after Keith Smart hit the jump shout in 87). And your earliest memories watching IU basketball is 2002 run to the title game. Setting up 20 years of disappointment. 

Funny how this program spent those 20 years running from any association or connection to Coach Knight. Now that they have gotten passed that they have gained more momentum and optimism in the past 8 days than those previous 20 years outside of 2013. I think we are heading for better days but 

............ Just one thing left to do  and its the most important

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

Just win baby win 

Easy, about 2 Saturday’s ago I had my XM radio on a station I never listen to.  Well the show was Dan Dakich. I’ve never listened to him before. The only thing I got to know about him on the radio,was all the controversy he generated over the years. Beside the point. 
what he said was as interm coach, as a result of the Sampson dismissal, Dan was in the meetings with the AD , president and school committee that was in charge of the selecting the next coach.   He said , that the exact words were , “we will never let the basketball program elevate to the degree, that it over shadows the university again. “  

So to put it in simple terms we are down grading the basketball program.  
The rest is history. 

9 minutes ago, southend said:

Easy, about 2 Saturday’s ago I had my XM radio on a station I never listen to.  Well the show was Dan Dakich. I’ve never listened to him before. The only thing I got to know about him on the radio,was all the controversy he generated over the years. Beside the point. 
what he said was as interm coach, as a result of the Sampson dismissal, Dan was in the meetings with the AD , president and school committee that was in charge of the selecting the next coach.   He said , that the exact words were , “we will never let the basketball program elevate to the degree, that it over shadows the university again. “  

The rest is history. 

I think there is little danger of that happening unless they find another Bob Knight-like figure, whose personality overshadows the fact that he was a 1 in a million coach.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I am not much of a basketball fan. I haven’t watched a college or pro game this season. But I confess to feeling glad that Baylor beat Gonzaga last night, just because it keeps the IU 1975-76 squad as the last team to go unbeaten. I was in law school in Bloomington during that team’s run. Saw every one of their home games. That was a magical time in Bloomington. What a lot of people don’t know is that the 1974-75 team was better than the squad that went undefeated the next season. They swept through their Big 10 schedule with an average 23 pt. margin of victory. But Scott May, IU’s leading scorer, rebounder, and the eventual 1976 Player of the Year, broke his arm in the last game against Purdue, and was limited to playing 7 minutes in a 92-90 loss to a powerhouse Kentucky team in the Regional. The Hoosiers landed 4 of the 5 spots on the All Big Ten first team that year: May, Quinn Buckner, Steve Green, and Kent Benson. Although Steve Green graduated, John Laskowski, the outstanding sixth man on the 74-75 team, moved right into Green’s spot the next season, and they ran the table. Just a great, great team. They were such a joy to watch.

Bob is a plethora of AWESOME knowledge and old.  🤣

Thanks for the great insight as always Bob.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

My memory isn’t what it used to be. 

I want to know the stuff you have forgotten.  LOL.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I loved that team ... but the best NCAA team ever was Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and any 4 other guys you could find on the street.

Let's roll boys.

Me, @Bobref, @southend, @Irishman, and KAJ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

I've always said it hard being a millennial IU fan. Your grandparents talk about the 70s IU teams. Your Parents talk about the 80s and early 90s IU teams (my dad purposed to my mom after Keith Smart hit the jump shout in 87). And your earliest memories watching IU basketball is 2002 run to the title game. Setting up 20 years of disappointment. 

Funny how this program spent those 20 years running from any association or connection to Coach Knight. Now that they have gotten passed that they have gained more momentum and optimism in the past 8 days than those previous 20 years outside of 2013. I think we are heading for better days but 

............ Just one thing left to do  and its the most important

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

Just win baby win 

The ONLY owner (former) I can think of that looks like their mascot.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

I think there is little danger of that happening unless they find another Bob Knight-like figure, whose personality overshadows the fact that he was a 1 in a million coach.

New president, tuned into the athletics side of the University. And an athletics director that really gets it. Is the ticket, from here on out. 

11 hours ago, southend said:

The rest is history. 

Reminds me of the story of Fordham football. Vince Lombardi's Senior season (the time of the 7 blocks of granite on the offensive line), they were playing for a spot in the Rose Bowl. They ended up losing the game....another interesting story.....But at that point, University leaders decided to de emphasize football. They never did recover from that decision. 

This is all detailed in a biography about Lombardi titled "When Pride Still Mattered". It is still one of the best football books I have read. 

• Thanks 2