Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Overtime Rules

Bobref

Question

Since we seem to be on the topic of overtime, here’s an interesting play.

Team A starts the OT procedure at the B 10 yd. line, 1st and goal. On 1st down they get a holding penalty that pushes them back to the B 26. They then throw 3 straight incompletions. On 4th and goal from the B 26, they attempt a long field goal. The kick is blocked at the LOS and goes to the B 23 where it is muffed by B19 back across the LOS and recovered at the B 28 by A4. He then (a) advances for an apparent TD, or (b) runs it down to the B 5, where he is tackled. Ruling?

13 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

A) Touchdown for A. 

B) 1st and goal for A from B’s 5, though more than likely the 2 1/2 after you flag B’s coach;)

What gives A the ability for a new set of downs?  Would we view it the same way as a punt where R touches the ball beyond the neutral zone and K gets to keep possession with a new set of downs?  If so, I agree with your assumption of starting on the 2.5 instead of the 5.

44 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

What gives A the ability for a new set of downs?  Would we view it the same way as a punt where R touches the ball beyond the neutral zone and K gets to keep possession with a new set of downs?  If so, I agree with your assumption of starting on the 2.5 instead of the 5.

12-5

5-2-1: The offensive team shall be awarded a new series of downs when any one of the following occurs:

a. Offensive team recovers a scrimmage kick (field-goal attempt) between the goal lines after it has been touched first by the defensive team beyond the neutral zone.

b. Defensive team is guilty of roughing the kicker, place-kick holder, snapper or passer.

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

Since we seem to be on the topic of overtime, here’s an interesting play.

Team A starts the OT procedure at the B 10 yd. line, 1st and goal. On 1st down they get a holding penalty that pushes them back to the B 26. They then throw 3 straight incompletions. On 4th and goal from the B 26, they attempt a long field goal. The kick is blocked at the LOS and goes to the B 23 where it is muffed by B19 back across the LOS and recovered at the B 28 by A4. He then (a) advances for an apparent TD, or (b) runs it down to the B 5, where he is tackled. Ruling?

I think c) needs to be added in as it’s a much stranger situation then b. k Player is tackled at the  21 instead of the 5

34 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

Without naming names explain the play situation 

I think there was a unsportsmanlike foul on 4th down of the 1st OT, they carried the penalty over to their opportunity on offense.  They marched them off 15 and they started 1st and 10 on the 25 when it should have been 1st and Goal from the 25.  The chains do not come out for OT.  That is how I heard it...

10 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

I think there was a unsportsmanlike foul on 4th down of the 1st OT, they carried the penalty over to their opportunity on offense.  They marched them off 15 and they started 1st and 10 on the 25 when it should have been 1st and Goal from the 25.  The chains do not come out for OT.  That is how I heard it...

I will add, A had 1st and 10 at the 25. A gained a first down and scored on what was actually their 7th play.

B failed to score in 4 downs, A wins after being giving three extra downs. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I will add, A had 1st and 10 at the 25. A gained a first down and scored on what was actually their 7th play.

B failed to score in 4 downs, A wins after being giving three extra downs. 

The crew wasn't 100% certain they had it right on the field so they looked it up when they got to the locker room and confirmed they made a mistake. They contacted Robert immediately so he heard it from them first. He had already assigned them to a second round sectional game so they got to work that, but the sectional final assignment they were supposed to get was removed. They would have completely understood if it cost them a second round game too. That is integrity and proof that even good officials can make big mistakes. We don't have many OT games and when we do we rarely start anywhere but the 10. I think I can still count on one hand the number of OT games I've worked in almost 20 years. That's not an excuse but it helps to understand. Mistakes are the greatest teachers.

3 hours ago, JustRules said:

The crew wasn't 100% certain they had it right on the field so they looked it up when they got to the locker room and confirmed they made a mistake. They contacted Robert immediately so he heard it from them first. He had already assigned them to a second round sectional game so they got to work that, but the sectional final assignment they were supposed to get was removed. They would have completely understood if it cost them a second round game too. That is integrity and proof that even good officials can make big mistakes. We don't have many OT games and when we do we rarely start anywhere but the 10. I think I can still count on one hand the number of OT games I've worked in almost 20 years. That's not an excuse but it helps to understand. Mistakes are the greatest teachers.

Agreed, I would assume we both got it from the horse’s mouth.

• Like 1