Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

looking for new end zone cam

I've received mixed reviews on the Hi-Pod X31. It looks like a great product, but I recently spoke to a coach who purchased one at the start of the season and has had trouble linking it to Hudl Sideline every week. He was very surprised, frustrated and disappointed because Hudl recommends Hi-Pod for use with their products.

Edited by Tanka Jahari
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hi Pod is great

Hudl Sidline is Hot Garbage

That may very well be the case. He was talking about how much time he had spent on the phone with Hudl over the last few weeks, and still can't get it ironed out. He said the only issue they had with their Hi-Pod was linking in to Hudl sideline, so that would seem to confirm your opinion.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hudl Sidline is Hot Garbage

As far as endzone camera's go we have one called "Hi Rise" It's just okay but I would not recommend. I feel like other people have better setups for the money IMO.

Unfortunately Hudl as a company has been making some disappointing decisions all around lately.

• Like 1

Most systems come in at or around $5k.  If you can budget for that, I'd definitely go with the Hi-Pod.  The mechanical tilt/pan is an advantage over systems that use the Bescor electric tilt-pan head (several others).  You simply can't move left/right fast enough on plays 20 yds and closer to the EZ camera using an electric tilt/pan.  The mechanical tilt/pan also means you'll need less external battery power (which is required at most fields).

Whichever you choose, you'll want to make sure you have the same staff operating it throughout the season.  None of these systems are plug-and-play.  Even the most expensive systems have cable issues, because you're still relying on a consumer camera with consumer-quality cable inputs.

As for Hudl Sideline, Indy Lutheran is using it for the first time this season.  It's a great solution, but reliability is an issue.  The system is based on off-the-shelf components better suited for a stationary entertainment center than being lugged out each week to a football field.  We've learned the hard way that every plug and port needs to be secured with a velcro strap.  This includes all the power connections (wall-warts plugged into an extension cord in each case).  Every HDMI cable should be secured with a velcro strap when plugged in (both at the camera and inside the cases).  You'll want to buy a second AC battery pack for the pressbox case (similar to what comes in the EZ case), as Hudl seems to assume that every pressbox has power available on the roof.  As long as nothing comes unplugged after you're up and running, it works pretty well.

• Like 2

you know what is FREE and you get the same information that Hudl Sideline give you? 

IPAD, upstairs next to your coaches filming the game as well.  We have a Middle School guy right next to me on every Friday night.  He live shoots via Hudl App.  Our staff wants to see something/anything, I review the clip, relay the information, then we communicate to the coaches/players what is needing to be done.  It coast $0.00 and has been reliable "replay" system now going on 5 years.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Seems like a lot of $ and work for a high school football game played by children.

Game has evolved, so has technology, most of it is welcomed and important.   Such as not having to dub VHS/DVDs, then use your own gas money to meet a coach halfway point at 6-7 a.m. to exchange film.

Though as a Fan, you can see it as a game played by children, which I understand your perspective, but for me this is my PROFESSIONAL CAREER CHOICE, and yes Football is viewed as Co-Curricular in my eyes and my #1 job is to teach lessons associated with football's X/O's life skills. which Football is just 1 avenue used to communicate and teach said lessons.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

What programs spend discretionary money on is not for me to say.  

You can choose not to voice your opinion of certain matters.  I say that is what an internet message forum is for. 

Can some football professional please educate me on exactly what new perspectives or competitive advantages an expensive end zone camera can bestow?

Just now, Muda69 said:

You can choose not to voice your opinion of certain matters.  I say that is what an internet message forum is for. 

Can some football professional please educate me on exactly what new perspectives or competitive advantages an expensive end zone camera can bestow?

I LOVE the view. We've had three great EZ views of the last two games. All had very telling views of calls. I hope everybody gets ones, and include that view with what they share with IFOA. In fact, maybe they'll save their pennies and buy two, so we have one in each EZ!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Angles, alignments, DL Shades, OL footwork steps per scheme your going against.   Self Scouting.  

Gives you as a coach a view as the players see it as the game unfolds.  

Search Hudl End Zone Highlights and you can see teams that have it public and how much better it is for the coaching and playing communities. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Please, for the love of God, do not hijack this beautiful, incredibly satisfying thread. Every time I read it I need a cigarette. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

you know what is FREE and you get the same information that Hudl Sideline give you? 

IPAD, upstairs next to your coaches filming the game as well.  We have a Middle School guy right next to me on every Friday night.  He live shoots via Hudl App.  Our staff wants to see something/anything, I review the clip, relay the information, then we communicate to the coaches/players what is needing to be done.  It coast $0.00 and has been reliable "replay" system now going on 5 years.    

But are you able to get a live ingame endzone view to look at? I could see that being more helpful than the traditional sideline view if you're trying to diagnose issues in the heat of battle.

23 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Please, for the love of God, do not hijack this beautiful, incredibly satisfying thread. Every time I read it I need a cigarette. 

I think there are a few teams in the SIAC who intentionally set up their endzone cameras at separate ends.  Then share the video so it can be intercut.  One play with three views: Side, North end zone, south end zone. 

That's good stuff.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

But are you able to get a live ingame endzone view to look at? I could see that being more helpful than the traditional sideline view if you're trying to diagnose issues in the heat of battle.

no, but for what we do, sideline is good enough and we haven't been in film session post game and look and said, well we missed that because of not having a EZ view live.   So it costs 1500 PER YEAR for Hudl Sideline and the ensuing headache, we will stay as is. 

https://www.hudl.com/products/sideline/packages/premium

16 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

Back when we were at another school, we used to just put a camera on top of a lift. The school just let us use it and we didn't have to spend $5,000 on a EZ camera. So there are other ways since some people are so concerned about spending money that's not theirs. 

I was thinking more along the lines of one of those small candle-powered hot air balloons with a cheap go-pro attached to it, tied to the ground with the appropriate length of rope.  But the method you described does the job as well!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of one of those small candle-powered hot air balloons with a cheap go-pro attached to it, tied to the ground with the appropriate length of rope.  But the method you described does the job as well!

Can I hire you to come to Rensselaer for this!!  I would love the visual!!    I will pay you in Wagonmasters!!!   :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 3