Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Dwenger vs Homestead

Arguably the marquee game in the state this week. 

Dwenger is just as good today as they were when the season started. Homestead might be better than what I felt was an already good team to start the season. I can't pick against Homestead as well as they are playing on both sides of the ball. I can't pick against Dwenger in what is sure to be a raucous home environment. I guess I'm just not going to pick. The outcome will be determined on the field. 

Yeah, what a game this is going to be. Neither of these teams have shown any weaknesses so far this season. It’s also hard to gauge who is better than the other because neither have played any great teams.

There is a top 4 this year in the SAC (Snider, Dwenger, Homestead, Carroll) and then there is everybody else. BD and homestead have played neither of these teams yet. 

I’ll pick Dwenger for two reasons. (1) I am biased. (2) Dwenger beat homestead 23-10 last year, granted Homestead was up 10-6 going into the 4th. I just don’t see how BD can lose this game since they won that game and lost hardly any players from last year. 

Dwenger 24-17 over Homestead 

1 hour ago, Mebuck said:

Dwenger is not bringing in stands. Luers, South, North and Carroll DON'T.  Why should Dwenger. Half of the Homestead crowd at home is band parents. 

Homestead will probably pick Dwenger apart with its passing game. 

Luers has done it before, just don't see how the stadium would accommodate everyone. 

1 hour ago, Mebuck said:

Dwenger is not bringing in stands. Luers, South, North and Carroll DON'T.  Why should Dwenger. Half of the Homestead crowd at home is band parents. 

Homestead will probably pick Dwenger apart with its passing game. 

Why do you think they will? 

Homestead didn’t pick BD apart last year and BD only lost a couple people on D.

It’s all about getting pressure on Luke Goode, Homesteads QB, something which Dwenger did a great job of last time around. 

14 minutes ago, WilELee said:

Dwenger had huge losses to graduation last year, on O and D. Not a huge number, but a huge impact. We will see where they are Friday. 

Yeah I suppose they did lose about half their starting D. However, on offense they lost like two starting lineman and a running back that played half the time so I don’t see where you’re coming from with that one. Yes, they lost Joe tippmann who went to Wisconsin that obviously hurts. Any team in the state would take losing to starters on offense though.   

Agree with you though about seeing how they do on Friday.

9 minutes ago, FWfootball10 said:

Yeah I suppose they did lose about half their starting D. However, on offense they lost like two starting lineman and a running back that played half the time so I don’t see where you’re coming from with that one. Yes, they lost Joe tippmann who went to Wisconsin that obviously hurts. Any team in the state would take losing to starters on offense though.   

Agree with you though about seeing how they do on Friday.

Two*

4 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

Why do you think they will? 

Homestead didn’t pick BD apart last year and BD only lost a couple people on D.

It’s all about getting pressure on Luke Goode, Homesteads QB, something which Dwenger did a great job of last time around. 

Last year is last year... what a difference a year makes. Our DBs are not that good. The North side game would have been different if the legends could catch.

20 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Last year is last year... what a difference a year makes. Our DBs are not that good. The North side game would have been different if the legends could catch.

You’re right. Last year is last year and they did allow North Side WR’s to get open early. Homesteads WR’s will not drop those balls. However, that was only the first and maybe second drive of the game. After the first quarter they didn’t allow that to happen again. I haven’t seen the DB’s challenged enough this year to say whether they are good or not good. Hopefully the coaching staff has this corrected, guess we will see on Friday. 

3 hours ago, coachr said:

Should be a great matchup!  One of the best OC's in the area vs. one of the best DC's in the area.  I was fortunate to have both on staff, and they are top notch!  Best of luck to Coach Skelton and Coach Kolkman!  Have at it!

Coach Rowland

Hit the nail on the head. 

8 hours ago, BLKnights7 said:

Was a great game both these defenses can fly.

Agree. Two very good teams. Lot's of "what ifs" for Dwenger. Two redzone turnovers and a couple of major penalties was the difference in this game. Congratulations to Homestead, good teams make big plays when they count. 

On 9/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, FWfootball10 said:

You’re right. Last year is last year and they did allow North Side WR’s to get open early. Homesteads WR’s will not drop those balls. However, that was only the first and maybe second drive of the game. After the first quarter they didn’t allow that to happen again. I haven’t seen the DB’s challenged enough this year to say whether they are good or not good. Hopefully the coaching staff has this corrected, guess we will see on Friday. 

Our DBs were actually pretty good last night.

1 big penalty and 2 turnovers are what cost us.  One Ball should have been thrown away and one was basically on the handoff while hit by unblocked LB.   We cant afford those in any game let alone a big game.   Excellence in the small details win close games. 

Two other plays that could have changed the game was when Goode was in end zone and was sacked.   He threw it away and probably should have been called grounding.  But the WR the was kind of in an area you could maybe argue that the throw was to him.   Official chose not to call it.  

On play before FG, Goode threw a  pass that was caught by Dwenger.   Official behind the play hesitated for about 5 seconds looking for help on the call and finally signaled incomplete.   I don’t know if it was an INT or not but  I would love to see that one on replay.     If Dwenger is to get back to State, they need to make more big plays like this in games like this.  

Hearing and seeing that Carroll students were displaying their friendliness in their cheer block the other night.  We’ll see if this hits the media.  Homestead and Carroll, aren’t they supposed to

be the cream of the crop?