Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Soft Penn Program Could Be Looking West For Relief

Guest DT

5 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Growth in the eastern edge of St. Joe county is slowing, population is shift a bit north acrossed the stateline to Edwardsburg. The Eddies have some dudes that in the past may have been Kingsmen. 

Eddies?  Sweet handle—one for the Hall of Fame for sure.

6 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

DT is making up both sides of the arguments and debating himself.

But the drink must be stirred...

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Unfortunately the State of Indiana somehow believes that an Interstate Highway between Indianapolis and Evansville is more important than an interstate between Fort Wayne and Chicago.....................now you can get out of Indianapolis via interstate to the N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, & NW. In the meantime, US 30 from FW to Chicago is an ABSOLUTE nightmare.................and dangerous!

Driven it many times—no bueno.

20 hours ago, DT said:

Penn's scheduling strategy is clearly not working for them.  The NIC regular season does nothing to prepare them for the playoffs, and now they are getting thumped regularly in non con play.   

Huh? Haven't they played for the state championship twice in the last 5 years? Aren't they 2-2 against Carmel in that stretch? Think you're extrapolating a very small sample size.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 10:01 AM, DT said:

Penn doesn't strike me as a particularly strong program, given results of the past 5 years, and the lack of higher level talent moving on to the next level.

57-11 (including the 1-2 start this year) with 4 Sectionals, 4 Regionals, and 2 Semi-State Titles.

Yeah, horrible program. 🙄

18 hours ago, IndianaBobcat said:

.. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I hope the injury to Penn's starting QB isn't too serious, or season ending.. Had he remained healthy for this last game, Penn may have maintained more time of possession and possibly made the score closer.. Wishing a good, speedy recovery for him..

I was told would not be back to sectionals

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

57-11 (including the 1-2 start this year) with 4 Sectionals, 4 Regionals, and 2 Semi-State Titles.

It is just they have lost 2 of 1st 3 and face a major power this week - many are used to them rolling over teams

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Nobody said it was a horrible program.   "Soft" implies that the program is not as tough and rugged as it has been in the past.  You've seen enough Penn - Ben Davis games to understand 

The 57-11 record is impressive, but when measured against the out manned NIC competition, where Penn is 2 , 3 and even 4 times the size of it competitors , the record becomes more suspect.   Didn't Penn go nearly a decade without losing a conference game?

And Penn's big blowout losses at LOS have tarnished their Golden image.   

Used to be a great program

Now just a very good one

I think the same can be said about the area as a whole. The Michiana schools in the past would win their share of titles. This region as a whole is in a drought. Some of that is because Indy is schools are better, but Fort Wayne still wins some titles, the NW Region has had success more re recently, same with Lafayette. Michiana schools aren't caring their weight for the northern portion.

5 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

I think the same can be said about the area as a whole. The Michiana schools in the past would win their share of titles. This region as a whole is in a drought. Some of that is because Indy is schools are better, but Fort Wayne still wins some titles, the NW Region has had success more re recently, same with Lafayette. Michiana schools aren't caring their weight for the northern portion.

Too many lakes, fishing, tubing, water skiing, etc.  Its the Leisure capitol of the state

11 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Huh? Haven't they played for the state championship twice in the last 5 years? Aren't they 2-2 against Carmel in that stretch? Think you're extrapolating a very small sample size.

Geography is Penn’s best friend...

On 9/10/2019 at 3:44 PM, BTF said:

Unfortunately the State of Indiana somehow believes that an Interstate Highway between Indianapolis and Evansville is more important than an interstate between Fort Wayne and Chicago.....................now you can get out of Indianapolis via interstate to the N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, & NW. In the meantime, US 30 from FW to Chicago is an ABSOLUTE nightmare.................and dangerous!

Rightfully so!

12 hours ago, Temptation said:

Geography is Penn’s best friend...

What does Geography have to do with Penn going 2-2 vs Carmel the last 5 years? I responded to a post that says Penn is routinely losing it's non-conference games (they aren't) and that their conference slate doesn't prepare them for a deep tournament run (they've been to state twice the last 5 years and have beaten Carmel twice).

Penn is 3-1 against perennial contender Orchard Lake St. Mary's (MI) and 3-1 against perennial contender Birmingham Brother Rice (MI) all in the last 5 years. Penn has dominated Valpo the better part of this decade, they aren't "routinely losing their non-conference games". They aren't off to a good start this year, but it's an extremely small sample size to proclaim this is the beginning of the end for Penn, especially when their D1 caliber QB is sidelined with an injury. 

31 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

What does Geography have to do with Penn going 2-2 vs Carmel the last 5 years? I responded to a post that says Penn is routinely losing it's non-conference games (they aren't) and that their conference slate doesn't prepare them for a deep tournament run (they've been to state twice the last 5 years and have beaten Carmel twice).

Penn is 3-1 against perennial contender Orchard Lake St. Mary's (MI) and 3-1 against perennial contender Birmingham Brother Rice (MI) all in the last 5 years. Penn has dominated Valpo the better part of this decade, they aren't "routinely losing their non-conference games". They aren't off to a good start this year, but it's an extremely small sample size to proclaim this is the beginning of the end for Penn, especially when their D1 caliber QB is sidelined with an injury. 

Excuse me..."getting thumped regularly in non-conference games" was actually the direct quote. 

38 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I think it's time to contract some posters who have nothing to add but ridiculous Dan Dakich-like takes from the GID, but that's just me. 

Dude...you want to "contract" Lysander?  WHA????????????????????????????????????

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Their 51 wins are padded by the fact that they have little in-state competition on a regular basis in northern Indiana.  It's really not their fault.

2-2 versus Carmel is impressive, but what happened the following week?  (Outscored 91-30).

People hate the truth, but Penn is no longer the power it once was in the 90s and would be a middle of the road/.500 team annually if they were in central Indiana.

32 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Their 51 wins are padded by the fact that they have little in-state competition on a regular basis in northern Indiana.  It's really not their fault.

2-2 versus Carmel is impressive, but what happened the following week?  (Outscored 91-30).

People hate the truth, but Penn is no longer the power it once was in the 90s and would be a middle of the road/.500 team annually if they were in central Indiana.

I never said anything about 51 wins.

I was responding to the comment that stated the NIC does nothing to prepare Penn for a postseason run (they've been to two state titles in 5 years and it has affected them beating Carmel twice in that span) and they are getting thumped regularly in non-conference games. They have a winning non-conference record going back years with the exception of this year. It's why I said it's entirely ridiculous to use such a small sample size to start talking about the demise of the Penn Football program. 

32 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Ben Davis did that to everybody in 2017. They beat Center grove 40-7. Beat Warren 45-16. Beat Fishers 50-7. Beat Avon 57-20. Penn could have played an NFL regular season schedule and still not have been prepared for Ben Davis, that's how good they were that year. 

Edited by Footballking16