Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Football Themed Nonsense: Post Em

Coach Nowlin

On 9/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Thought it would be fun to make a thread highlighting some of the dumb, outrageous, exciting, you name it, post it type clips.   

My 1st selection:  

In the fall of 95, there were a bunch of teams that played each other at the old Hoosier Dome.  I can not remember all exactly, but IMSC, it was:

NP-LP

Chesterton-Andrean

LC (us)-Portage

Merrillville-Crown Point

In the Andrean-chesterton game right before ours, I think Andrean had like a 2 or 3rd and like 67....

5 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

In the fall of 95, there were a bunch of teams that played each other at the old Hoosier Dome.  I can not remember all exactly, but IMSC, it was:

NP-LP

Chesterton-Andrean

LC (us)-Portage

Merrillville-Crown Point

In the Andrean-chesterton game right before ours, I think Andrean had like a 2 or 3rd and like 67....

Our crew had the LC-Portage Game that day. The Chesterton-Andrean game was still going on late in the 4th quarter when we came out of the tunnel. Andrean was leading, but Chesterton was in the red zone. There was a play right at the pylon, and the Chesterton runner fumbled. The ball hit the pylon. The crew incorrectly awarded the ball to Chesterton at the 1 yd. line. They punched it in on the next play and won the game. As the Andrean team was coming off the field, their coach Ivan Zimmerman (one of my absolute favorite coaches of all time) saw me and made a beeline straight at me. Before he could say a word, I held up my hand and said “Coach, I didn’t see the play clearly.” He thought for a moment and then said “Hypothetically, if the ball is fumbled and hits the pylon, who does it belong to?” I replied, “Hypothetically, that would be a touchback, and the defense would get possession at their 20 ... where they could run out the clock if this was, hypothetically, in the last minute of the game.” He just said “thanks” and headed off to the locker room.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Our crew had the LC-Portage Game that day. The Chesterton-Andrean game was still going on late in the 4th quarter when we came out of the tunnel. Andrean was leading, but Chesterton was in the red zone. There was a play right at the pylon, and the Chesterton runner fumbled. The ball hit the pylon. The crew incorrectly awarded the ball to Chesterton at the 1 yd. line. They punched it in on the next play and won the game. As the Andrean team was coming off the field, their coach Ivan Zimmerman (one of my absolute favorite coaches of all time) saw me and made a beeline straight at me. Before he could say a word, I held up my hand and said “Coach, I didn’t see the play clearly.” He thought for a moment and then said “Hypothetically, if the ball is fumbled and hits the pylon, who does it belong to?” I replied, “Hypothetically, that would be a touchback, and the defense would get possession at their 20 ... where they could run out the clock if this was, hypothetically, in the last minute of the game.” He just said “thanks” and headed off to the locker room.

I was playing QB for Lake Central in that game. 

Ivan Zimmer ***    

His cousin was long time Cross Country/Track coach at RCHS, then turn to AP and was Principal when we won state in 2014 before retiring.  Zimmer family are great folks, Ivan right there with them.   We used to meet at McDonalds on 30 to talk football and snag VHS/DVD back in 00s when he was at Calumet.  Good Times.  

Hudl is great, but there is something I do miss about meeting coaches drinking coffee at random places to get that next weeks film.  

longerst in my career was Rensselaer to Lafayette for Tipton and Sheridan games.   

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don’t remember anything about that game. But I can see the play from the previous game in my mind’s eye as clear as day.

Tons of talent on the field for both teams lead by 2 HOF coaches that I had the honor to play for (Coach Britton) and coach with (Buzz).