Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Warren Central @ Ben Davis (95th Circle City Showdown)

5 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Coaches should have already educated their players not to go on the field when the play is still going on.  And its irrelevant if Ben Davis was going to pick it up and run it in or not.  Rules are in place for reason. And you said hard to make kids control their emotions,  what's your excuse for the multiple coaches running on the field?  And yes, every week big plays get called back for fouls behind the play.  I guess I'm not sure what you're advocating for, selective rule enforcement?

Rule enforcement is already selective.  This has been discussed elsewhere but all I want out of officials is consistency (even though it may seem that I am debating otherwise here, lol).

This arguably the biggest rivalry game in the Hoosier state and asking 15-18 year old kids to hold it together after a game winning play is not realistic.

Absolutely ZERO excuses for members of the coaching staff that were on the field celebrating (seemed like about half were trying to hold the kids back) but I’m just skeptical about the majority of officiating crews actually calling this one in this situation and even more so if the stakes were higher.

Just not buying it.

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

There is nothing controversial to the call.   

I would argue it would be controversial regardless of what they called. They call nothing or go with unsportsmanlike conduct and declare the game over others would say they can't believe they let them get away with it. Officials don't care about the controversy side. They go with the information they have at the time and enforce accordingly. They obviously felt these players had an influence on the play. I know this crew well and trust their judgement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

Rule enforcement is already selective.  This has been discussed elsewhere but all I want out of officials is consistency (even though it may seem that I am debating otherwise here, lol).

This arguably the biggest rivalry game in the Hoosier state and asking 15-18 year old kids to hold it together after a game winning play is not realistic.

Absolutely ZERO excuses for members of the coaching staff that were on the field celebrating (seemed like about half were trying to hold the kids back) but I’m just skeptical about the majority of officiating crews actually calling this one in this situation and even more so if the stakes were higher.

Just not buying it.

The good crews would probably make this same call with the same observation as this crew. Other crews would probably not fully understand the rule. There is judgement involved in many plays. As Bobref pointed out this could have been ruled an unsportsmanlike conduct and the period not extended if they didn't feel the WC players on the field had an influence on the result. If that's their judgement they aren't wrong. Wiser minds can make either argument. But this crew obviously understood this rule and have proven over and over again they are prepared for this type of play. I trust whatever decision they make in this case.

Just because a fan doesn't agree with a call doesn't mean they aren't consistency. Unless you fully understand the rules and philosophies which takes years of study and experience many things won't seem consistent. They are actually much more consistent than you realize. We have a wide variety of experience of ability of officials in HS so you will never have full consistency from crew to crew or game to game. They definitely aren't making a decision based on who they want to win. They are basing it on the facts they know and observed at the time. If you think otherwise you do not understand the role of an official.

• Like 1

Watched another couple of clips of this play, from different angles than were on the Indy Star highlights. Absolutely no question in my mind that this was the right call, and handled 100% correctly by the crew. The mob coming on the field was within a few yards of the loose ball. Has to be illegal participation under those circumstances. Great job by the crew in a difficult situation.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:44 AM, Bobref said:

Watched another couple of clips of this play, from different angles than were on the Indy Star highlights. Absolutely no question in my mind that this was the right call, and handled 100% correctly by the crew. The mob coming on the field was within a few yards of the loose ball. Has to be illegal participation under those circumstances. Great job by the crew in a difficult situation.

And, I might add, an incredibly classy response by the Warren athletic department to post their end zone video on Twitter along with the official explanation. Mr. Clayton is a class act, and I respect him tremendously and so is Coach West. With their work along with the work of Coach Kirschner and Coach Hart and their staffs, this rivalry has gone from a game I used to dread because of all the unsportsmanlike conduct to what it has become today...a hard-nosed game played by two great and proud programs.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

And, I might add, an incredibly classy response by the Warren athletic department to post their end zone video on Twitter along with the official explanation. Mr. Clayton is a class act, and I respect him tremendously and so is Coach West. With their work along with the work of Coach Kirschner and Coach Hart and their staffs, this rivalry has gone from a game I used to dread because of all the unsportsmanlike conduct to what it has become today...a hard-nosed game played by two great and proud programs.

LOL.

8 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Which has nothing to do with what I posted, but thanks for continuing to stir the pot. Have a pleasant Friday night.

Sure it does.  Dive a little deeper.