Jump to content
2019 Head Coach Openings Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Trojanmp52

Does you school require random drug screenings for athletes

Recommended Posts

With the proposed bill that would make drug testing a law I was curious to see how many schools already have this in place.  I know CG has this for any sports, band and choir also has it place and if you drive to school you are in the program. 

Edited by Trojanmp52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

With the proposed bill that would make drug testing a law I was curious to see how many schools already have this in place.  I know CG has this for any sports, band and choir also has it place and if you drive to school you are in the program. 

The school I teach at has something very similar to this, if not the exact same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

With the proposed bill that would make drug testing a law I was curious to see how many schools already have this in place.  I know CG has this for any sports, band and choir also has it place and if you drive to school you are in the program. 

Same is true in East Allen....New Haven, Leo, Woodlan, and Heritage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter had to sign a form all 4 years at DeKalb agreeing to possible testing, But I don't know of a single case where it was ever used. In fact, I know of a number of specific cases where the powers that be just turned their heads and did nothing within their power when incidents were reported by teammates, parents, non-coaching staff, etc...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seymour has had random testing for several years, any extracurricular or anyone who drives. Funny thing, to be random, my daughter was selected randomly a LOT. I think it had more to do with athletes the “computer” knew would be negative.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of our students are subject to random testing, not just athletes.  They do a random sample every month or so and can pick a specific student upon suspicion.  It's been that way for a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

My daughter has to sign a form all 4 years at DeKalb agreeing to possible testing, But I don't know of a single case where it was ever used. In fact, I know of a number of specific cases where the powers that be just turned their heads and did nothing within their power when incidents were reported by teammates, parents, non-coaching staff, etc...

The bathrooms at some of the high schools I have taught had often had a pungent smell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Robert said:

The bathrooms at some of the high schools I have taught had often had a pungent smell.  

It won't let me correct that atrocious sentence. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from what I understand, New Palestine is the only school in Hancock County that does not . . . but it should

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a policy that does not only focus on athletes.  Students, if they are an athlete, a member of a club, or drive, must sign the drug test consent form in the front of their student handbook and turn it in.  

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At Whiting we have random drug-testing for any student involved in extracurriculars (band, drama, sports, etc), as well as for any teacher, coach, sponsor that drives a vehicle.  We've done it the past 6-7 years maybe.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rensselaer as well.    Sign all the paperwork, random, I believe Middle thru High School.   Nicotine and Alcohol as well   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

from what I understand, New Palestine is the only school in Hancock County that does not . . . but it should

I am not sure how to ask this with out sounding like I believe it to to true,but I think it is a good  question and  I am not saying that this ishow they got good, but do think it could play a part in.  After all you do not have to live in school system to go to school their any more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I am not sure how to ask this with out sounding like I believe it to to true,but I think it is a good  question and  I am not saying that this ishow they got good, but do think it could play a part in.  After all you do not have to live in school system to go to school their any more

I don't think you would be the only one to pose this question or to carry the POSSIBILITY of belief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUT, i don't personally believe so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have it in Texas, at the high school my kids attended.  Well, actually I don't believe they did it when my daughter was in h.s. (graduated 2013) but both boys (graduated 2016 & 2018) had to do it.  Unfortunately don't know exactly what they were testing for.  Pretty sure the standard "social drugs" (like the terminology?), but don't recall the boys saying if PED's were included.

Edited by Bonecrusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, MarshallCounty said:

Bremen has had drug testing for close to 20 years for anyone that drives or is involved with extracurriculars.

Same at Jimtown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm good with the testing but it sucks that its limited to athletes or those who participate in extra-curricular activities.  I'm guessing the need is higher (pun intended) with those who participate in nothing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×