Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Contraction Update - South Newton

Guest DT

Big concerns about this program

0-4 and coming off a 65-14 loss.   28-229 point differential.  Thats disastrous.  33 losses in last 34 games.  

What do the numbers look like for this team?    Roster lists 24 players, with 6 freshman and 1 senior.

How do they practice.  Do they play any lower level games at all.

Is this really a good investment in athletic funds for the school?

Hopefully no one gets hurt and they survive the season physically intact.

But this is just crazy.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/south-newton-rebels-(kentland,in)/football/roster.htm

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
1A 41 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 0-4
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
SOUTH NEWTON
REBELS
Coach: Brad Bevis, 1-33 in 4th year at school

DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 7.0, DA 57.3

Aug. 23   North Newton 2A © L 0 58    
Aug. 30 at West Central 1A © L 14 68    
Sep. 6   Frontier 1A © L 0 38    
Sep. 13   Carroll (Flora) 1A L 14 65    
Sep. 20 at Tri-County 1A © 6:30 pm    
Sep. 27 at Covington 1A 6:30 pm    
Oct. 4   North White 1A © 6:30 pm    
Oct. 11 at Casey-Westfield (Ill.) 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18 at Lake Station 1A 7:00 pm    
©MIDWEST CONFERENCE GAME

2 hours ago, DT said:

Big concerns about this program

0-4 and coming off a 65-14 loss.   28-229 point differential.  Thats disastrous.  33 losses in last 34 games.  

What do the numbers look like for this team?    Roster lists 24 players, with 6 freshman and 1 senior.

How do they practice.  Do they play any lower level games at all.

Is this really a good investment in athletic funds for the school?

Hopefully no one gets hurt and they survive the season physically intact.

But this is just crazy.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/south-newton-rebels-(kentland,in)/football/roster.htm

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
1A 41 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 0-4
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
SOUTH NEWTON
REBELS
Coach: Brad Bevis, 1-33 in 4th year at school

DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 7.0, DA 57.3

Aug. 23   North Newton 2A © L 0 58    
Aug. 30 at West Central 1A © L 14 68    
Sep. 6   Frontier 1A © L 0 38    
Sep. 13   Carroll (Flora) 1A L 14 65    
Sep. 20 at Tri-County 1A © 6:30 pm    
Sep. 27 at Covington 1A 6:30 pm    
Oct. 4   North White 1A © 6:30 pm    
Oct. 11 at Casey-Westfield (Ill.) 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18 at Lake Station 1A 7:00 pm    
©MIDWEST CONFERENCE GAME

If you were legitimately serious in all this. You could simply dm coach durham and ask him what the numbers are like at the high school and middle school. 

Numbers are down all over the place. Hell Pioneer the last two seasons didn't have enough for 2 middle school teams. (This and last)

4 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

I believe Caston could probably beat Tri County and South Newton if the old MWC was in tact. 

I like the old MWC, but I'm glad that Pioneer got out of it when they did. Their schedule this year, if still in the old MWC, would probably be the worst in the state. It would have included Caston, North White, South Newton, Tri-County, and West Central, all programs that are extremely down this season. Pioneer would win all of these games by 60+.

Edited by AG
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, AG said:

I like the old MWC, but I'm glad that Pioneer got out of it when they did. Their schedule this year, if still in the old MWC, would probably be the worst in the state. It would have included Caston, North White, South Newton, Tri-County, and West Central, all programs that are extremely down this season. Pioneer would win all of these games by 60+.

I know im in that same boat. 

Well beat caston by 40+. Wed beat Tri County and SN BY 50+ .. Prob beat Frontier by 35+

Theres a reason why both our schools got on that HNAC train. 

BTW, sports fans, South Newton happens to field a middle school team (2 or 3 probably), so there’s interest.   As I have said  countless times before, athletics there are very cyclical.  I’m sure no one thought they should give up when Eric Watt led the mighty Rebels to the Semi-State not too long ago...

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, Gipper said:

The Rebels are not the lone team in the state to have not won a game yet.  Examples include fellow Midwest Conference member Tri-County, Class A member Madison-Grant, all the way up to 5A big boy Munster.  By their futile records, are they also goners?

Look at the bigger picture.  Are they competitive?   1-33 in their last 34.   Scary low numbers.   No seniors and 6 frosh on a 22 man roster.  That's flat out dangerous.   

1 hour ago, DT said:

Look at the bigger picture.  Are they competitive?   1-33 in their last 34.   Scary low numbers.   No seniors and 6 frosh on a 22 man roster.  That's flat out dangerous.   

Bigger picture?

Ok, South Newton's won 102 games this century, your alma mater has won 69.

Must be withering for you.

1 hour ago, DT said:

They have 25 on maxpreps and 1 senior. 

They keep 24 that played this year, add a few incoming freshman...thats potentially 28-30 kids. 

Don't be a glass half empty guy. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

17 minutes ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

They have 25 on maxpreps and 1 senior. 

They keep 24 that played this year, add a few incoming freshman...thats potentially 28-30 kids. 

Don't be a glass half empty guy. 

Too late, although I find his childish antics funny.

He can’t take the ball and go home because it’s not his ball to begin with.  I’m not saying the losing streak isn’t bad because it is.   We only had one winning season during my years in the cornfields and sometimes we’d get blown out.  Yet, no one was saying our doom was imminent.  You know why?  It wasn’t.   Still isn’t.

8 minutes ago, ts32 said:

I know, a lot of members here have seen enough of DT’s contraction, some might call it “diatribe”...

But has anyone seen Dugger Union’s Sagarin rating? 

-52.82! 😳 I don’t recall ever seeing anything lower than -2 or -3!

Diatribe is one applicable term.  I have a few others...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gipper said:

In case you missed it, and you probably have, the 0-4 South Newton Rebels will face the 0-4 Lake Station Eagles in what should be dubbed the Contraction Bowl...

DT is going to sing the National anthem...

I don't mean to diss DT (that much).  I know he's probably means well, but he went a little too far this time as I am a proud alum and had some of the best memories in life happen in Kentland, Goodland, and Brook.  Raub and Earl Park, too, but some things are best left unsaid...

That being said, the population is small and life can be boring, but here's the kicker: sports bring people together.  SN has had their fair share of great athletes and that will continue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

I don't mean to diss DT (that much).  I know he's probably means well, but he went a little too far this time as I am a proud alum and had some of the best memories in life happen in Kentland, Goodland, and Brook.  Raub and Earl Park, too, but some things are best left unsaid...

That being said, the population is small and life can be boring, but here's the kicker: sports bring people together.  SN has had their fair share of great athletes and that will continue.

Sam Logan. Wow that kid was a STUD.