Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Vincennes / Jasper

For the final time as Big 8 members...this could be a lopsided affair down at Inman Field. Both teams are 1-3, but couldn’t be further apart at this point in time.

Jasper has played their usual brutal early season schedule, and could easily be 3-1. The one victory they own over Boonville still has them in the best position for a conference championship. It seems the Cats have found an identity on offense and have been very good the last 3 weeks.

Lincoln, meanwhile, might’ve hit rock bottom last Friday at Mt Vernon (I hope). Offensively, there hasn’t been much, if any, consistency running or throwing. There was improvement moving up and down the field on MV, but critical penalties and turnovers squandered scoring opportunities. The defense, which had been outstanding the first 3 weeks keeping them in games, suddenly lacked focus and discipline, giving up several big scoring plays. Just an overall collapse for a team who realistically felt they would contend for the Big 8. I’m optimistic they can right the ship over the next month, but there needs to be some big strides made starting this Friday. 

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

Over/under 

4 posts before this becomes “Why the SIAC isn’t good for Vincennes / Jasper” thread

No, this thread will stay focused on the game and any conference talks will get moved to that thread. Jasper put up more points than I expected against HH, not sure that bodes well for VL; although, the Alices seem to get up for any kind of game against the the Wildcats. I hate cliches, but especially this year, "throw the records out the window" for this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

For the final time as Big 8 members...this could be a lopsided affair down at Inman Field. Both teams are 1-3, but couldn’t be further apart at this point in time.

Jasper has played their usual brutal early season schedule, and could easily be 3-1. The one victory they own over Boonville still has them in the best position for a conference championship. It seems the Cats have found an identity on offense and have been very good the last 3 weeks.

Lincoln, meanwhile, might’ve hit rock bottom last Friday at Mt Vernon (I hope). Offensively, there hasn’t been much, if any, consistency running or throwing. There was improvement moving up and down the field on MV, but critical penalties and turnovers squandered scoring opportunities. The defense, which had been outstanding the first 3 weeks keeping them in games, suddenly lacked focus and discipline, giving up several big scoring plays. Just an overall collapse for a team who realistically felt they would contend for the Big 8. I’m optimistic they can right the ship over the next month, but there needs to be some big strides made starting this Friday. 

I think their defense has some dudes. But when I watched them last week, Floyd Central played very conservative on offense for some odd reason. Their were things in the passing game that they could have got done. I also thought your backup QB was better than the Starting QB. Best of luck to you guys. I think your coach is a good one.

26 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

No, this thread will stay focused on the game and any conference talks will get moved to that thread. Jasper put up more points than I expected against HH, not sure that bodes well for VL; although, the Alices seem to get up for any kind of game against the the Wildcats. I hate cliches, but especially this year, "throw the records out the window" for this one.

Much appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I think their defense has some dudes. But when I watched them last week, Floyd Central played very conservative on offense for some odd reason. Their were things in the passing game that they could have got done. I also thought your backup QB was better than the Starting QB. Best of luck to you guys. I think your coach is a good one.

The backup Vickers started last Friday. As I said above, they made some progress consistently moving the ball.

Best of luck to FC as well! Great facilities over there! Shame we only met the one time!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

Much appreciated. 

The backup Vickers started last Friday. As I said above, they made some progress consistently moving the ball.

Best of luck to FC as well! Great facilities over there! Shame we only met the one time!

Thank you! Yeah I would love to play a series. I think it would be pretty competitive. You guys have talent up there.

• Like 1

I can see Vincennes putting up a bigger fight just because it's Jasper. There is plenty of history between these 2 teams. Lincoln has won 3 in a row, but the way it sounds their offense has been struggling and their defense can only hold the other team off for so long. 

On 9/16/2019 at 9:50 AM, Cat02 said:

I can see Vincennes putting up a bigger fight just because it's Jasper. There is plenty of history between these 2 teams. Lincoln has won 3 in a row, but the way it sounds their offense has been struggling and their defense can only hold the other team off for so long. 

I honestly don’t know what Lincoln team we will see. If they’re going to pull off the upset, they’ll have to strike quickly much like last year at Alumni Stadium. If that happens, I feel the defense can keep this game within reach. It could just as easily be a 3-4 score win for the Cats. 

Either way, I expect a fantastic atmosphere and the weather forecast looks good.

Amazing atmosphere tonight as expected. I always love to see a buzz around Inman before a big game and this one never disappoints. The Jasper faithful had a good showing and were clearly overjoyed to avoid a 3rd straight loss to their rival. They made sure to let us know it. Another humbling night for Lincoln, but the favor will be returned in the near future. I suspect this will be a Week 9 matchup beginning next season during Rivalry Week in the SIAC. That should be fun. 

Lincoln is now 1-4. Most in football circles would’ve considered 2-3 a worst case scenario for the Alices at this point in the season. Needless to say, it’s been a new challenge for Coach Salters and his staff.  They’ve been really good the last 2 years. This is uncharted territory.

But tonight was a big step in the right direction IMO, offensively in particular. For the first time, I felt that they’ve figured out what pieces they have and how best to use them. It starts at QB. Vickers has improved exponentially in just 3 games since taking the starting job. The 6’3” junior threw for just shy of 300 tonight and ran the offense very well. The playbook seemed to open up a little more as the comfort level grows. His aggressive approach kept Lincoln in the game with some big time throws. The O-line was noticeably better as well, providing some clean pockets. 

What hurt tonight was much of what plagued Lincoln a week ago...Turnovers on some forced throws and big plays allowed on defense. Much of that can be credited to Jasper. They are without a doubt the best in the Big 8 in 2019. I thought Boonville was good up front. Jasper is better. I thought Mockobee of Boonville was a beast RB. Hopf for Jasper was better. It was an old school Jasper type of game, but with Triple Option rather than Pro I. 

If the Alices can keep making positive strides, I still think there’s a chance they make some noise in late October. Next week presents another challenge with county rival NK, who has already stunned another Big 8 opponent. The Alices will have to be as good, if not better to come away with a win.

5 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Amazing atmosphere tonight as expected. I always love to see a buzz around Inman before a big game and this one never disappoints. The Jasper faithful had a good showing and were clearly overjoyed to avoid a 3rd straight loss to their rival. They made sure to let us know it. Another humbling night for Lincoln, but the favor will be returned in the near future. I suspect this will be a Week 9 matchup beginning next season during Rivalry Week in the SIAC. That should be fun. 

Lincoln is now 1-4. Most in football circles would’ve considered 2-3 a worst case scenario for the Alices at this point in the season. Needless to say, it’s been a new challenge for Coach Salters and his staff.  They’ve been really good the last 2 years. This is uncharted territory.

But tonight was a big step in the right direction IMO, offensively in particular. For the first time, I felt that they’ve figured out what pieces they have and how best to use them. It starts at QB. Vickers has improved exponentially in just 3 games since taking the starting job. The 6’3” junior threw for just shy of 300 tonight and ran the offense very well. The playbook seemed to open up a little more as the comfort level grows. His aggressive approach kept Lincoln in the game with some big time throws. The O-line was noticeably better as well, providing some clean pockets. 

What hurt tonight was much of what plagued Lincoln a week ago...Turnovers on some forced throws and big plays allowed on defense. Much of that can be credited to Jasper. They are without a doubt the best in the Big 8 in 2019. I thought Boonville was good up front. Jasper is better. I thought Mockobee of Boonville was a beast RB. Hopf for Jasper was better. It was an old school Jasper type of game, but with Triple Option rather than Pro I. 

If the Alices can keep making positive strides, I still think there’s a chance they make some noise in late October. Next week presents another challenge with county rival NK, who has already stunned another Big 8 opponent. The Alices will have to be as good, if not better to come away with a win.

Well- you don’t exactly have a barn burner of a sectional, so that shouldn’t hurt matters. Whatever the IHSSA was drinking when they aligned 30,31,and 32, think I’d like to have some. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, tango said:

Lincoln's losses to Boonville and Mt. Vernon were surprising, especially after Jasper beat Boonville so bad.  I have no idea what to expect in this game.  

And after little ol' 2A's North Knox and Linton both beat Boonville...

Side note, nice to see the Warriors back on the winning track! Us oldtimers remember the days when North Knox was a football powerhouse!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, SEAL_63 said:

I think the Alices still showed improvements. Vickers had some good throws, but his receivers could have helped him out by catching the ball. The 1st half I was a little worried. Our secondary has struggled in certain games, VL in past games exposed this. I think Our Defense did a good job in slowing them down. We also switched QBs went with Blake Mann instead of Nathan Rillo, They moved Rillo to Safety and Receiver which he had a pick six and a reception score. Hopf did well knowing Dawkins was limited with an Illness. Overall, happy with the outcome. Good luck to the Alice's in the remainder of the season. Sectional 32 looks to be heavily favored by the PAC. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:14 AM, jets said:

Well- you don’t exactly have a barn burner of a sectional, so that shouldn’t hurt matters. Whatever the IHSSA was drinking when they aligned 30,31,and 32, think I’d like to have some. 

I appreciate all input from our PAC friends. 

10 hours ago, Cat02 said:

I think the Alices still showed improvements. Vickers had some good throws, but his receivers could have helped him out by catching the ball. The 1st half I was a little worried. Our secondary has struggled in certain games, VL in past games exposed this. I think Our Defense did a good job in slowing them down. We also switched QBs went with Blake Mann instead of Nathan Rillo, They moved Rillo to Safety and Receiver which he had a pick six and a reception score. Hopf did well knowing Dawkins was limited with an Illness. Overall, happy with the outcome. Good luck to the Alice's in the remainder of the season. Sectional 32 looks to be heavily favored by the PAC. 

Lincoln was moved to Sectional 30 with SR bumping to 3A via success rule. But I agree, 32 is all PAC, with GS the favorite (in case you didn’t already know). It is what it is. VL has no control over this. Fortunately, we have time to focus on ourselves to prepare for postseason. This does not mean we will win a single game in Sectional 30. But it sure beats facing, the competition in 32. One thing with this program that’s been apparent over the last two seasons, they’re always trending upward and are playing their best come October. I believe the 2019 team will follow suit. 

As for Jasper, I like there chances as good as any in 24 if they continue to grow in this new offense. The team I saw Friday reminded me so much of the teams 10-15 years ago. Anytime you can have a consistent strong presence up front like the Cats have, you’re usually always competitive. The personnel really hasn’t changed over the past several years, but the offensive scheme has. Give Coach Lewis credit for implementing the Triple-Option and finding near instant success. Lincoln has been pretty stout against the run this season, and gave up 350 on the ground Friday. Hopf sees a hole and goes from 1st to 5th gear in no time flat. Not sure if he’s your best back or not, but the dude has wheels.