Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Boonville Pioneers @ Linton Stockton Miners

I must admit I don't know much about the Pioneers.  I do know they finished last season with an 11 - 1.  They were Big 8 champs and undefeated for the season until falling in their sectional championship.  Looking at what they have done this year, I would have to say they must have had a heavy graduation and are rebuilding this season.  Their recent game was a 34 - 20 loss to North Knox, a program Linton is very familiar with.  I have to believe last week's final score raised a few eyebrows.  The Pioneers average 23 points per game and give up 23 points per game.  I'm sure the Miners have looked forward to this game with a new opponent especially given the step up in competition (4A program).   After a week one loss to Southridge, the Miners have run off 3 consecutive wins.  The Miners average 32 points per game while giving up 15.  In the end, if the Miners defense can limit Boonville's offense, I'd have to say the game will go Linton's way.  Linton's offense is well balanced and can score on long drives or can score quickly.  Goodman does an excellent job managing the offense and if you ignore him, he is very capable at tucking the ball and running.  And if you give him time to throw, he is very capable of picking you apart with the weapons he has to choose from.   Harrell has predicted the Miners win, 31 - 17.  Should be a good one at Roy Williams field this Friday!  Best of luck and good health to both teams!

Many had Boonville as favorite for the Big Eight this season , The Pioneers returned 7 starters on offense including All conference quarterback Phillips who passed for 1049 yards and rushed for 659 yards last season. In addition to Phillips they returned the speedster Mockobee  343 rushing yards and 154 receiving yards so with those 2 and 5 other starters back were expected to put points on the board so I don't know if the reason the offense is averaging about 16 points less per game this season then last season is because of issues with  the offensive line  or the impact of graduating  star running back Luke Connor who rushed for over 1900 yards and scored 28 touchdowns last season is greater then expected..

Defense  only returned  5 starters but  one of them had 140 tackles .

I was down to Booneville the last time the Miners played the Pioneers.  It was 1945.  Undefeated Linton, 9 - 0 - 1 defeated the Pioneers 21 - 6, one of two Booneville losses that year.  The Miners were Southern Indiana Athletic Conference champions in 1945.  Linton's only blemish was a 6 - 6 tie with Terre Haute Garfield.  The Miners only gave up 24 points in their 10 games.  I was a high school freshman and was in the band.  The band traveled to all out of town games and performed on the home field in those days.  We traveled with the team to South Bend to play SB Riley in the opening game the next year.  Stayed overnight in SB.  Great days to be a Miner.  (And it still is) 😎 Another thing special about that year was a victory over arch-rival Sullivan 22- 0, the first win over Sullivan in 13 years.  It was the traditional season ending Armistice Day (now Veterans Day) game, played at Sullivan that year.  Touched off one of the wildest celebrations in the annals of Linton football.  Several Linton fans remained overnight in the Sullivan County jail. 😁

Back to the 1945 Booneville game, an excerpt from the Linton 1946 yearbook states, "Our boys showed what they were made of in the next tilt by outscoring a fine Booneville team that lost only two games all season.  This was perhaps the roughest game of the season, with Booneville outweighing our players at every position.  Bud Peterson scored all three touchdowns in the 21 - 6 victory."  (Peterson was a two - year, all - state halfback for Linton.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 1984 said:

Just FYI... only one E in Boonville

Just like Linten-Stockten 😂

You got the extra "E" because I'm a heavy tipper.    Humor for humor.  I could have said, "Pionears".  LOL  I would caution using the name, "Minors" instead of Miners.   I think the last time someone posted that, their team was totally embarrassed on the field.  It's all good though.  And I apologize for the typo in the spelling.  So it's boon , like an adventure and not boone like Daniel Boone.  Got it.

• Like 1

I will admit to being very surprised by the Warrior win.   Certainly this makes me think twice about the Warriors..   The talk was that their D was good, but the offense?   I only saw video from the Sullivan 15-12 loss...and thought.. yes. .the D held a potent Arrow attack at 15, all early... but the offense?  Then they put 65 and 44 points back to back and held both opponents to 0.. but again... Eastern G is 0-4, Tecumseh is 1-3 (their win over 0-4 Pike Central).  I thought Boonville would be too big too quick too much depth... etc...  I had looked at that big QB and that speedy RB and some of those big guys up front and thought.. ok.. we will see what NK can do.  Well we did.  THey held the Pioneers to 6 for a long time.. and 2 TD's til deeper in the game... but the surprise here is the 34 points put up.  Holtman Doades 219 rushing yards!!  Cole Richter another 116??    I was very surprised.  I guess maybe I put too much stock in the Pioneers beating Vincennes Lincoln 19-6.  I mean they are 1-3 too.  And Washington is 0-4 as well.   I thought the Jasper loss might be more that Jasper was ultra fired up after a loss to Southridge....and considering the Wildcats other 2 losses are to Memorial & Heritage Hills!  

Sounds like NK was very physical.. and just pounded the Pioneers up front.  I mean that's what NK's offense has been for many years now.   That's how they make their hay.   Now if Linton can match that physicality.. which is definitely a Miner trademark, and run the ball anywhere like the Warriors did.. which is another Miner trademark.. I feel good about the Miner chances this week.  But that said.. i would imagine this was a major disappointment for boonville.  I would imagine there will be some serious work put in this week and some massive challenges presented to the Pioneer players...  They are the defending Big 8 champs.. I know there has to be some pride there.  I can't fathom they won't be better prepared for this week... some changes or alterations made...  i know Linton cannot take Boonville for granted.  It's a chance to play someone in 4A and prove ourselves just as it was for North Knox. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

You got the extra "E" because I'm a heavy tipper.    Humor for humor.  I could have said, "Pionears".  LOL  I would caution using the name, "Minors" instead of Miners.   I think the last time someone posted that, their team was totally embarrassed on the field.  It's all good though.  And I apologize for the typo in the spelling.  So it's boon , like an adventure and not boone like Daniel Boone.  Got it.

Just having some fun. If the Linton Miners aren't at least a 3 score favorite I'd be surprised. Boonville can't be the same team they were last year, no wonder they didn't want to join the SIAC or PAC for that matter. Adding HH, GS and potentially SR won't be any easier.

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yea it’s Boonville with 1 E.  Like the song “One Night in Boonville” by Furryhead and the Favorites.  Great tune!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

I'm still amazed we are Linton-Stockton.. I mean we are... but around here it's Linton!

I think when they built the former high school building in 1921 They officially added Stockton to the name. including Stockton Township.  However, until recent years it was always called Linton High School.  I don't like it either.  Some folks think we are a consolidation.

19 hours ago, kingtut said:

I was down to Booneville the last time the Miners played the Pioneers.  It was 1945.  Undefeated Linton, 9 - 0 - 1 defeated the Pioneers 21 - 6, one of two Booneville losses that year.  The Miners were Southern Indiana Athletic Conference champions in 1945.  Linton's only blemish was a 6 - 6 tie with Terre Haute Garfield.  The Miners only gave up 24 points in their 10 games.  I was a high school freshman and was in the band.  The band traveled to all out of town games and performed on the home field in those days.  We traveled with the team to South Bend to play SB Riley in the opening game the next year.  Stayed overnight in SB.  Great days to be a Miner.  (And it still is) 😎 Another thing special about that year was a victory over arch-rival Sullivan 22- 0, the first win over Sullivan in 13 years.  It was the traditional season ending Armistice Day (now Veterans Day) game, played at Sullivan that year.  Touched off one of the wildest celebrations in the annals of Linton football.  Several Linton fans remained overnight in the Sullivan County jail. 😁

Back to the 1945 Booneville game, an excerpt from the Linton 1946 yearbook states, "Our boys showed what they were made of in the next tilt by outscoring a fine Booneville team that lost only two games all season.  This was perhaps the roughest game of the season, with Booneville outweighing our players at every position.  Bud Peterson scored all three touchdowns in the 21 - 6 victory."  (Peterson was a two - year, all - state halfback for Linton.)

I would have edited the darn thing.  I don't like making mistakes like that but there was no edit function on my post for some reason or other.

• Like 1

Looking back over Boonville's records for the last 25 years they have not often had back to back winning seasons. They had three winning seasons in a row in 2003,2004, and 2005. Then back to back winning seasons in 2015 and 2016. Those are the only back to back winning seasons going back to 1994.

5 hours ago, 1984 said:

Just having some fun. If the Linton Miners aren't at least a 3 score favorite I'd be surprised. Boonville can't be the same team they were last year, no wonder they didn't want to join the SIAC or PAC for that matter. Adding HH, GS and potentially SR won't be any easier.

Same here 1984 - just having some fun.  I like posters who have a sense of humor without being a tool if you get what I mean.  I am not taking anything for granted.  Boonvillle IS a 4A program and has had some recent success.  I know they have some good players at certain positions so it isn't going to be "cake" for the Miners.  I think this is the first 4A school Linton has had on their schedule since Northview back in the 90's.  Whether the Pioneers are up or down, it's a step up in class for the Miners and not another 70 - 0 blowout of some 1A team.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ts32 said:

Yeah like Indiana Football Digest...

"There are few communities that embrace their Friday night football better than the southwest Indiana towns of Linton and Stockton"

In all fairness, our roster casts a pretty wide net these days....

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, kingtut said:

I would have edited the darn thing.  I don't like making mistakes like that but there was no edit function on my post for some reason or other.

ahh don't worry about it.  I have edit.. I use edit.. and I am the King of grammatical errors and spelling....  I just type to fast!!

15 hours ago, hick said:

In all fairness, our roster casts a pretty wide net these days....

In all fairness, it does...

Mostly was a joke pointed at the media for thinking there is actually a town "Stockton" 😝

Edited by ts32

On 9/16/2019 at 8:19 PM, Titan20 said:

Yea it’s Boonville with 1 E.  Like the song “One Night in Boonville” by Furryhead and the Favorites.  Great tune!

The city doesn't help itself when there is a "Booneville Inn" or motel sign on the main highway just east of town. I wonder if it's still there.

I still think Boonville can get a win here. 

As stated previously, I think they discounted NK and got punched in the mouth. (sort of reminds me of the near loss to Bosse last season) Before they knew it, they were down a couple scores and couldn’t climb back in it. They just aren’t as dynamic offensively as they were a year ago. Jasper exposed them as one dimensional. Even against Lincoln, their points came from short fields and just grinding the Alices defense down. If they can get you in that type of game they’re tough to beat. 

The Miners won’t have the element of surprise so I think this will be close.