Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southwestern Indiana Top 10 Power Rankings

After four weeks, I think we have an adequate sample size...

1. Memorial (4-0)
2. Gibson Southern (3-1)
3. Central (3-1)
4. Heritage Hills (4-0)
5. Mater Dei (3-1)
6. Southridge (4-0)
7. Castle (3-1)
8. North (2-2)
9. Linton (3-1)
10. Jasper (1-3)
HM: North Knox (3-1), Mount Vernon (2-2), North Daviess (4-0), Reitz (1-3)

This was not easy. Spots 1-3 could be interchangable. As could spots 4-7. Outside of the top six or so teams, the big schools are making it hard to assess where everyone stands. Would North Knox really hang in a game with Jasper or Reitz?

I put my neck out there. Your turn... Instead of a new thread each week, let's just keep updating this as the season progresses. Some interesting matchups forthcoming. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

1. Memorial (4-0)
2. Gibson Southern (3-1)
3. Central (3-1)
4. Heritage Hills (4-0)
5. Mater Dei (3-1)
6. Southridge (3-1)
7. Castle (3-1)
8. North (2-2)
9. Linton (2-2)
10. Jasper (1-3)

This was not easy. Spots 1-3 could be interchangable. As could spots 4-7. Outside of the top six or so teams, the big schools are making it hard to access where everyone stands. Would North Knox really hang in a game with Jasper or Reitz?

I put my neck out there. Your turn... Instead of a new thread each week, let's just keep updating this as the season progresses. Some interesting matchups forthcoming. 

3-1?? Who did you have us losing to?? 

26 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

1. Memorial (4-0)
2. Gibson Southern (3-1)
3. Central (3-1)
4. Heritage Hills (4-0)
5. Mater Dei (3-1)
6. Southridge (3-1)
7. Castle (3-1)
8. North (2-2)
9. Linton (2-2)
10. Jasper (1-3)

This was not easy. Spots 1-3 could be interchangable. As could spots 4-7. Outside of the top six or so teams, the big schools are making it hard to access where everyone stands. Would North Knox really hang in a game with Jasper or Reitz?

Southridge 3-1?????  I thought they were 4-0??

1.Gibson Southern (3-1) They went to Indy for a tough game Saturday
2.Memorial (4-0) 
3. Heritage Hills (4-0) 
4. Mater Dei (3-1)
5. Central (3-1)
6. Southridge (4-0)
7. Castle (3-1)
8. North (2-2)
9. Linton (2-2)
10. Jasper (1-3) Will win the remainder of their games

49 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

1. Memorial (4-0)
2. Gibson Southern (3-1)
3. Central (3-1)
4. Heritage Hills (4-0)
5. Mater Dei (3-1)
6. Southridge (3-1)
7. Castle (3-1)
8. North (2-2)
9. Linton (2-2)
10. Jasper (1-3)

1. Memorial (4-0)
2. Gibson Southern (3-1)
3. Central (3-1)
4. Heritage Hills (4-0)
5. Mater Dei (3-1)
6. Southridge (4-0)
7. Castle (3-1)
8. North (2-2)
9. Linton (3-1)
10. Jasper (1-3)

Just updated Linton's record. As to whether North Knox can hang, it it possible as their line is pretty good, but I feel like depth and the skill positions would not be that of the larger school.

Edited by miner_35

3 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

About time we got this poll, even if two teams records were reported incorrectly!  I think this year, GS may have been able to take on Memorial and get the W.  Toss up i'd say, but I still like the Titans in that matchup.  

They’ve said the same thing for the last 3 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2017statechamps said:

And from 12-15, GS beat Memorial(they didnt play in 15, but GS would have won), so whats your point?  I'm talking about this year, not the last 10 years.

My comment had nothing to do with yours....simply a jab at your boy shakdown who has a 3 year memory.  You might be right about this year.

22 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

About time we got this poll, even if two teams records were reported incorrectly!  I think this year, GS may have been able to take on Memorial and get the W.  Toss up i'd say, but I still like the Titans in that matchup.  

It's a shame Memorial had to jump up to 4A this year. lol. Not to jump into Sectional, but It looks like Sectional 32 will come down to the PAC Teams this year.

4 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

And from 12-15, GS beat Memorial(they didnt play in 15, but GS would have won), so whats your point?  I'm talking about this year, not the last 10 years.

Those 12-15 Memorial teams also all had losing records, and had played GS to within one TD for 2/3 years. 

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

My comment had nothing to do with yours....simply a jab at your boy shakdown who has a 3 year memory.  You might be right about this year.

3 year memory? I haven’t forgotten that Memorial has gone to LOS 4 out of the last 11 years, how many times has GS made that trip? It’s funny how GS fans are the first to call someone out about having short-term memory, but forget they were irrelevant until 2012.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Those 12-15 Memorial teams also all had losing records, and had played GS to within one TD for 2/3 years. 

3 year memory? I haven’t forgotten that Memorial has gone to LOS 4 out of the last 11 years, how many times has GS made that trip? It’s funny how GS fans are the first to call someone out about having short-term memory, but forget they were irrelevant until 2012.

At least we can agree those Memorial teams weren't great.  And look up Jack Jewell...thanks junior....new material would be awesome.

Edited by Titan32

Love when these topics become about one or two teams.

How about North Knox, Mt. Vernon, Southridge, North, and Reitz?

Nobody would have had NK near this list 4 weeks ago.

MtV replaces Mr. Everything Sam Thomas and looks better.

Southridge loses a great Senior class and one of the best athletes in the state gives up football and they keep rolling along.

What a great Job Coach Paridean is doing at North, those kids and families have clearly bought into his program!!!

Reitz? Reitz!! What is going on on the hill?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

At least we can agree those Memorial teams weren't great.  And look up Jack Jewell...thanks junior....new material would be awesome.

Jack Jewell win percentage-65.65%

John Hurley win percentage-62.5%

Jewell’s win percentage was so high because of the level of competition they played every year.

Jewell and Hart are the only 2 coaches in GS history with winning records.

2012-2015 are over and you can continue to argue about how good those teams were, but they failed to make it to LOS in the middle of Memorial going 4/11 years... thanks senior... new material would be awesome.

Thank you Cappy!    I said after we played North that they will cause problems for some teams in the SIAC this year.  They are much improved, tougher, and playing more as a team than in recent years.  Coach P clearly has them buying in to the system.  That is a good thing for the SIAC.  I think they will get MD this Friday.  I think Reitz will get things headed in the right direction by tournament time.  Don't know much about NK, MtV or the Ridge.  Doesn't surprise me that Buening has SR rolling.  I like that guy a lot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Jack Jewell win percentage-65.65%

John Hurley win percentage-62.5%

Jewell’s win percentage was so high because of the level of competition they played every year.

Jewell and Hart are the only 2 coaches in GS history with winning records.

2012-2015 are over and you can continue to argue about how good those teams were, but they failed to make it to LOS in the middle of Memorial going 4/11 years... thanks senior... new material would be awesome.

You need to take a much closer look at the Big 8 in the Jewell years....junior.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, 2017statechamps said:

Noted and corrected. In a toss up game like Southridge and Mater Dei, I think you have to give last year's match up some weight. 

Previously we've included Mount Carmel. I'd list them between North and Linton. 

Edited by hhpatriot04

26 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Maybe you can tell us about Jewell. I see his overall record at Gibson Southern but can not find year by year results. I see that he won a share of the 1993 Big 8 championship.  Can not find anything else.

JACK C. JEWELL  (Deceased)

Inducted:  July 16, 1988 in Ft. Branch, IN             

Date of Birth:  April 22, 1937 in Owensboro, KY

High School Attended:  Owensboro               Graduated:  1955

High School Honors:  Football team was acclaimed State Champions by several KY newspapers 1954; Honorable Mention All-State 1954; received a football scholarship to Indiana University in 1955.

College Attended: Attended Indiana University 1955, then transferred to WKU 1956

Western Kentucky          Graduated:  1961 

College Honors:  2nd Team All-Ohio Valley Conference 1959

Coaching Experience:  Mitchell, IN HS assistant coach 2 years; Tell City assistant coach 5 years; Fort Branch head coach 1968-1973, with a record of 42-9-3 and undefeated in 1972; Gibson Southern head coach 1974-1986, with a record of 86-45; overall record as head coach for 19 years of 128-54-3 and with only 1 losing season in those 19 years.

Coaching Honors:  Pocket Athletic Conference Champions 1971, 1972, and 1974; Big 8 Co-Champions 1983.

Outstanding Players Coached:  Terry Cole, Mitchell HS; Don Angermeir, Gibson Southern HS South All-Star 1976; Kelly Maurer, Gibson Southern HS football captain and South All-Star 1981.

Family:  Wife, Beverly; children, Piper and Jeff

Coach Jewell passed away March 3, 1996.

Fort Branch Record:

1968    5-2-2
1969    6-1-1
1970    6-3
1971    8-1
1972    9-0
1973    8-2

Gibson Southern Record:

Year    Record
1974    9-1
1975    8-2
1976    7-3
1977    7-3
1978    6-4
1979    8-2
1980    7-3
1981    6-4
1982    5-5
1983    9-1
1984    5-5
1985    7-4
1986    2-8

3 hours ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Loosing records but still in the SIAC and are not supposed to loose to the dismal PAC or Big 8. Memotial is in their last year of relivance just as Reitz was last year.