Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southwestern Indiana Top 10 Power Rankings

14 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

It was before my time, when and why did Gibson leave the PAC and then rejoin? 

Gibson Southern left the PAC in 1979 when the Big Eight Conference was formed.....perhaps driven by Coach Jewell's success and the promise of a highly competitive conference... then dropping enrollment (well down into 2A) drove the move back in 1994 only made worse by the loss of the Emge packing plant in 1999 (400 layoffs).  I wasn't in the fold in those days but I am sure there were real or perceived competitive reasons as well.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Gibson Southern left the PAC in 1979 when the Big Eight Conference was formed.....perhaps driven by Coach Jewell's success and the promise of a highly competitive conference... then dropping enrollment (well down into 2A) drove the move back in 1994 only made worse by the loss of the Emge packing plant in 1999 (400 layoffs).  I wasn't in the fold in those days but I am sure there were real or perceived competitive reasons as well.

Do you feel that having the Toyota plant nearby has pushed up enrollment?

[complete, 100% sarcasm]

If this were a Cathedral or Penn thread:

Why didn’t Gibson Southern petition the IHSAA to play 4A against Memorial? Scared?? 

[end sarcasm]

I’m really curious to see how North stacks up with Mater Dei. MD has Lannert playing defense who might be able prevent McKinney from breaking a big run. Speed galore. 

Completely agree that Coach P has North going in the right way. And just in time, as I could see them going 6A next classification cycle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cat02 said:

Do you feel that having the Toyota plant nearby has pushed up enrollment?

Without question.  To what degree is debatable.  I do feel it has helped the most in keeping people home.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Without question.  To what degree is debatable.  I do feel it has helped the most in keeping people home.

That is a great point.  Probably not drawing a ton of new folks in, but certainly is an employer that can provide a great opportunity to keep folks around to raise a family and have a nice standard of living.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

[I’m really curious to see how North stacks up with Mater Dei. MD has Lannert playing defense who might be able prevent McKinney from breaking a big run. Speed galore. 

Completely agree that Coach P has North going in the right way. And just in time, as I could see them going 6A next classification cycle.

I don't think Lannert has McKinney speed.  The North QB is pretty good too.

3 hours ago, reitzguy said:

Memotial is in their last year of relivance just as Reitz was last year.

I would point out that many thought Memorial would suffer a huge drop-off this year, and I certainly don't agree with your assessment that Reitz is irrelevant.  Maybe having a down year on the hill, but that doesn't make them irrelevant.  

4 hours ago, reitzguy said:

Memotial is in their last year of relivance just as Reitz was last year.

Come out and watch 7th thru 9th grade teams play.  Lol.  Freshmen class best group I’ve seen in years at Memorial and 7th grade just as good. Future is extremely bright in cake-eaterville.  

Funny thing....last year was supposed to be the last year of relevance. 

Edited by Screagle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Noted and corrected. In a toss up game like Southridge and Mater Dei, I think you have to give last year's match up some weight. 

Previously we've included Mount Carmel. I'd list them between North and Linton. 

I’m so confused...you do realize Southridge beat MD last year, correct? And the year before that as well?? And actually I’m pretty sure have a winning record against them in the last decade or so?? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Screagle said:

Come out and watch 7th thru 9th grade teams play.  Lol.  Freshmen class best group I’ve seen in years at Memorial and 7th grade just as good. Future is extremely bright in cake-eaterville.  

Does memorial have good freshmen numbers? I thought I heard they brought a freshmen/sophomore combination to  GS this season because of not having enough for just a freshmen team

5 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

Does memorial have good freshmen numbers? I thought I heard they brought a freshmen/sophomore combination to  GS this season because of not having enough for just a freshmen team

Out of a total roster of 71 players listed on their Maxpreps page 22 are freshman

1 hour ago, jets said:

I’m so confused...you do realize Southridge beat MD last year, correct? And the year before that as well?? And actually I’m pretty sure have a winning record against them in the last decade or so?? 

Unless I miscounted, MD is 8-6 against Southridge as far back as 94....which is closer to two decades, but that's just how far back Harrell's site goes.  

1 hour ago, Titan76 said:

23 to 25  plus one playing only varsity OL. I think the JV team was going to be short kids for JV so Memorial has moved freshman up to play the JV schedule a few weeks. I don’t see 2 freshman listed that came out after school started on maxpreps.  

Edited by Screagle

9 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

Unless I miscounted, MD is 8-6 against Southridge as far back as 94....which is closer to two decades, but that's just how far back Harrell's site goes.  

SR was bumped to 3A for 2 years due to enrollment and now two years for Success factor.  I do believe SR would have taken care of business against MD the two years we were up.  Just IMO. 

You guys are showing calpreps this calpreps that...but look at this.

D5BBCBEC-9109-424C-9EAF-88AB806E47C3.thumb.jpeg.352f621be355991e9692efa03f25d405.jpeg

this years team is only 4 points better than last years team according to the computer....which is malarkey imo. 

This teams defense has really stepped up and is pretty fast. The 2015 team with klem is the only team I would argue had a better defense. In terms of offense...this year it’s really special.  In years past running the up tempo, GS almost struggled to drive the ball down the field. It was largely chunk plays and there were plenty of times where you could get GS to a 3 and out. It’s the downfall of up tempo. If you get stalled, you just give the ball right back and the other team can eat up clock. It’s been the gameplan of other teams.....but this years team there are simply so many weapons and they have shown that they will drive the ball down the field if you stop the big plays.  It’s truly something different this year. 

Between delong butler and May at WR, any of those 3 could go for well over 100 yards on a given night. Butler can play RB in place of Spindler...Spindler has really stepped up as a pass catching RB too. This last week we seen a new wrinkle of using the TE a lot more.  The OL is also improved over last year in that they are picking up blitzes better and playing smarter.

This is all without even factoring in Allen who spent all off season training at camps and going to 7on7s and is playing like a true upperclassman.

all in all, the computer projections can say whatever but it simply isn’t as accurate as it should be to speculate like we want to.  This year’s GS team is much better than just a 4 point spread over last years and that’s a testimony to how much these returning players have worked to get better. 

Speculate all you want about memorial vs GS but it’s pointless. I think what we really need to be talking about is this matchup in 2 weeks in the jungle.  Last year Heritage Hills smacked GS bad and handed them a 31-7 loss. After the game, Coach Hart was very upset and said on the radio broadcast “whatever it takes, I’m going to find 11 kids who want to play titan football”. Heritage Hills has returned a ton of their team and are locked and loaded.  

Memorial Vs GS is for the birds

GIbson Southern @ Heritage Hills is the game we need to talk about. And imo I would probably rank them 1A 1B in this ranking.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Screagle said:

Wait...aren't you the guys that says feeder success doesn't matter?  Hopefully it doesn't matter with that 7th grade basketball team last year.

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You guys are showing calpreps this calpreps that...but look at this.

D5BBCBEC-9109-424C-9EAF-88AB806E47C3.thumb.jpeg.352f621be355991e9692efa03f25d405.jpeg

this years team is only 4 points better than last years team according to the computer....which is malarkey imo. 

This teams defense has really stepped up and is pretty fast. The 2015 team with klem is the only team I would argue had a better defense. In terms of offense...this year it’s really special.  In years past running the up tempo, GS almost struggled to drive the ball down the field. It was largely chunk plays and there were plenty of times where you could get GS to a 3 and out. It’s the downfall of up tempo. If you get stalled, you just give the ball right back and the other team can eat up clock. It’s been the gameplan of other teams.....but this years team there are simply so many weapons and they have shown that they will drive the ball down the field if you stop the big plays.  It’s truly something different this year. 

Between delong butler and May at WR, any of those 3 could go for well over 100 yards on a given night. Butler can play RB in place of Spindler...Spindler has really stepped up as a pass catching RB too. This last week we seen a new wrinkle of using the TE a lot more.  The OL is also improved over last year in that they are picking up blitzes better and playing smarter.

This is all without even factoring in Allen who spent all off season training at camps and going to 7on7s and is playing like a true upperclassman.

all in all, the computer projections can say whatever but it simply isn’t as accurate as it should be to speculate like we want to.  This year’s GS team is much better than just a 4 point spread over last years and that’s a testimony to how much these returning players have worked to get better. 

Speculate all you want about memorial vs GS but it’s pointless. I think what we really need to be talking about is this matchup in 2 weeks in the jungle.  Last year Heritage Hills smacked GS bad and handed them a 31-7 loss. After the game, Coach Hart was very upset and said on the radio broadcast “whatever it takes, I’m going to find 11 kids who want to play titan football”. Heritage Hills has returned a ton of their team and are locked and loaded.  

GIbson Southern @ Heritage Hills is the game we need to talk about. And imo I would probably rank them 1A 1B in this ranking.  

I dont put much stock into Calpreps predictor after it said that 2019 SR is better than 2018 SR.  You lose Montgomery at QB, and lose Schank at RB and a few others, i'm not buying into it.  Now I love our Raiders, but lets be honest with ourselvesthe 17 and 18 teams were better....especially when its a 14 point difference.  Now I still think we have a heck of a team but just being honest with myself.

PROJECT A MATCHUP
neutral field
[2019] Southridge (Huntingburg, IN) 31, [2018] Southridge (Huntingburg, IN) 17

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I agree.  Arguing about "what-ifs" is pointless, but it certainly keeps people entertained...

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Wait...aren't you the guys that says feeder success doesn't matter?  Hopefully it doesn't matter with that 7th grade basketball team last year.

It doesn't.  It is all about fighting "specialization", fall baseball, travel soccer, and retaining the kids who come out.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sacked said:

I think it is pretty accurate for Boonville

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2018] Boonville (IN) 35, [2019] Boonville (IN) 13  :classic_laugh:

Something is jacked this year with Calpreps.

1 minute ago, tango said:

It doesn't.  It is all about fighting "specialization", fall baseball, travel soccer, and retaining the kids who come out.   

Just giving #9 a little back of what he dishes out.

12 minutes ago, tango said:

Completely agree!!!  Too many kids think they HAVE to commit to one sport instead of be competitive in two or three, and football is always the sport dropped "because it's too dangerous"!  I can tell you right now there a several, and I mean several kids that could, and should be playing football at HH and are not!!

Edited by Patriot 74
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Completely agree!!!  Too many kids think they HAVE to commit to one sport instead of be competitive in two or three, and football is always the sport dropped "because it's too dangerous"!  I can tell you right now there a several, and I mean several kids that could, and should be playing football at HH are not!!

Colson Montgomery - Southridge:

Arguably one of the best athletes/quarterbacks in the state. Lost him to Baseball and Basketball. One of the few athletes that is almost "Too Good" to play Football.

Edited by RoadRunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Never said they were having great success. Numbers are good with multiple sport athletes at all grade levels. Good size kids- as seen by the frosh listed on max preps with a 7th grade QB that can sling it. Nice 8th grade RB- son of Memorial great, Randall Baker. Reminds me very much of the 2017, 2018, and 19 classes. 

Couldn’t tell you the record of any of the feeder teams. I’d bet most Memorial feeder teams are around or below .500 most years. Then high school comes along and something just clicks when different age groups combine. Hard to argue the success across the board come tournament time.  But I’m biased. 

• Like 1