Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sagamore Conference 2019

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:06 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

WOW:   just got done watching (just watching, breakdown starts tomorrow)   of the Webo Western game.  Mercy.   what a game.   Western big 4th quarter, Soph QB made throws when it counted for panthers.   Webo Offense is wicked good.  

The Soph QB has a cannon... Though he threw the ball up 3-4 times and a Western Kid seemed to somehow always come down with it for a huge gain or a TD.  I am sure the coaching staff has reviewed the film and adjustments will be made.  It was good to play against a bigger school and someone unfamiliar it should help Webo prep for Conference as well as the playoffs. 

Was a tough loss, but an opportunity to get better and see how these kids respond to a Loss.  This week starts Conference play!

Last Week's results and This Weeks schedule of games.

Friday, Aug. 30
Logansport 35, Frankfort 12
Mooresville 27, Danville 20
North Montgomery 28, Hamilton Heights 14
North Putnam 28, Southmont 26
Plainfield 28, Tri-West 13
West Vigo 45, Crawfordsville 18
Western 42, Western Boone 41

Zionsville 47, Lebanon 33

Friday, Sep. 6
Crawfordsville at Western Boone ©, 7 pm
Lebanon at Danville ©, 7 pm
Southmont at North Montgomery ©, 7 pm
Tri-West at Frankfort ©, 7 pm

Week 3 results and a look ahead to Friday!  Big one between Webo & TW!

Friday, Sep. 6
Danville 21, Lebanon 14 ©
North Montgomery 30, Southmont 7 ©
Tri-West 62, Frankfort 6 ©
Western Boone 49, Crawfordsville 0 ©
Friday, Sep. 13
Danville at Crawfordsville ©, 7 pm
Frankfort at Southmont ©, 7 pm
North Montgomery at Lebanon ©, 7 pm
Tri-West at Western Boone ©, 7 pm

On 9/3/2019 at 7:13 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

The Soph QB has a cannon... Though he threw the ball up 3-4 times and a Western Kid seemed to somehow always come down with it for a huge gain or a TD.  I am sure the coaching staff has reviewed the film and adjustments will be made.  It was good to play against a bigger school and someone unfamiliar it should help Webo prep for Conference as well as the playoffs. 

Was a tough loss, but an opportunity to get better and see how these kids respond to a Loss.  This week starts Conference play!

#22 for Western was a very good athlete.   It was good for our guys to see them have success in pass game in week 2, helped them stay focused this past week on their Trip Flood package Western runs and of course the play action.   Western and RCHS both run a version of the Gun Single Wing, with slight variations of it respectfully.   We did a great job on the pass against them, held Western to 4-16 for 28 yards.  They had a couple of 10 yard outs they dropped, but we were right in position on their vertical games.  

Webo QB still is the TRUTH,  just saying :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

#22 for Western was a very good athlete.   It was good for our guys to see them have success in pass game in week 2, helped them stay focused this past week on their Trip Flood package Western runs and of course the play action.   Western and RCHS both run a version of the Gun Single Wing, with slight variations of it respectfully.   We did a great job on the pass against them, held Western to 4-16 for 28 yards.  They had a couple of 10 yard outs they dropped, but we were right in position on their vertical games.  

Webo QB still is the TRUTH,  just saying :classic_biggrin:

He's a better kid! 

• Like 1

Friday's results and Friday's lineup

Friday, Sep. 13
Danville 54, Crawfordsville 6 ©
Lebanon 35, North Montgomery 30 ©
Southmont 33, Frankfort 12 ©
Western Boone 27, Tri-West 13 ©
Friday, Sep. 20
Crawfordsville at Southmont ©, 7 pm
Danville at Tri-West ©, 7 pm
Lebanon at Frankfort ©, 7 pm
Western Boone at North Montgomery ©, 7 pm

On 8/13/2019 at 6:58 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

You sandbagging, bro?  LOL

Webo should be pretty solid, lost a lot in the receiving corp, yet I think the younger kids are starting to put it together with Wright. 

TW will be good with Robertson & Hendershot back. 

Lebanon has the young Harker slinging it...

And we don't make shirts until it happens... 🙂

As you called out, I think the receiving game is the biggest change I have seen for Webo to this point.  Wright had a number of options last year, Hole is the go-to guy this season.  Thankfully Wright can scramble with the best of them when he runs out of time in the pocket.  Looking at the stats, Webo has twice as many yards on the ground as compared to passing.  The offense in a nutshell appears to be the Wright/Wethington/Hole show.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out if things remain the same come tournament time.  

Another big change is seeing Wright on defense.  I knew that two platooning was unique to the team last year but I did not anticipate seeing Wright on the other side of the ball.  Obviously smaller programs will rely on their best athletes when needed, I just hope he stays healthy.  

in 2014, Our QB was an All State Level Corner Back.   We had other guys who were good to also play DB, but the drop off from QB to next guy was too great to risk playing him full time.  He played in exactly 4 games at DB that year.  West Lafayette, LCC times 2 and Mater Dei.    

Has Wright played Defense all year or just last week against a good Tri West squad?   Webo, could be just mixing him in on a need basis depending from week to week 

29 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

in 2014, Our QB was an All State Level Corner Back.   We had other guys who were good to also play DB, but the drop off from QB to next guy was too great to risk playing him full time.  He played in exactly 4 games at DB that year.  West Lafayette, LCC times 2 and Mater Dei.    

Has Wright played Defense all year or just last week against a good Tri West squad?   Webo, could be just mixing him in on a need basis depending from week to week 

1 hour ago, BigTimeDB said:

As you called out, I think the receiving game is the biggest change I have seen for Webo to this point.  Wright had a number of options last year, Hole is the go-to guy this season.  Thankfully Wright can scramble with the best of them when he runs out of time in the pocket.  Looking at the stats, Webo has twice as many yards on the ground as compared to passing.  The offense in a nutshell appears to be the Wright/Wethington/Hole show.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out if things remain the same come tournament time.  

Another big change is seeing Wright on defense.  I knew that two platooning was unique to the team last year but I did not anticipate seeing Wright on the other side of the ball.  Obviously smaller programs will rely on their best athletes when needed, I just hope he stays healthy.  

I seriously doubt Wright plays D all the time, I foresee something similar to what @Coach Nowlin described... He did sparingly against Western, he did the whole game against TW.  He was locked up 1:1 with Hendershot which is TW's biggest weapon.  I doubt he plays D this week, he probably won't have to against Frankfort or Southmont.  He may against Danville & Lebanon.  Who knows though.. 

I also wouldn't sleep on Garrity as a target.  He doesn't have the speed that Benson did, but he is a big target.

Edited by 1st_and_10
  • Like 2

Friday's results and this week's match ups... Lebanon/Tri-West is probably the best game of the week. 

Friday, Sep. 20
Lebanon 53, Frankfort 0 ©
Southmont 36, Crawfordsville 8 ©
Tri-West 27, Danville 26 ©
Western Boone 28, North Montgomery 14 ©
Friday, Sep. 27
Frankfort at Western Boone ©, 7 pm
Lebanon at Tri-West ©, 7 pm
North Montgomery at Crawfordsville ©, 7 pm
Southmont at Danville ©, 7 pm

Results and Friday's match ups.

Friday, Sep. 27
Danville 42, Southmont 0 ©
North Montgomery 42, Crawfordsville 6 ©
Tri-West 35, Lebanon 28 ©
Western Boone 56, Frankfort 0 ©
Friday, Oct. 4
Crawfordsville at Lebanon ©, 7 pm
Danville at Frankfort ©, 7 pm
Tri-West at North Montgomery ©, 7 pm
Western Boone at Southmont ©, 7 pm

SAGAMORE
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Western Boone 5-0 216 40 6-  1 298 88 Won 5
Tri-West 4-1 176 123 5-  2 211 158 Won 3
Danville 4-1 189 47 4-  3 226 101 Won 2
Lebanon 3-2 180 86 3-  4 227 187 Won 1
North Montgomery 2-3 152 115 3-  4 200 150 Lost 1
Southmont 2-3 89 148 3-  4 141 176 Lost 2
Crawfordsville 0-5 20 231 0-  7 44 310 Lost 8
Frankfort 0-5 18 250 0-  7 36 313 Lost 18
Friday, Oct. 4
Danville 46, Frankfort 0 ©
Lebanon 50, Crawfordsville 0 ©
Tri-West 39, North Montgomery 36 ©
Western Boone 56, Southmont 13 ©
Friday, Oct. 11
Crawfordsville at Tri-West ©, 7 pm
North Montgomery at Frankfort ©, 7 pm
Southmont at Lebanon ©, 7 pm
Western Boone at Danville ©, 7 pm
Friday, Oct. 18
Danville at North Montgomery ©, 7 pm
Frankfort at Crawfordsville ©, 7 pm
Lebanon at Western Boone ©, 7 pm
Tri-West at Southmont ©, 7 pm

Looks like Tri-West fans get to cheer for Danville for a change.  

Since this thread is kind of dead this year, I'll give a little Sagamore Conference trivia that I found interesting.

I believe every team in the history of the Sagamore Conference has won the football crown at least once.  However, 2 schools have never won it outright.  Can you name them?  

Also, every team in conference history has shared the title at least once except one.  All of their titles have been outright.  Can you name which one?

Anyone who knows this without looking it up has my sincere respect.  

24 minutes ago, XStar said:

Looks like Tri-West fans get to cheer for Danville for a change.  

Since this thread is kind of dead this year, I'll give a little Sagamore Conference trivia that I found interesting.

I believe every team in the history of the Sagamore Conference has won the football crown at least once.  However, 2 schools have never won it outright.  Can you name them?  

Also, every team in conference history has shared the title at least once except one.  All of their titles have been outright.  Can you name which one?

Anyone who knows this without looking it up has my sincere respect.  

I'll bite.... Frankfort and Lebanon-- Never won it outright...   North Montgomery has never shared it.

Complete guesses on my part.