Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Who is Indiana's most underrated HS Football Coach? It's ;

Guest DT

Mike Gillin.  Of course.

Gillin has done a spectacular job resurrecting the Mooresville program, which went deep into the crapper after the departure of Mark Bless.

Gillin has the Golden Touch.  All he does is win.  Look at this crazy coaching record.

https://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/files/coachwl.htm

323 wins.  128 losses.  Only thing to elude Gillin is a state championship.

Mooresville is 4-0 and could run the table if the stars align.

If I were running a big school program and was looking  for a quick turnaround, Mike Gillin would be my guy.

Wouldn't it be fun to see what he could do at a place like Ben Davis, with all that athletic talent. 

MOORESVILLE
PIONEERS
Coach: Mike Gillin, 18-11 in 3rd year at school, 323-128 in 41st year overall
DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 34.0, DA 12.0

Aug. 23   Lebanon 4A W 54 14    
Aug. 30 at Danville 3A W 27 20    
Sep. 6   Plainfield 5A © W 24 7    
Sep. 13 at Greenwood 4A © W 31 7    
Sep. 20   Decatur Central 5A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 27 at Franklin 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 4   Whiteland 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 11 at Martinsville 4A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18 at Perry Meridian 6A © 7:00 pm    
©MID-STATE CONFERENCE GAME

1 minute ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Eric Moore. Constantly gets his teams to compete with larger MIC schools that have twice the enrollment year in and year out. Just my opinion

Moore gets more than his fair share of attention and kudos.

Gillin flies under the radar.

Excellence personified.

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

If we are going to talk about coaches who beat schools twice their size I guess new pal hc should be mentioned . But him moore, gaddis aren't necessarily coaches that would fall into the underrated category. 

So they beat CG and all of a sudden every 3a school that they play is “double their size”? Interesting

2 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

If we are going to talk about coaches who beat schools twice their size I guess new pal hc should be mentioned . But him moore, gaddis aren't necessarily coaches that would fall into the underrated category. 

Agreed.... it’s just crazy to see what Ralph has done and so quickly. I would have thought 1-2 good years, but to stay at this level with this enrollment is shocking and speaks volumes to those kids believing in him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cg_holmeaid said:

So they beat CG and all of a sudden every 3a school that they play is “double their size”? Interesting

You are so bitter!  If we are getting into semantics, the only school that Center Grove plays that "has twice their enrollment" is Carmel.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 2

I'm going to go with Kurt Tippmann. You don't hear his name thrown out there much outside of northeast Indiana (at least I don't) but he's in season 11 as a head coach (all at Snider) and has a 110-24 record. Of all the current coaches out there that have coached 10+ years, only four have won 80% of their games or more (Tippmann, Reed May of Brownstown Central, Brian Moore of Parke Heritage, and Cory Yeoman of Penn). Tippmann's Snider Panthers are in the third toughest conference in the state and he's one of three head coaches that have knocked off a Kyle Ralph-led New Palestine squad. Add in a 2015 5A state title and he's at the top of my list. Hard to deny what he's done.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I'm going to go with Kurt Tippmann. You don't hear his name thrown out there much outside of northeast Indiana (at least I don't) but he's in season 11 as a head coach (all at Snider) and has a 110-24 record. Of all the current coaches out there that have coached 10+ years, only four have won 80% of their games or more (Tippmann, Reed May of Brownstown Central, Brian Moore of Parke Heritage, and Cory Yeoman of Penn). Tippmann's Snider Panthers are in the third toughest conference in the state and he's one of three head coaches that have knocked off a Kyle Ralph-led New Palestine squad. Add in a 2015 5A state title and he's at the top of my list. Hard to deny what he's done.

Excellent choice.  However, I would say that the stable was full when he took over the program.  Certainly not a rebuild.  He has maintained the Snider standard of excellence.  I chose Gillin primarily for his ability to execute a quick turnaround.  

Edited by DT

I’m watching Troy Burgess at little Frontier High in Chalmers. A perennial doormat, he has them at 4-0 and looking at least at a winning record this year, his first year. He coached at Evansville Central before he went small school. I find it interesting he downsized to this extreme but he looks to be having success so far.

9 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

4 Head Coaches!!!    Chris Meeks led North All Star team defeated Kyle Ralph led South All Star Team  Summer of 2015!!    :classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, BoomBoomMcGee said:

I’m watching Troy Burgess at little Frontier High in Chalmers. A perennial doormat, he has them at 4-0 and looking at least at a winning record this year, his first year. He coached at Evansville Central before he went small school. I find it interesting he downsized to this extreme but he looks to be having success so far.

AD/Transportation/HC of Frontier,  out of the classroom and there is some charm to coaching a small rural school compared to big city school in Evansville.    Lots go into decisions like this , most of them have nothing to do with actual football 

11 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

I agree about Mike Gillin but I’d also throw Phil Mason in the mix.  He won a state title at Andrean and has done a terrific job turning around the Michigan City program.

We always said City was a sleeping giant if they found a top-notch coach. Well, not only did they do that but Mason has surrounded himself with a great group of veteran assistants.