Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IFCA REGION 4 All Stars

25 minutes ago, LCKathleticsupporter said:

Tough break for Cass - 2 kids on Jr. All State team and senior O-lineman/D End  that could have started for any team we played. Yet not a single player here.  So coaching vendettas against other teams get in the way or were the players on a 4-6 Logansport, 5-6 Twin Lakes, or 6-6 Judson teams just that good?

First, you do realize this Region All-Star team is Seniors only, correct?  In addition, I would say typically, this type of situation for the Senior you mention is due to the Head Coach not nominating his players - can't get votes if they aren't nominated.

Edited by Coach-Ref_Kiser
  • Thanks 1

Just an observation that's all. There are senior players on the IFCA ALL STATE team who didn't make the region team. There are also players on the region squad that did not make the IFCA ALL State team. Would it make sense that if you are selected on an All STATE team, you would be good enough to make a region team? 

I will comment as a coach that was at the meeting.  The Cass athlete was nominated by his coaches.  There are a healthy amount of good players in our region.  The particular player did not necessarily stack up in the measurables as well as the other players.  He was a kid that got better all season.  He was an average player at the beginning of the season and made himself into a better than average player by the end.  He received IFCA All State, AP All State, Kokomo Tribune, and All Logan Land. He was also Academic All State and Team Captain.  Not a bad senior year.  Region All Star would have put the cherry on top for his season.  

There were some teams with lesser records that got kids on.  It does not mean that they were any less deserving.  I cannot try to reason how a 6-4 team gets 3 guys on and a 7-5 none.  It sometimes comes down to the number of kids nominated in a position group.  

I will also add that this is the first year in 2 years that any Cass coaches went to the meeting.  There have been conflicts and miss communication at times that have prevented in coaches attending.  This may not sit well with some coaches.  I don't know.  But there is a responsibility that comes with coaching, and representing your team when you have kids to nominate and when you don't is one of those.  

I will say it was disappointing, but it does not define this kid.  I talked with him last night, and he was good with it.  Like I said, it was going to be the cherry on top.  Nothing more.

Coach Shaffer

Lewis Cass Assistant

Father of the player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, LCKathleticsupporter said:

Tough break for Cass - 2 kids on Jr. All State team and senior O-lineman/D End  that could have started for any team we played. Yet not a single player here.  So coaching vendettas against other teams get in the way or were the players on a 4-6 Logansport, 5-6 Twin Lakes, or 6-6 Judson teams just that good?

You listed Logansport, Twin Lakes, and North Judson. None of these teams had a player selected over yours at his position. So what is the point of mentioning them?

45 minutes ago, LCKathleticsupporter said:

Just an observation that's all. There are senior players on the IFCA ALL STATE team who didn't make the region team. There are also players on the region squad that did not make the IFCA ALL State team. Would it make sense that if you are selected on an All STATE team, you would be good enough to make a region team? 

I think in the fact All-State teams are selected by class, and the Region has No Class. It is all encompassing. So I do understand what your saying, I do not think that argument holds much water.

I have been going to this meeting for longer than these kids we are voting on have been alive. I have had some very deserving kids and managers who did not make this team. It does not take away from their success and accomplishments. He is a heck of a football player I am sure. You do not get those type of accolades if you are not. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, Punttheball said:

I will comment as a coach that was at the meeting.  The Cass athlete was nominated by his coaches.  There are a healthy amount of good players in our region.  The particular player did not necessarily stack up in the measurables as well as the other players.  He was a kid that got better all season.  He was an average player at the beginning of the season and made himself into a better than average player by the end.  He received IFCA All State, AP All State, Kokomo Tribune, and All Logan Land. He was also Academic All State and Team Captain.  Not a bad senior year.  Region All Star would have put the cherry on top for his season.  

There were some teams with lesser records that got kids on.  It does not mean that they were any less deserving.  I cannot try to reason how a 6-4 team gets 3 guys on and a 7-5 none.  It sometimes comes down to the number of kids nominated in a position group.  

I will also add that this is the first year in 2 years that any Cass coaches went to the meeting.  There have been conflicts and miss communication at times that have prevented in coaches attending.  This may not sit well with some coaches.  I don't know.  But there is a responsibility that comes with coaching, and representing your team when you have kids to nominate and when you don't is one of those.  

I will say it was disappointing, but it does not define this kid.  I talked with him last night, and he was good with it.  Like I said, it was going to be the cherry on top.  Nothing more.

Coach Shaffer

Lewis Cass Assistant

Father of the player

Class as always Sir!!    

On 1/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, CoachDurham said:

You listed Logansport, Twin Lakes, and North Judson. None of these teams had a player selected over yours at his position. So what is the point of mentioning them?

I think in the fact All-State teams are selected by class, and the Region has No Class. It is all encompassing. So I do understand what your saying, I do not think that argument holds much water.

I have been going to this meeting for longer than these kids we are voting on have been alive. I have had some very deserving kids and managers who did not make this team. It does not take away from their success and accomplishments. He is a heck of a football player I am sure. You do not get those type of accolades if you are not. 

This guy knows a thing or two