Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blindside Block

JQWL

Question

Curious on the interpretation on this one. Passing situation. Our WR's are running routes downfield. QB scrambles and it 10 yards or so downfield. WR's turn to block while defenders are pursuing. The defender is squared up with the WR. They are running at each other but defender has his head turned inside toward the QB. Once contact is made, blindside block is called. I thought blindside block is more of a block from the side, where the defender cannot see the block coming. The defender could have seen the block coming but wasn't looking where he was running. Am I wrong?

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

Curious on the interpretation on this one. Passing situation. Our WR's are running routes downfield. QB scrambles and it 10 yards or so downfield. WR's turn to block while defenders are pursuing. The defender is squared up with the WR. They are running at each other but defender has his head turned inside toward the QB. Once contact is made, blindside block is called. I thought blindside block is more of a block from the side, where the defender cannot see the block coming. The defender could have seen the block coming but wasn't looking where he was running. Am I wrong?

If the block was initiated with the shoulder, it is likely going to be called a blindside every time.  If they use the hands/arms extended, it gives them a bit of leeway.  

The key is where the focus of the defender is. If they are squared up but the defender is looking to the side he's not going to see the blocker. 99% of the time the blocker knows this which is why he likes to blow them up. If the defender doesn't see the block coming, it doesn't take much contact to take him out of the play. Lead with your hands and you should be fine. I can't comment on this particular play because without video it would just be speculation.

That makes sense. Really tough for a blocker. Everything happens fast. This is something I think on a kick return or an interception return is easier to control than a broken play. When the play occurred and the flag was thrown, I really thought if the wide receiver had tried to control him with his hands, he probably hurts himself in the process.

As someone who i has been knocked down in the middle many times from a light bump in the side when I didn't expect the hit I can tell you it doesn't take much contact to knock someone off balance if they don't see the contact coming. I've seen many examples of players who use their hands or legally do a shield block and they are just as effective but much less dangerous. And this was even before the BSB rule came into the rules. Most blind side blocks the blocker lines up the defender from a distance and seeks him out. It's usually not a split second decision.

Most of the time on these plays, you don't even need forcible contact to get the job done. Simply "shielding" the defender from the runner is sufficient. I know that goes against the grain of the way we were all taught. But the times, they are a changing.' Need to change with them.

• Like 1