Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Success Factor Longer Than 2 Years?

Thoughts on programs that get bumped to 5A or 6A having to stay longer than two years? Clearly, these are programs which can likely compete at the higher class. 

In the lower classes, I believe it's more likely to have that once in a generation player or class that can lead to the bump and penalize the freshmen and sophomores. 

3 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Thoughts on programs that get bumped to 5A or 6A having to stay longer than two years? Clearly, these are programs which can likely compete at the higher class. 

In the lower classes, I believe it's more likely to have that once in a generation player or class that can lead to the bump and penalize the freshmen and sophomores. 

I said when it started it should be a 4 year not 2 year cycle.  1 good class could give you an aberration that gives you enough points to move up.  Then that class graduates and you've got no chance in a larger class for 2 years.The point is to equal the playing field for programs that prove the consistently play above their class

• Thanks 1

Since you brought it up, I’ll put in my 2 cents. The elephant that no one wants to talk about is it was put in for parochial/private schools that were dominating year after year. The converse has happened where you are penalizing public schools for having a “good run” and a good program. Sure, we’ve had back to back State appreances, but our Stud QB decided football wasn’t worth it. A school we play, Linton, would have been playing in LOS last year if not for the success factor. The IHSSA is taking that opportunity away from those kids...they only get ONE chance to do this and because a class or 2 has success before them, they don’t get that chance. I think it’s wrong and cowardly by the IHSSA...they just won’t call a spade a spade 

• Thanks 1

Generally if a team drops back so far they wouldn't be competitive in the class above them, they likely aren't going to contend for a championship at their current level. Especially at anything below 5A there isn't a huge difference from the top of 1 class to the top of another class. It also depends entirely on the sectional they are assigned. The same team could win the sectional of the class above them but struggle to win their sectional just based on the other teams in their region. I think the success factor has been largely successful in mixing up the teams in each class and isn't public/private specific.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I basically agree.

Re: the lower classes, what you said is basically true. However, I believe in Linton's case, the bump to 2A has been a good move for the program. The kids and the coaches are learning what it takes to compete at a higher level.

Of course, a slight bump in enrollment has kept Linton in 2A. No matter, they beefed up the schedule knowing they'd have to play better teams to prepare for the postseason.

But you're right, that "once in a generation" player or class can make it tough for the underclassmen to follow up on.

8 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

I said when it started it should be a 4 year not 2 year cycle.  1 good class could give you an aberration that gives you enough points to move up.  Then that class graduates and you've got no chance in a larger class for 2 years.The point is to equal the playing field for programs that prove the consistently play above their class

I too was in favor of a 4 year as opposed to a 2 year cycle. Gives a program time to "get up to speed" so to speak...

We all know who the programs are who consistently play above their class (and it isn't just the privates and parochials, in case anyone was wondering)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jets said:

Since you brought it up, I’ll put in my 2 cents. The elephant that no one wants to talk about is it was put in for parochial/private schools that were dominating year after year. The converse has happened where you are penalizing public schools for having a “good run” and a good program. Sure, we’ve had back to back State appreances, but our Stud QB decided football wasn’t worth it. A school we play, Linton, would have been playing in LOS last year if not for the success factor. The IHSSA is taking that opportunity away from those kids...they only get ONE chance to do this and because a class or 2 has success before them, they don’t get that chance. I think it’s wrong and cowardly by the IHSSA...they just won’t call a spade a spade 

Wow, great post on multiple levels!

Yes, there was the elephant in the room, all those years when 7 of the final 8 in 1A thru 4A were private/parochial...and the converse you mentioned has happened too...not just in football; basketball also...

Flip side though - I agree, Linton might well have been playing at LOS last year but for the success factor...and folks around Linton would have been proclaiming it as one of the greatest teams Linton has ever had...when we now know otherwise....I mean Southridge and Sullivan both outscored Linton by four touchdowns last year.

As far as the IHSAA taking away the opportunity away from those kids, well, Linton's roster was over 90% underclassmen last year. So those kids have a chance this year. In 2A.

It's a tough call. Some small schools are in fact penalized by the "success factor" for having a "good run." Others, who are perennially good programs probably would be OK playing in a higher class anyway.

But I do agree with you on the IHSAA's reluctance to "call a spade a spade" as you said.