Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern 4-1 at Heritage Hills 5-0

I’m not sure what to take away from this game 

GS definitely figured something out in the second half and got the offense going.  But it was completely too little too late. 

turnovers also killed the titans. 2 INTs because of tipped passes....one right of the receivers hands.  Add in a fumble off of a catch. i feel like GS was in a position to make it a ball game. But turnovers on back to back drives and surrendering a score off the second killed any hope of that. 

defense figured out a little bit in the second half enough to make a number of good stops but that faded into the 4th once the game was truly over. 

hats off to HH on the game. They came ready to play. Their defense is as good as advertised that’s for sure. They had a gameplan and simply just executed it to near perfection and a whopping 400+ yards or rushing. 

I think these teams are a lot closer than the score indicates and the 300 yards in the second half for GS certainly suggest that. But simply put HH came to play and came to win. GS took 2 quarters to get off the bus and even then we’re making mistakes. 

lots to learn from 

Just now, D3dream said:

I didn't see your post. Weird timing. I'm not looking to sling mud, but I'd dread having to listen to them on the radio constantly. Just not my cup of tea. 

Honestly I have been thinking similar recently. There is a....certain aggressiveness...to the way Bob calls the game. I live out of state so it’s hard for me to really find another way to follow live.

there was one moment tonight that really caught me though on the broadcast. Aside from the usual hate for officials and officiating from the booth, I particularly didn’t think it was of good taste for Bob to scream “THROW THE BALL” after the 4th and goal play where Brady Allen was sacked.  This was a later play, the one with the DPI and the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.  To me at least, this moment was of really bad taste and i don’t care what others think but a broadcaster should never be yelling at a player.  They may not hear it but all but the fans who just want to hear the game do.  

bad plays happen...losses happen. Players doing things other than what the spectator wants WILL happen...but yelling at a player over a broadcast shouldn’t happen. Ever. 

that’s just my two cents. 

• Like 3

Afterthoughts:

HH line played very well on both sides of the ball.

Everyone knew GS Can sling it and HH kept them in check through 3 qtrs.

would never thought a running clock would be initiated in this , albeit late into the 4th qtr.

HH did what absolutely had to do and that was eat the clock up with a punishing ground game.

This game is done. Last year is still fresh in my mind when HH beat GS 31-7 at GS then in the tourney was 14-14 with 6 minutes to go in 4th and lost 24-14. 

Will be interesting 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PAC FAN said:

Afterthoughts:

HH line played very well on both sides of the ball.

Everyone knew GS Can sling it and HH kept them in check through 3 qtrs.

would never thought a running clock would be initiated in this , albeit late into the 4th qtr.

HH did what absolutely had to do and that was eat the clock up with a punishing ground game.

This game is done. Last year is still fresh in my mind when HH beat GS 31-7 at GS then in the tourney was 14-14 with 6 minutes to go in 4th and lost 24-14. 

Will be interesting 

Forgot to add HH zero turnovers to GS 3

big factor in game

2 hours ago, PAC FAN said:

Forgot to add HH zero turnovers to GS 3

big factor in game

Pretty sure Gibson Southern had 4 turnovers, 3 interceptions and a fumble. If you look at the stats at the top it lists 2 interceptions and a fumble but in individual defense it lists 3 different Patriots with a pick.

hhgs.JPG

Edited by DaveMosbey

After Gibson had that goal line stand at the end of the first half I was worried even though it was 21-0, I was telling people around me big difference in 21-0 and 28-0 especially with the Titans having the ball to start the 2nd half.

I thought our secondary played very well considering Brady Allen seemed to have all day to pass.

5 hours ago, DaveMosbey said:

Pretty sure Gibson Southern had 4 turnovers, 3 interceptions and a fumble. If you look at the stats at the top it lists 2 interceptions and a fumble but in individual defense it lists 3 different Patriots with a pick.

hhgs.JPG

You’re right. Sigler, Doyle & Mundy all had picks.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m not sure what to take away from this game 

lots to learn from 

I expected HH to win, but not by 35, so this game certainly raised some eyebrows.  All in all, getting humbled in what was their biggest game of the year might be exactly what GS needed.  Taking FP, NP, PCHS and SS to the woodshed certainly doesn't mean much.  Maybe the 8 point loss to 6A Southport wasn't all it was hyped up to be.  I expect GS will use this game to get re-focused and be a better team when the rematch rolls around.  My take would be that GS has a lot of work to do if they want to get out of Sectional 32 and make a run.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tango said:

I expected HH to win, but not by 35, so this game certainly raised some eyebrows.  All in all, getting humbled in what was their biggest game of the year might be exactly what GS needed.  Taking FP, NP, PCHS and SS to the woodshed certainly doesn't mean much.  Maybe the 8 point loss to 6A Southport wasn't all it was hyped up to be.  I expect GS will use this game to get re-focused and be a better team when the rematch rolls around.  My take would be that GS has a lot of work to do if they want to get out of Sectional 32 and make a run.  

They certainly had a chance to bring it to 21-28 in the 3rd quarter.  But you just can’t turn the ball over like they did against a good team like HH.  

that and you have to be able to stop the run. 

I don’t have a vote in the All PAC voting but I think it’s pretty clear that Sigler is the MVP of the PAC.  He is the best player on the field.  It doesn’t matter if he is on offense, defense, or special teams.....in many ways, he reminds me of Kenton Crews...just perhaps even more versatile 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

They certainly had a chance to bring it to 21-28 in the 3rd quarter.  But you just can’t turn the ball over like they did against a good team like HH.  

that and you have to be able to stop the run. 

I don’t have a vote in the All PAC voting but I think it’s pretty clear that Sigler is the MVP of the PAC.  He is the best player on the field.  It doesn’t matter if he is on offense, defense, or special teams.....in many ways, he reminds me of Kenton Crews...just perhaps even more versatile 

Heritage Hills is very difficult to stop.  Through six games there are five different rushers with over 225+ yards on the season, and no one has carried the ball over 55 times.  Think about that: a team averaging 43+ points a game and no one player averages double digits in carries.  Very balanced, very tough team.

GS is a VERY good team, and will no doubt get going  They had a few drops and miscues, but give HH their due, the first half was a clinic.  

Sigler definitely looked fast!!!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tiger391 said:

I do believe GS will figure out the issues and continue to get better. HH running game is tough to stop. Sigler is a STUD. I still like Bosse in Sectional 32. 

Well if you like Bosse in Sectional 32, I have some ocean front property in Spencer county that I'd sell you!!!  Oh and I also have pictures of Sasquatch from my trail cameras I'd be willing to part with too.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:39 AM, tango said:

I expect GS to be huge in sectional.  The Southport game....I wouldn't have put too much stock in that either way.  Chatard beat them like a red headed stepchild.  

Sectional 32 will be brutal all around.  Whoever comes out will likely meet the winner of 28 at LOS.

4 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

Well if you like Bosse in Sectional 32, I have some ocean front property in Spencer county that I'd sell you!!!  Oh and I also have pictures of Sasquatch from my trail cameras I'd be willing to part with too.

Bosse could surprise some people.  They did it last year to Boonville and just ran out of gas.  They are a much better team this year than last year.  I'm not saying they can win 32, but they could make some noise. 

3 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

I expect GS to be huge in sectional.  The Southport game....I wouldn't have put too much stock in that either way.  Chatard beat them like a red headed stepchild.  

Sectional 32 will be brutal all around.  Whoever comes out will likely meet the winner of 28 at LOS.

To be clear Southport is really unknown with its matchup with chatard. Chatard fans here on the board even have said after the game they don’t know what to think about it because Southport was without their QB and DT due to injury and there were 2 other players on defense who missed that game due to being ejected during the GS game. 

for all we know, Heritage Hills may be the top 3A team and Chatard had a looks good on paper game. Chatard probably would have won against Southport either way, especially considering how they played cathedral, but I wouldn’t draw any real conclusions about the Chatard vs Southport game. Chatard fans themselves are not too sure what to make of that game.

23 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

32 is gonna be a good sectional. Lots of good teams with

20 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

Could not agree more. Only Marian in sectional 26 is one team that I am not overly familiar with, but they appear to be having a great season. Even with that said, the odds are overwhelming that 28 meets 32 at LOS

16 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

To be clear Southport is really unknown with its matchup with chatard. Chatard fans here on the board even have said after the game they don’t know what to think about it because Southport was without their QB and DT due to injury and there were 2 other players on defense who missed that game due to being ejected during the GS game. 

for all we know, Heritage Hills may be the top 3A team and Chatard had a looks good on paper game. Chatard probably would have won against Southport either way, especially considering how they played cathedral, but I wouldn’t draw any real conclusions about the Chatard vs Southport game. Chatard fans themselves are not too sure what to make of that game.

I would say that you are correct about putting too much on the Chatard vs. Southport game. However, the rest of the season suggests Chatard is playing as good as anyone in 3A. It would be a tough argument to suggest otherwise, but that's why we have this forum - to hash it all out before the playoffs!

Just now, Trojan88 said:

I would say that you are correct about putting too much on the Chatard vs. Southport game. However, the rest of the season suggests Chatard is playing as good as anyone in 3A. It would be a tough argument to suggest otherwise, but that's why we have this forum - to hash it all out before the playoffs!

I don't know how much stock to put into either the GS or Chatard games with Southport.  I don't know much about Southport, but the teams they've beaten aren't setting the HS football world on fire.  Granted, losing a QB is always tough, but I would also think that a 6A school would be able to absorb the loss of a couple players much easier than a 2A-4A school.   When I watched the GS v. Southport game, I wasn't overly impressed with the numbers and expected a 6A school with 2,000+ students to have a few more bodies on the sideline.  As one of (if not the most) the more objective GS posters said in the week leading up to the Southport game, it was a win-win game for GS.   Win and they beat a 6A, lose and they lost to a 6A.  Heritage Hills' D looked better than Southport to me (especially the secondary players). 

On 9/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, GS Titan 78 said:

Without getting into specifics, how banged up were HH and GS. How many Titans played two ways compared to Patriots. 

On the HH secondary, I think some people forget how good of an all-around athlete Sigler was at IU. HH is finally starting to get another round of legacy athletes. I expect a drop over the next few years, but once some of the 1990s and 2000s players have children, they will have some strong runs. 

I think the same is true at Jasper in football and Southridge. Good thing the HH school system brought in Mr Sherry when they did. Sam playing at Southridge would make them a scary good 2A basketball team this year. 

2 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Without getting into specifics, how banged up were HH and GS. How many Titans played two ways compared to Patriots. 

On the HH secondary, I think some people forget how good of an all-around athlete Sigler was at IU. HH is finally starting to get another round of legacy athletes. I expect a drop over the next few years, but once some of the 1990s and 2000s players have children, they will have some strong runs. 

I think the same is true at Jasper in football and Southridge. Good thing the HH school system brought in Mr Sherry when they did. Sam playing at Southridge would make them a scary good 2A basketball team this year. 

Simon... but whose counting...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Simon... but whose counting...

Yes, you're correct. I had the privilege of being a football player when North Spencer hired Mr Scherry. Coach Clayton "supervised" us during a "conditioning session" that unpacking the Scherry family's things from the box truck. Then after my first college stint, I got to learn a lot about coaching and basketball as a grade school assistant under Coach Scherry. Then Simon was too young, but I referreed some of Simon's games in elementary school. Simon may set some basketball records at HH, but Dan has the assist records at Memorial Gym, I believe. He's wirey! 

• Like 1