Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern 4-1 at Heritage Hills 5-0

2 hours ago, tango said:

I don't know how much stock to put into either the GS or Chatard games with Southport.  I don't know much about Southport, but the teams they've beaten aren't setting the HS football world on fire.  Granted, losing a QB is always tough, but I would also think that a 6A school would be able to absorb the loss of a couple players much easier than a 2A-4A school.   When I watched the GS v. Southport game, I wasn't overly impressed with the numbers and expected a 6A school with 2,000+ students to have a few more bodies on the sideline.  As one of (if not the most) the more objective GS posters said in the week leading up to the Southport game, it was a win-win game for GS.   Win and they beat a 6A, lose and they lost to a 6A.  Heritage Hills' D looked better than Southport to me (especially the secondary players). 

Styles make fights.  There were some tremendous athletes in that Southport secondary.  Keep in mind Allen had 207 yards passing and I am sure he is a little frustrated about 5 or so drops.

36 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Without getting into specifics, how banged up were HH and GS. How many Titans played two ways compared to Patriots. 

On the HH secondary, I think some people forget how good of an all-around athlete Sigler was at IU. HH is finally starting to get another round of legacy athletes. I expect a drop over the next few years, but once some of the 1990s and 2000s players have children, they will have some strong runs. 

I think the same is true at Jasper in football and Southridge. Good thing the HH school system brought in Mr Sherry when they did. Sam playing at Southridge would make them a scary good 2A basketball team this year. 

HH has 9 two way players.  GS had at least a couple in and out on D/O lines.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Yes, you're correct. I had the privilege of being a football player when North Spencer hired Mr Scherry. Coach Clayton "supervised" us during a "conditioning session" that unpacking the Scherry family's things from the box truck. Then after my first college stint, I got to learn a lot about coaching and basketball as a grade school assistant under Coach Scherry. Then Simon was too young, but I referreed some of Simon's games in elementary school. Simon may set some basketball records at HH, but Dan has the assist records at Memorial Gym, I believe. He's wirey! 

I was lucky to have Mr. Scherry as an adviser in Middle school. and an Asst. Principle in high school. I remember him telling us when his was born. Great guy and still one of my favorite teachers of all time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Without getting into specifics, how banged up were HH and GS. How many Titans played two ways compared to Patriots. 

On the HH secondary, I think some people forget how good of an all-around athlete Sigler was at IU. HH is finally starting to get another round of legacy athletes. I expect a drop over the next few years, but once some of the 1990s and 2000s players have children, they will have some strong runs. 

I think the same is true at Jasper in football and Southridge. Good thing the HH school system brought in Mr Sherry when they did. Sam playing at Southridge would make them a scary good 2A basketball team this year. 

Expect more great things to come in about 5 years.  I coach 5/6 grade and have Jade Winchell's kid on my team.  He is doing things as a 5th grader that can't be taught.  Also, (not on my team)there is Jon Goldsberry's kid.  I think his dad taught him his stiff arm--he is vicious.   I have never seen a 6th grader run like him.  Chip off the old block.  Right now 5th - 7th grade is loaded with talent.   There is a Kress in that bunch too.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

HH had a major 2-way impact player go down for most of the 2nd half of the GS game.  Also, missed all of the 2nd half of the Jasper game.  Other guys stepped up when they had to to get the Ws.  

Supposedly, that was just a cramp in the GS game.  Looked like to me it was more than that.  JW is good to go as far as I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Never understood why GS doesn’t play more kids both ways, especially skilled position players.

It’s pretty much how Coach Hart has done it his entire tenure so far. There are definitely exception. I think mostly, it’s a numbers thing.  There are 90 kids 9-12 on the team this year.

in the past...I wanna say Griffin Scheller was probably the most notable player to play both ways. Dominant DB and could go all the way to the house on offense whether he was carrying the ball or receiving it.  

I would tend to think this year GS is playing more kids both ways than they typically do. At least in a situational standpoint.  Seth Delong has played CB some this year even though he is the leading WR. Caleb Sellers has been playing LB and TE.  

All in All I think it just comes down to scheme. HH likes to wind the clock down and then hike the ball.  Rinse repeat. If they have the players who can play both ways (which they obviously do) it makes perfect sense. For GS running the up tempo, it’s probably not ideal to run a play every 9/10 seconds and then have the same kid play defense.  All about fresh bodies