Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Top 15 Regardless of Class (Mid-Season)

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Im telling you know, there is not a team in LCC sectional or regional that can hang with them, unless its a crazy weather night and they cannot get the run game going, even at that, that is a uphill battle.   Does LCC have the OMG D1 kids right now, nope, but they do have a roster full of very good football players, playing in year 2 of the current system and playing very hard with skill at all positions.   Even if they do not win this weekend at Rensselaer, LCC is destined to be playing at Semi State game based on who else is in the sectional/regional rounds.  

According to the Predict a Matchup tool that @hhpatriot04 has pinned, our friend @Staxawax found that Adams Central is indeed a 2 point favorite over Homestead:   BOOM!!!  BABY!!!   :classic_laugh:

I'll take Trader's Point Christian in section #42.  5-0 baby! 

And don't discount the Clinton Central Bulldogs. If they face the Knights it could be 2007 all over again.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Im telling you know, there is not a team in LCC sectional or regional that can hang with them, unless its a crazy weather night and they cannot get the run game going, even at that, that is a uphill battle.   Does LCC have the OMG D1 kids right now, nope, but they do have a roster full of very good football players, playing in year 2 of the current system and playing very hard with skill at all positions.   Even if they do not win this weekend at Rensselaer, LCC is destined to be playing at Semi State game based on who else is in the sectional/regional rounds.  

According to the Predict a Matchup tool that @hhpatriot04 has pinned, our friend @Staxawax found that Adams Central is indeed a 2 point favorite over Homestead:   BOOM!!!  BABY!!!   :classic_laugh:

I agree with that. LCC wins their sectional and regional with no challenge probably. But I don’t know if they win semi state. The 10 point win over Tipton was one that I expected to be a wider margin. 1a across the state has many possible teams that could compete at state which is nice when the last few years have been dominated by certain teams

Pound for pound means chatard is better for a school of however many kids there is, than Warren, Carmel, are for schools of their size, nothing more, nothing less. It's an irrelevant way of looking at things, and tbh I think does a disservice to chatard, as this year I think they could outright just claim to be better than a few of the mega schools.

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

LCC's a tough one to figure out using some of the transitive kinds of comparisons that are often done.  Since the move to the Hoosier Conference, LCC has ended up being in a situation where very few direct or even transitive comparisons can be made given their playlist.  LCC will not play a 1A team until the tourney and that tends to be the way it has been.  There are also very few transitive comparisons too as most of the teams that LCC plays in the HC won't play 1A teams during their seasons ... the exception typically being Cass out of the HC East, who typically has played Pioneer as part of their regular schedule, but even then it's only every few years that LCC will play Cass as part of the crossover side of the conference.  LCC's standard West competition is West Lafayette, currently ranked top 5 in 3A, RCHS, currently ranked top 10 in 2A, Twin Lakes and Benton Central in 3A.  Their add-on schedule was Guerin, ranked top 10 3A,  and TriWest in 3A.  They also had a nice showing against Tipton who lost to 2A #1, Cass, 28-7.  This week's game at RCHS will probably tell a lot more about how seriously coming out of north 1A would be for the Knights.

LCC's been in a building phase for the past three seasons, with two coaches and an interim coach in that time, but there's a gel that's starting to form under Nay's leadership that's getting the Knights back to increased competitiveness.  With Pioneer now up in 2A, potentially LCC has a realistic shot at getting to semi-state and, should they get to that level, the odds increase more of getting back to LOS.  Again, I think a lot rides on how LCC plays RCHS this Friday.  

No one in the pick em gives em a prayer of grounding the bombers this week.... including Alum.... lol

maybe LCC wins 2-0?  :classic_biggrin:

I promise you this, LCC has the Bombers attention, this is absolutely fact.  

Our players are well schooled to know the teams they are playing and competing with.  They saw TW score, We have Guerin tape and breakdown from boxscore.   Everyone gets the WL medicine these days, and Tipton is a valid program and they won without much doubt, score being 21-0 at one point that game last week.   

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

No one in the pick em gives em a prayer of grounding the bombers this week.... including Alum.... lol

Possibly, but you don't have to win to have a good showing and that's more of what I'll be looking at to gauge how deep a post-season run may be.

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Our players are well schooled to know the teams they are playing and competing with.  They saw TW score, We have Guerin tape and breakdown from boxscore.   Everyone gets the WL medicine these days, and Tipton is a valid program and they won without much doubt, score being 21-0 at one point that game last week.   

I would expect u would Nolins.. 🤭    expect a good game... like foxy says. .. its a pivitol one... for many reasons ... not sure if the knights will b ready when they hit ss.... but am sure with this 3rd stint in the HC...they r much less likly to b upset in sec regional this yr....

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

.......also put in the Center Grove band........ turns out they would lose to South Adams by 3 but beat Homestead by 21.  But, the Homestead band beats the Center Grove band by 4!

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Thanks for the plug of TGD Predictor Tool.

There are some recent case samples of Linton and North Knox beating Boonville. Boonville was the Big 8 champ last year and "looks like" a 4A roster. Linton and NK exploited execution problems.

The problem isn't with a good 2A or 3A school (with a good line) matching 11 vs 11. It's an attrition problem. Even in 3A, you are really only playing 18-24 players multiple ways. Give me Mater Dei 2001 or Chatard 2003 against any 6A school since if I can split the quarters played separated by a week or two days...

It's the 18 vs. 44 players (attrition) that is the issue. I think 7-on-7s have proven that small school position players can match up with bigger schools, especially if you mix in a few D1 recruits and 3-4 DII/III/NAIA recruits at key positions.

OK, I'm ready to wear the crazy hat for the next week.

On 9/24/2019 at 3:23 PM, Footballking16 said:

Pains me to do it but I think you guys have a great team and probably were the better team even in defeat a few weeks ago. Outside a blown coverage on 3rd and 22 that resulted in an 88 yard TD pass and then another long run late to seal the game (2 plays accounted for more than half of Cathedral's output for the game), you guys dominated the LOS despite being outweighed 40-50 lbs a man. Was the only time this year I've seen Cathedral struggle to move the ball and that's with playing X and Elder on the road where the Irish moved the ball at will. 

I am going to have to disagree with this.... I do not think they were the better team. Regardless of which team has more talent, these rivalry games will always be close. The game should have been worse considering we have 3 trips to 7 yards or closer that we failed and only got 3 points out of it. Props to chatard for playing hard and giving cathedral a great game. As far as the LOS their DOL was better that night than our OOL but our DOL was better than their OOL. It went both ways. Chatard threw the ball on Cathedral all night which surprised me considering they have a great secondary. Chatard QB and WR are both pretty good. I do not see anyone beating Chatard in 3A.

17 minutes ago, blueandgold2389 said:

I am going to have to disagree with this.... I do not think they were the better team. Regardless of which team has more talent, these rivalry games will always be close. The game should have been worse considering we have 3 trips to 7 yards or closer that we failed and only got 3 points out of it. Props to chatard for playing hard and giving cathedral a great game. As far as the LOS their DOL was better that night than our OOL but our DOL was better than their OOL. It went both ways. Chatard threw the ball on Cathedral all night which surprised me considering they have a great secondary. Chatard QB and WR are both pretty good. I do not see anyone beating Chatard in 3A.

People said that about Chatard in 2004. Four D1 recruits. Dray Mason breaks his collarbone early in the game and they lose to HH by a field goal. We are talking about 15-19 year olds ... anything can happen. (No, I don't wish injury on anyone. I want to see the Sectional 32 champion beat Chatard at Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blueandgold2389 said:

So much to say, but so little that matters.

Irish won.

Chatard OL is very good as I do not believe they have given up a sack all year, including that night. Now, some of that is due to scheme and a mobile qb, but the OL is doing a fantastic job.

Chatard and you will be tough outs. Lots of other quality teams (i.e. New Pal who I think will win 5A, and quite easily, W. Lafayette, GS, Braves, Guerin, Heritage Hills, etc) will have a lot to say about that, and rightfully so.

Tough to buy into your "game should have been worse" comment. Your examples of red zone plays are fine, but a fumble and blown coverage plays could swing the argument the other way toward a Chatard win, but, again, it does not really matter. Irish won.

Anyway, I still like the "pound for pound" conversation though :classic_laugh:

24 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

People said that about Chatard in 2004. Four D1 recruits. Dray Mason breaks his collarbone early in the game and they lose to HH by a field goal. We are talking about 15-19 year olds ... anything can happen. (No, I don't wish injury on anyone. I want to see the Sectional 32 champion beat Chatard at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Agree with it all except for I want sectional 28 champ (hopefully chatard) to beat the sectional 32 champ....Mish Marian is lurking as well:)

On 9/25/2019 at 6:27 AM, FastpacedO said:

I fail to see the comparison of this to @Footballking16 statement.

New Pal enrollment 1,175 Roster 65 / Cathedral enrollment 1,099 Roster 85 (pretty similar in enrollment and roster)

Avon enrollment 3,095 Roster 79 / Chatard enrollment 714 Roster 81 (similar in roster big difference in enrollment)

There are likely very gifted athletes in the halls of Avon that don't play football, they may not play football because they have no interest to play football and prefer focusing on another sport: Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, etc. Honestly who knows.

There are definitely good athletes at Avon that have chosen for whatever reason not to continue to play football after rec league, Jr Orioles, middle school, freshman football, whatever experience they may have had as a younger kid.  Many of them do participate in other sports, and have dedicated themselves to that particular sport, since it is a large school and it takes darned near a full time commitment to play varsity in a sport at a 6A school. There are several Avon kids also playing at different schools (I can off hand name kids at Danville, Plainfield, Covenant Christian, Ritter, and Cathedral), so we get some attrition that way as well.  (And that works both ways, I can also name multiple Plainfield kids playing football and other sports at Avon).  Point being, you are correct, I could easily point out 20-25 kids at Avon HS that would be assets to the football program had they continued playing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gaby said:

There are definitely good athletes at Avon that have chosen for whatever reason not to continue to play football after rec league, Jr Orioles, middle school, freshman football, whatever experience they may have had as a younger kid.  Many of them do participate in other sports, and have dedicated themselves to that particular sport, since it is a large school and it takes darned near a full time commitment to play varsity in a sport at a 6A school. There are several Avon kids also playing at different schools (I can off hand name kids at Danville, Plainfield, Covenant Christian, Ritter, and Cathedral), so we get some attrition that way as well.  (And that works both ways, I can also name multiple Plainfield kids playing football and other sports at Avon).  Point being, you are correct, I could easily point out 20-25 kids at Avon HS that would be assets to the football program had they continued playing.

Still scratching my head as to why the fastest kid in Avon High School history (from CLAYTON, btw) can’t see the field at Wisconsin.

He’d be the fastest athlete in the Big Ten right now has he chosen to focus on track...

Looks like they moved him to RB (odd move, but whatever).  So if you're behind Jonathan Taylor, well, you probably aren't playing, LOL.  At least James and Fitzgerald seem to be getting PT at IU (can't say for sure how much since I don't watch much IU football).

10 minutes ago, gaby said:

Looks like they moved him to RB (odd move, but whatever).  So if you're behind Jonathan Taylor, well, you probably aren't playing, LOL.  At least James and Fitzgerald seem to be getting PT at IU (can't say for sure how much since I don't watch much IU football).

Correct but they have won three games in blowout fashion and scored 145 points yet he has not gotten one carry...

He’s not just behind Taylor...

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Exactly. Plus, the defending champs still have a lot of talent, especially on offense with a QB going to James Madison and a 6'4 WR going to Miami(OH). They tore up a solid Evansville Memorial defense last year.

8 hours ago, gaby said:

Great post! I didn't want to seem like I was singling out Avon either. This holds true for just about any High School across the State and in other States. Avon was talked about in earlier threads so I used them as an example. There are also gifted athletes at High Schools not playing football because they don't have the grades to play or have got in with the wrong crowd. There are multiple reasons that could be attributed, ultimately though the Coaches at High Schools are perfectly happy having the kids that do want to play.

I might also add since I am on the subject of Avon. Coach Bless is one of my favorite Head Coaches, great coach and great person. I wish him and the Orioles all the best in the rest of their season and would love to see them get to the State Title game!