Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

We are just past the half and 3A is a tough class. I have posted the latest sagarin, but this obviously could/will change.

CLASS 3A
CLASS
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH RANK
RECENT
RATING   RANK
PREDICTOR
RATING   RANK
1 8 Indianapolis Chatard 101.97 77.81 23 100.48 9 102.55 7
2 17 West Lafayette 93.07 60.50 63 91.35 15 93.32 17
3 33 Mishawaka Marian 78.43 45.17 135 78.85 32 78.64 31
4 36 Brebeuf Jesuit 76.88 67.12 35 78.54 33 76.23 37
5 38 Guerin Catholic 76.21 67.23 34 80.28 27 75.41 40
6 52 Heritage Hills 71.57 38.40 175 72.03 50 71.30 53
7 56 Gibson Southern 69.50 27.09 251 68.79 57 69.67 57
8 73 Brownstown Central 64.05 38.59 173 65.47 70 63.90 74
9 79 Lawrenceburg 62.40 42.41 143 62.76 79 63.18 77
10 83 Southridge 61.85 34.69 200 64.59 72 61.35 84

A few observations:

1) Sectional 28 is brutal: #s 1, 2, 4, and 5

2) Section 32 looks to be tightening with Gibson, Heritage, and Southridge

3) Top 5 on one side, #s6-10 on the other...interesting

4) Does recent Indian Creek transfers impact Sectonal 29

5) Any insight on Mishawaka?

5) Big games this week: Heritage vs. Gibson, Chatard vs. Guerin

Welcome any/all comments. Hope the second half is as exciting as the first half!

• Like 2

That draw in 28 will be very anticipated  

Yorktown has a valid 3a team, but also get overlooked with how loaded that sectional is.  

In a perfect world you could see 

WL vs Crawfordsville 

Guerin vs North Mont

Brebeuf vs Yorktown

Chatard vs Heights 

You could also see

Chatard vs WL

Brebeuf vs Guerin 

Yorktown vs Heights

Crawfordsville vs North Mont 

• Like 2

As a graduate of Yorktown, you can never sleep on them in the sectional. A NORMALLY tough conference schedule helps prepare the Tigers. Coach Wilhelm is pretty good at getting them Playoff ready. They also have an extremely talented group of skilled players this year.

No doubt this is likely the toughest sectional in the state top to bottom. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

We are just past the half and 3A is a tough class. I have posted the latest sagarin, but this obviously could/will change.

CLASS 3A
CLASS
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH RANK
RECENT
RATING   RANK
PREDICTOR
RATING   RANK
1 8 Indianapolis Chatard 101.97 77.81 23 100.48 9 102.55 7
2 17 West Lafayette 93.07 60.50 63 91.35 15 93.32 17
3 33 Mishawaka Marian 78.43 45.17 135 78.85 32 78.64 31
4 36 Brebeuf Jesuit 76.88 67.12 35 78.54 33 76.23 37
5 38 Guerin Catholic 76.21 67.23 34 80.28 27 75.41 40
6 52 Heritage Hills 71.57 38.40 175 72.03 50 71.30 53
7 56 Gibson Southern 69.50 27.09 251 68.79 57 69.67 57
8 73 Brownstown Central 64.05 38.59 173 65.47 70 63.90 74
9 79 Lawrenceburg 62.40 42.41 143 62.76 79 63.18 77
10 83 Southridge 61.85 34.69 200 64.59 72 61.35 84

A few observations:

1) Sectional 28 is brutal: #s 1, 2, 4, and 5

2) Section 32 looks to be tightening with Gibson, Heritage, and Southridge

3) Top 5 on one side, #s6-10 on the other...interesting

4) Does recent Indian Creek transfers impact Sectonal 29

5) Any insight on Mishawaka?

5) Big games this week: Heritage vs. Gibson, Chatard vs. Guerin

Welcome any/all comments. Hope the second half is as exciting as the first half!

1) Agree

2) Maybe not as brutal as Sect. 28 but in it's own right, brutal!!

4) Yes big time.  They may be the favorite now in their sect.

5) Not sure how a team is ranked so high playing a schedule with a win loss record of 7-18.  I guess just because you play 4A schools??

5)Next two weeks for HH are against GS and SR!!

3A in my opinion is the best class in the state!! 

• Like 1

I've looked at sectional alignments before, using an approach called the "split line method". The origin of this approach is to come up with a fair way to map out voting districts and prevent gerrymandering.

Sectional 28 has been of interest for many years, because it's always filled with 3 or 4 teams that could be state finalists.

In the past when I've looked at Sectional 28, it has actually looked pretty fair. The current alignment is pretty close, but there is one questionable pair of teams.

Using the Split Line method:

• Bishop Chatard should have been in Sectional 29 (and in the south).
  • Tri-West Hendricks should have been in Sectional 28 (and in the north).

Without getting too in depth into the split line method, the starting point is to draw the shortest line that breaks districts (or in this case football teams) into half. In the state of Indiana, the shortest line you can draw to separate 64 teams in half is a straight line running from the eastern border to the western border.

sectional28.png.345d03cd888263a1550383b6ac7b2cfc.png

In 3A, that line would run north of Chatard and south of Tri-West Hendricks.

Tri-West should be in sectional 28 (and the northern semi-state).

Chatard should be in sectional 29 (and the sourthern semi-state).

Having said all of that... I'll never forget the outcome of Sectional 28 back in 2016. That was the year that Guerin, Chatard and Brebeuf were all in the same sectional and were considered 3 of the top 5 or 6 teams in the state. Guerin drew Tri-West and Brebeuf drew Chatard and many people were talking about how crazy that was. 

In the end:

• Tri-West went off on Guerin 35-3 in round 1. 
  • Chatard beat Brebeuf and Tri-West and then lost to Danville. (Who I think was unranked at the time).
  • Danville lost to Lawrenceburg in the regional... i.e. Sectional 28 ended up having no impact on the state finals situation.

But... I think Chatard will have a pretty big impact on the 3A post-season this year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Foobird said:

In 3A, that line would run north of Chatard and south of Tri-West Hendricks.

Tri-West should be in sectional 28 (and the northern semi-state).

Chatard should be in sectional 29 (and the sourthern semi-state).

I think most logical people agree with this.  And I also think most logical people know how 28 got drawn.

It's been a long time since my stats classes.  What's the probability of Chatard blindly-drawing Guerin or Brebeuf as a first round opponent?  Is it as simple as 2 out of 7?

I wish the IHSAA would do regional assignments instead of sectional assignments and then seed those teams in each regional.

Distance is almost irrelevant now with assignments. I mean Gibson southern and Princeton are 9 miles apart or so and they could potentially meet in semi state if both were fortunate enough to make it that far 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think most logical people agree with this.  And I also think most logical people know how 28 got drawn.

It's been a long time since my stats classes.  What's the probability of Chatard blindly-drawing Guerin or Brebeuf as a first round opponent?  Is it as simple as 2 out of 7?

I would like to better understand "how 28 got drawn" - probably just my ignorance, but it seems there is an implication here....

36 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

I would like to better understand "how 28 got drawn" - probably just my ignorance, but it seems there is an implication here....

Just be thankful that Evansville Memorial moved up a class or they would have put them in that sectional too. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

That draw in 28 will be very anticipated  

Yorktown has a valid 3a team, but also get overlooked with how loaded that sectional is.  

In a perfect world you could see 

WL vs Crawfordsville 

Guerin vs North Mont

Brebeuf vs Yorktown

Chatard vs Heights 

You could also see

Chatard vs WL

Brebeuf vs Guerin 

Yorktown vs Heights

Crawfordsville vs North Mont 

In a perfect world you would see

Chatard vs. Crawfordsville

Guerin Catholic vs. Yorktown

Brebeuf vs. North Montgomery

West Lafayette vs. Hamilton Heights

If you seeded the teams, the seeds would be

1.  Chatard

2.  West Lafayette

3.  Brebeuf

4.  Guerin Catholic

5.  Yorktown

6.  North Montgomery

7.  Hamilton Heights

8.  Crawfordsville

I have Chatard seeded #1 because their blowout wins over Brebeuf and Southport are better wins than any wins West Lafayette has on its resume so far, and Chatard’s loss to Cathedral is more impressive than West Lafayette’s loss to Lafayette Jeff.

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I wish the IHSAA would do regional assignments instead of sectional assignments and then seed those teams in each regional.

Distance is almost irrelevant now with assignments. I mean Gibson southern and Princeton are 9 miles apart or so and they could potentially meet in semi state if both were fortunate enough to make it that far 

I can’t figure out why Princeton and Gibson Southern aren’t in the same sectional, especially considering they are the only football playing high schools in Gibson County and the fact that the IHSAA likes to keep geographic rivals in the same sectional, like Fishers and Hamilton SE, LC and LN, and Southport and Perry Meridian.  So I guess Princeton and Gibson Southern aren’t in the same sectional because the people at the IHSAA who put the sectionals together either failed geography class or were just too lazy to put together more geographically-accurate sectionals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

I can’t figure out why Princeton and Gibson Southern aren’t in the same sectional, especially considering they are the only football playing high schools in Gibson County and the fact that the IHSAA likes to keep geographic rivals in the same sectional, like Fishers and Hamilton SE, LC and LN, and Southport and Perry Meridian.  So I guess Princeton and Gibson Southern aren’t in the same sectional because the people at the IHSAA who put the sectionals together either failed geography class or were just too lazy to put together more geographically-accurate sectionals.

We are all confused lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

We are all confused lol

The IHSAA says it starts from one of the four corners of the state and groups sectionals on a four cycle basis. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Transparency should be of utmost importance in alignments and tournament draws. I believe the coaches' association is the only entity capable of applying that pressure. 

Strange to imagine Chatard used to be in the same regional as the SW 3A sectional (24, now 32). Obviously, the population in northern Indiana is pushing the line northward... Maybe time to look at random semistate and regional draws, instead of preset ones... 

17 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

I actually think the sectionals make perfect sense. The only thing that is confusing is why sectional 31 isn't sectional 30 and vice versa. 

5 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

I actually think the sectionals make perfect sense. The only thing that is confusing is why sectional 31 isn't sectional 30 and vice versa. 

Speaking of Sectional 30.........the injustice of some things.  Sectional 28 an absolute meat grinder.  Sectional 32, with 3 top 10 teams.  Sectional 31 has some stiff competition top to bottom................and then you have a sectional like 31 with one team having a winning record.  I know the schools have no choice in the matter, but the irony of it all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

The Tri West AD served on the 3A alignment comittee!  Probably should have worried about what his HC was doing more than trying to weasel their way into an easier sectional! 

• Like 1

It is crazy to think that out of 8 sectionals and 64 teams that there currently are no top 15 ranked teams in 2 of those - 27 and 30. And 4 of top 5 in one sectional AND 7 of 10 in two sectional AND 12 of 15 in 4 sectionals. 

Just a bit out of balance, but it is what it is and it will make for some very good early contests come playoff time. Still too early, but its starting to become clear - 3A is gonna be tough!

2 minutes ago, Letterkenny Irish said:

The Tri West AD served on the 3A alignment comittee!  Probably should have worried about what his HC was doing more than trying to weasel their way into an easier sectional! 

Classic

31 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Speaking of Sectional 30.........the injustice of some things.  Sectional 28 an absolute meat grinder.  Sectional 32, with 3 top 10 teams.  Sectional 31 has some stiff competition top to bottom................and then you have a sectional like 30 with one team having a winning record.  I know the schools have no choice in the matter, but the irony of it all.

The whole thing REEKS of politics and bias.

7 minutes ago, Letterkenny Irish said:

LOL 

KNOX:   Blue Collar community with equally blue collar coach :   All Coach Hendryx has done is win everywhere he has went   

http://pastfb.homestead.com/coaches/JohnHendryx.htm#loaded

Offensive system, similar to what RCHS does, Shotgun WIng T, maybe doing some undercenter double tight double wing, but not 100% sure on that.   His teams play hard, physical and they have nice facilities.   

Brownstown Central:  Also a Shotgun Wing T team, similar to RCHS ,  Coach May is OUTSTANDING, year in and year out.   This year looks to be the same.  

Hudl video:  Knox:  https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/37677/Boys-Varsity-Football/videos

Brownstown:  https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/37285/Boys-Varsity-Football/videos

Edgewood:  https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/3776/Mustang-Football/videos

I can't speak to the others, but Brownstown Central is a team I was nervous about last year simply because we don't see any shotgun wing T so preparing is always a challenge.  They are well-coached, tough, and do what they do very well.  

1 hour ago, tango said:

I can't speak to the others, but Brownstown Central is a team I was nervous about last year simply because we don't see any shotgun wing T so preparing is always a challenge.  They are well-coached, tough, and do what they do very well.  

Oh come on....you guys weren't worried about anything except hotel room rates in Indy last year!!!!