Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Leave Your Drones at Home for the Tourney

IHSAA Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone) Policy 

1. Prohibition at IHSAA Tournament Series events: The use of an unmanned aerial vehicle (“UAV”), also known as a drone, at or about an IHSAA Tournament Series site during (or within 30 minutes of) an IHSAA Tournament Series event is prohibited. 

2. IHSAA Tournament Series host’s responsibility: The host of an IHSAA Tournament Series site shall refuse admission or entry to anyone possessing, using or attempting to use a UAV, or shall remove from an IHSAA Tournament Series site anyone possessing, using or attempting to use a UAV; alternatively, the host may confiscate the UAV until the IHSAA Tournament Series event has been completed. 

3. Exception by Commissioner: The Commissioner may, in his/herabsolute discretion, permit a party, such as an IHSAA broadcasting partner for broadcasting purposes, to possess and use a UAV at an IHSAA Tournament Series.

2 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

How will any venue be able to enforce this rule when people offsite fly drones over the field?  I'm sure if a person is on the school's campus this rule could be enforced.  But how can they enforce this when people are off campus?  Shotguns maybe? 😉

Target practice?

Skeet shooting?

52 minutes ago, Bobref said:
IHSAA Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone) Policy 

1. Prohibition at IHSAA Tournament Series events: The use of an unmanned aerial vehicle (“UAV”), also known as a drone, at or about an IHSAA Tournament Series site during (or within 30 minutes of) an IHSAA Tournament Series event is prohibited. 

2. IHSAA Tournament Series host’s responsibility: The host of an IHSAA Tournament Series site shall refuse admission or entry to anyone possessing, using or attempting to use a UAV, or shall remove from an IHSAA Tournament Series site anyone possessing, using or attempting to use a UAV; alternatively, the host may confiscate the UAV until the IHSAA Tournament Series event has been completed. 

3. Exception by Commissioner: The Commissioner may, in his/herabsolute discretion, permit a party, such as an IHSAA broadcasting partner for broadcasting purposes, to possess and use a UAV at an IHSAA Tournament Series.

This will not go well with our Ag Department during harvest!

We had an interesting situation in a lower level game Saturday. Apparently there is an avid RC flyer just to the west of the field we were playing on. The planes never were actually over the facility, but it was pretty cool to watch. Dude even had an RC jet. The home team coaches told me the previous week officials wouldn't allow play until they stopped flying. While it was completely visible, in my estimation they were far enough away not to cause a safety concern. 

Looked very similar to this:

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

How will any venue be able to enforce this rule when people offsite fly drones over the field?  I'm sure if a person is on the school's campus this rule could be enforced.  But how can they enforce this when people are off campus?  Shotguns maybe? 😉

I believe the IHSAA is developing laser anti-drone technology. They should be able to equip all tourney venues at the Regional level and above by 2022.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

If we can count on the IHSAA for anything, it is to make exceptions to their rules for the benefit of certain members or partners.

All of which benefit the member schools financially. Just say “thank you,” coach.

10 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

The inclusion of #3 undermines the justification for #1 & #2.

That presumes you know what that justification was. What do you think it was?

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Can you guys imagine the footage that could be gathered by using a drone to film a football game from above? It would be so awesome. I'm surprised more high school teams don't use drones to gather practice footage to review later. 

I'd look e heck of a lot thinner, but then again, I'd lose all my height.

Upon further review, ban drones.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I believe the IHSAA is developing laser anti-drone technology. They should be able to equip all tourney venues at the Regional level and above by 2022.

Now if they could just develop technology to figure out how to seed a sectional, we'd be all set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sit and spin 1

3 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Can you guys imagine the footage that could be gathered by using a drone to film a football game from above? It would be so awesome. I'm surprised more high school teams don't use drones to gather practice footage to review later. 

Some do...

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

That presumes you know what that justification was. What do you think it was?

I admit, I don't know the justification for the policy.  I assumed it was either 1) safety concerns, or 2) ensuring compliance with FAA regulations (no flying over groups, no flying over sporting events/stadiums).

I just wouldn't want to be an FAA-licensed hobbyist told that I couldn't capture video for my school in a compliant manner just because I wasn't an IHSAA broadcast partner.  Now, the exemption may be granted for anyone holding an FAA license, but I'm skeptical.

1 minute ago, kdets89 said:

I admit, I don't know the justification for the policy.  I assumed it was either 1) safety concerns, or 2) ensuring compliance with FAA regulations (no flying over groups, no flying over sporting events/stadiums).

I just wouldn't want to be an FAA-licensed hobbyist told that I couldn't capture video for my school in a compliant manner just because I wasn't an IHSAA broadcast partner.  Now, the exemption may be granted for anyone holding an FAA license, but I'm skeptical.

There is another possible justification ... which would explain why it only applies in the tournament:  the IHSAA owns exclusive broadcast rights to the tournament games. A drone that could take pictures, or stream video, would potentially conflict with that, and decrease the value of the IHSAA’s broadcast rights. I assume that whatever contract the IHSAA has with its broadcast partners obliges it to take reasonable steps  to safeguard the exclusivity of the product.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:23 PM, Bobref said:

There is another possible justification ... which would explain why it only applies in the tournament:  the IHSAA owns exclusive broadcast rights to the tournament games. A drone that could take pictures, or stream video, would potentially conflict with that, and decrease the value of the IHSAA’s broadcast rights. I assume that whatever contract the IHSAA has with its broadcast partners obliges it to take reasonable steps  to safeguard the exclusivity of the product.

If that was true then smart phones need to be banned as I can do everything you mentioned with my phone.  Also, the IHSAA does NOT own the airspace the FAA does and as long as your are flying in compliant with the rules such as: line of sight to UAV, under 400 feet or lower defined by FAA class C or B airspace, not directly over people, not after sundown (unless you have anti-collision lighting then you can fly in civil twilight which is 30 minutes after official sunset or if you have obtained FAA nighttime Waiver) or if doing commercially have a Part 107 FAA UAV certification.   I understand the IHSAA most likely issued the notification for safety purposes but if one is flying in accordance with all the rules of the FAA then there is little the IHSAA can do about it.  Also, shooting a UAV down can be considered a federal offense so those who suggested that may want to rethink.

1 hour ago, SWIN1 said:

If that was true then smart phones need to be banned as I can do everything you mentioned with my phone.  Also, the IHSAA does NOT own the airspace the FAA does and as long as your are flying in compliant with the rules such as: line of sight to UAV, under 400 feet or lower defined by FAA class C or B airspace, not directly over people, not after sundown (unless you have anti-collision lighting then you can fly in civil twilight which is 30 minutes after official sunset or if you have obtained FAA nighttime Waiver) or if doing commercially have a Part 107 FAA UAV certification.   I understand the IHSAA most likely issued the notification for safety purposes but if one is flying in accordance with all the rules of the FAA then there is little the IHSAA can do about it.  Also, shooting a UAV down can be considered a federal offense so those who suggested that may want to rethink.

Are you aware that was a joke?

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

Are you aware that was a joke?

I believe there is case law regarding this dating back to the 40's which involved military avation. It is my understanding that your property extends upwards as far as you can reasonably use. If I hunt fowl on my property, it would certainly be easy to mistake a drone for a Northern honker 😉 

This is clearly an issue that needs to be addressed, but congress is currently tied up with "important" business of the day. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer

I have actually been researching our options for replacing our current methods of filming games with drone technology.  It seems that there are potentially several options that are significantly cheaper than the tower options that currently exist.  My assumption would be that if a member school petitioned to be able to do this, especially if it were due to cost saving measures, than it seems plausible.  I guess now I need to ask the questions before getting in too deep!