Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Tony Lewis, expected to be named new Jasper coach.

Thank god, an in house hire would have been a disaster. The board realized that keeping "in-house" in charge would essentially keep the program in the downward spiral. This community should have a contender every year in all sports. Their coaching choices over the past 10-15 years has been horrendous for a school of that size. way to go Jasper!  

23 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

How will a less "Japseresk" offense appeal to the die hard locals?    Or....as long as whatever is done produces Ws ...its all good?

Lewis had QB's when he was at Reitz, not sure what Jasper has coming at that position.  A change from the run would be welcome, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, SoIndRef said:

Not really sure how this will be received in the area.  A lot of people were hoping they would stay "in-house", but they decided to go a different direction.  

Hopefully he sticks around for a while.  He has jumped around a bit.

I wonder about this too.  Jasper is a very close-knit community.  It will certainly be interesting to see how things play out.  Personally, I think it is a great hire. Lewis had a heck of a run at Reitz.

15 hours ago, southend said:

This will be quick turn around for this program. I think it is a sleeping giant.

Im not so sure about that.  First I dont think he will stick around long enough and second, his success at Reitz was mainly becaause a once in a generation QB he had.  Well, 2 in a generation because we had the McIntosh brothers back to back.  But Lewis only coached Matt.  When that was gone here the success went down and followe dhim to Henderson.  4th job since he left here in 2012.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:50 PM, Titan32 said:

Nice Article. One point to be made. 

His first head coaching job came at Wheelersburg (Ohio) in 2002. After leaving Reitz in 2012, Lewis coached at Henderson County (Ky.), Crystal River (Fla.) and most recently at Richmond, near Lewis’s alma mater of South Putnam High School.

South Putnam is only 117 miles from Richmond. Not sure Coach Lewis was near his alma mater. I think he played for a great coach Mark Wildman. 

On 1/29/2019 at 8:55 AM, SoIndRef said:

Not really sure how this will be received in the area.  A lot of people were hoping they would stay "in-house", but they decided to go a different direction.  

Hopefully he sticks around for a while.  He has jumped around a bit.

Of course the in-house people were hoping they'd stay in-house, but all the out-house (no pun intended) people I have spoken to recently and in the past felt it was time for a regime change. Coach Ahrens was an exceptional  motivator,  leader and teacher, and always put the welfare of the kids first, and was a positive influence on the community as a whole. I hold him in the highest regard. Maybe he was too close to the community when it comes to the entitlement of the student athletes and parents, just an anecdotal observation. 

IMO HC at Jasper is a premier job in just about all their sports. Jasper football has been a dominant program in SW Indiana. Only .500 1 time dating back to 1994. Not sure any team around has been as consistent as Jasper over a long period of time. 

• Like 1