Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shelbyville on the brink of Contraction?

Guest DT

21 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Sounds like a bit of a mess.  So did the Shelbyville AD contact the New Palestine AD and basically say "Your team is too good and our team is too bad.  So we aren't coming to your place on 10/4, especially for a homecoming game.   Sorry about your luck."?

They're struggling thanks to a few years of a down feeder system, but are rebuilding at the elementary level and their numbers are up at the junior high. 

A large 4A school in a legacy community with a proud tradition IS NOT CONTRACTING despite DT's wishes to see fewer opportunities for Indiana high school football players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

IHSAA needs to get creative and Establish a rehab class for situations like this.  Frankfort, Crawfordsville, Shelbyville, Owen Valley,  and other mid size schools would benefit.  Basically give them the option to opt out of tournament.  And play games against similar competion.  It doesn’t  really help the good programs/teams to beat these schools to death.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, superjay said:

IHSAA needs to get creative and Establish a rehab class for situations like this.  Frankfort, Crawfordsville, Shelbyville, Owen Valley,  and other mid size schools would benefit.  Basically give them the option to opt out of tournament.  And play games against similar competion.  It doesn’t  really help the good programs/teams to beat these schools to death.

I'm thinking Frankfort needs to get out of the Sagamore conference and join the Hoosier Heartland.  After all they supposedly "weakened" their schedule by scheduling 1A Clinton Central in the first game of the season instead of Western and the result has been two season opening losses.

• Disdain 2

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I'm thinking Frankfort needs to get out of the Sagamore conference and join the Hoosier Heartland.  After all they supposedly "weakened" their schedule by scheduling 1A Clinton Central in the first game of the season instead of Western and the result has been two season opening losses.

They have the numbers.  Need to be coached up.

8 minutes ago, superjay said:

They have the numbers.  Need to be coached up.

Appear to be very few OMG! Athletes on the squad.  A lot of those are playing soccer.    And many of those "numbers" are playing tackle football for the first time.  Not a good combination for a supposed 4A school in a competitive conference like the Sagamore.

• Disdain 2

24 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

From what I hear Shelbyville at NewPalestine is back on due to NP being unable to find an opponent.

Ok, so NOW can we make final score projections?

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

They're struggling thanks to a few years of a down feeder system, but are rebuilding at the elementary level and their numbers are up at the junior high. 

A large 4A school in a legacy community with a proud tradition IS NOT CONTRACTING despite DT's wishes to see fewer opportunities for Indiana high school football players. 

Not sure what you mean as a legacy community ?                              What proud tradition do they hold ?

1 hour ago, superjay said:

Play down is NO WAY to build a program. It creates false hope. Coach the kid in a scheme that they can win in. I haven't seen the team play since their last coach but if I had to guess they are trying to run some sort of spread. correct me if I am wrong. Please

• Like 1

Could it have been an out of state program?

4 minutes ago, XStar said:

Who did NP think they had lined up?  Can't be many programs that would even consider the notion of adding such a road game a week in advance.  

18 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

I literally about posted this to you the other night. These have to be record numbers on the points allowed vs points scored. It’s like 325-7 on the year 

These are historically bad numbers.  The worst we have ever seen of any contraction candidate.

Shelbytucky should really consider shutting down the program.  Clearly the community has changed and football is not on the priority list.  Why even make the investments needed when it clearly is not valued by either the students, the faculty or the administration?.  Couldnt those valuable dollars be spent on other worthwhile activities that will benefit a much higher percentage of kids who attend the school?  Sometimes, contraction is just not about football, its about the ancillary benefits realized by other members of the student body.  

24 minutes ago, XStar said:

Who did NP think they had lined up?  Can't be many programs that would even consider the notion of adding such a road game a week in advance.  

I heard NP was trying to get Jasper to come up for homecoming. ADs we’re trying to get better games for both team’s abilities. Eastern Green, North Decatur, and Jasper all currently have Week 7 byes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DT said:

These are historically bad numbers.  The worst we have ever seen of any contraction candidate.

Shelbytucky should really consider shutting down the program.  Clearly the community has changed and football is not on the priority list.  Why even make the investments needed when it clearly is not valued by either the students, the faculty or the administration?.  Couldnt those valuable dollars be spent on other worthwhile activities that will benefit a much higher percentage of kids who attend the school?  Sometimes, contraction is just not about football, its about the ancillary benefits realized by other members of the student body.  

Not sure 2 awful seasons rises to level of contraction.   The 3 seasons prior were 7-3, 7-3, and 9-2.  Granted no deep tournament runs but those are good years.  It's pretty clear if they find a good coach they can compete. 

18 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I heard NP was trying to get Jasper to come up for homecoming. ADs we’re trying to get better games for both team’s abilities. Eastern Green, North Decatur, and Jasper all currently have Week 7 byes.

I heard the same. Not that the Jasper game would've been competitive either but not the ridiculous mismatch Shelbyville will be

• Like 1