Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I love a rainy night

Swell song by Eddie Rabbitt.  Also could be the weather conditions tonight in NWI.  To make matters worse, I saw at least 5 lightning strikes as I piloted the Gippermobile from Q (great BBQ) south to Casa de Gipper.  Stay safe out there tonight, fellow Rats.

• Like 2

Just now, SL816 said:

My age says old school, but I prefer the new school fields. Our crew will be on one of the few grass fields left in The Region. We're not mudders. Rain, rain go away..........

I’m a mudder. LOVE it. 

1 hour ago, SL816 said:

My age says old school, but I prefer the new school fields. Our crew will be on one of the few grass fields left in The Region. We're not mudders. Rain, rain go away..........

Alteast it won't be as bad as '95 griffith and Hobart......

2 minutes ago, Knight82 said:

Thunder and lightning and rain in ..NCI too.  Mishawaka - EC postponed to tomorrow.  Hoping Bremen @ Marian still goes tonight!

Checked Accu-Weather, should stop in Lake County around 7:00 pm CDT, which means it’s headed East—good luck!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FWfootball10 said:

Does any referee or coach here know what the policy is on game cancellations or postponements? Here in Fort Wayne it looks like the lightning is supposed to stop around 9:00 tonight. I know in various sports the general rule is a half hour after the last visible lightning strike I believe. 

Until the game actually starts, it’s in the hands of game management. Once the game starts, the guy in the white hat has complete control over whether conditions are safe to play. If the game is suspended, the determination of how late we can restart, once the referee says conditions are safe, also belongs to game management. 

This is from the NF policy:

a. When thunder is heard or lightning is seen*, the leading edge of the thunderstorm is close enough to strike your location with lightning. Suspend play for at least 30 minutes and vacate the outdoor activity to the previously designated safer location immediately.

b. 30-minute rule. Once play has been suspended, wait at least 30 minutes after the last thunder is heard or lightning is witnessed* prior to resuming play.

c. Any subsequent thunder or lightning* after the beginning of the 30-minute count will reset the clock and another 30-minute count should begin.”

* – At night, under certain atmospheric conditions, lightning flashes may be seen from distant storms. In these cases, it may be safe to continue an event. If no thunder can be heard and the flashes are low on the horizon, the storm may not pose a threat. Independently verified lightning detection information would help eliminate any uncertainty.