Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Monrovia vs Beech Grove postponed due to no officials

1 hour ago, CGFan2017 said:

Don't understand how this happens

Don’t get it either. These aren’t Podunk schools in the middle of nowhere.

Double booking? Guess the crew assigned to this game got a better gig elsewhere?

But as you said, “Don’t understand how this happens”

• Like 1

This is unreal!  If you confirm that you are going to do something, at least have the character to follow through with it.  If you sign a contract, you fulfill that contract, period!  If you are going to weasel out of it, at least have the character to communicate that like an adult.  This is a compete lack of professionalism!  I know you're thinking about making a few extra dollars, however, at least think about the hundreds of people you inconvenienced.  More importantly, think about the young men you left hanging that were just wanting to compete.  If you don't have your word, you don't have much.  If you were supposed to ref the game, and have another side of the story, please communicate that here before your names are posted and you're put on blast!

54 minutes ago, ts32 said:

Don’t get it either. These aren’t Podunk schools in the middle of nowhere.

Double booking? Guess the crew assigned to this game got a better gig elsewhere?

But as you said, “Don’t understand how this happens”

Then you shouldn’t assume the crew “got a better gig elsewhere.”

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Then you shouldn’t assume the crew “got a better gig elsewhere.”

All due respect Bobref, I wasn’t “assuming” anything... merely questioning how this even happened?

The original post said “due to IHSAA Officials double booking a game.” What am I supposed to infer?

18 minutes ago, ts32 said:

All due respect Bobref, I wasn’t “assuming” anything... merely questioning how this even happened?

The original post said “due to IHSAA Officials double booking a game.” What am I supposed to infer?

I have no knowledge of it but it sounds suspicious to me. Booked and confirmed? If someone were to double book they wouldn’t confirm to a school they were coming and then not show up. If there were double booked then they had the tell them before hand or how would they release that they were double booked? It doesn’t add up. Either way hopefully they get the game In tomorrow 

Double booking happens because crews contract games directly with ADs. Most aren't assigned by a third party. Records are sometimes loosely kept and sometimes lost if there is crew turnover. These games are also booked years in advance (we have a game in 2025 booked already) so the 5 guys on the crew now aren't necessarily the same when the game was booked. When crews split up sometimes they agree to take a set of games and there could have been a miscommunication.

We had a game on our schedule a couple years we planned to work but were contacted by another school in the Spring (VERY smart by the AD!) we were still coming and we didn't have it on our schedule. Our referee found the email where he confirmed it and it was before we confirmed the other game. It was a miscommunication on his part. He asked me if we were open and we were at the time, but he never confirmed with me that he took the game. We took the game confirmed first and found another crew for the other game before contacting them. The AD was very happy he still had a crew and had no issue with it.

Confirmed here could mean the crew accepted it 5 years ago. It could also mean the AD confirmed earlier this week with the crew and they still failed to show. That is unethical and could be dealt with harshly.

This happens often with schools too. They book 2 crews for a game and sometimes the crew doesn't find out until the week of the game. The schools often pay both crews if they recognize the mistake was theirs, but the other crew doesn't always get another game on short notice.

Edited by JustRules
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

Double booking happens because crews contract games directly with ADs. Most aren't assigned by a third party. Records are sometimes loosely kept and sometimes lost if there is crew turnover. These games are also booked years in advance (we have a game in 2025 booked already) so the 5 guys on the crew now aren't necessarily the same when the game was booked. When crews split up sometimes they agree to take a set of games and there could have been a miscommunication.

We had a game on our schedule a couple years we planned to work but were contacted by another school in the Spring (VERY smart by the AD!) we were still coming and we didn't have it on our schedule. Our referee found the email where he confirmed it and it was before we confirmed the other game. It was a miscommunication on his part. He asked me if we were open and we were at the time, but he never confirmed with me that he took the game. We took the game confirmed first and found another crew for the other game before contacting them. The AD was very happy he still had a crew and had no issue with it.

Confirmed here could mean the crew accepted it 5 years ago. It could also mean the AD confirmed earlier this week with the crew and they still failed to show. That is unethical and could be dealt with harshly.

This happens often with schools too. They book 2 crews for a game and sometimes the crew doesn't find out until the week of the game. The schools often pay both crews if they recognize the mistake was theirs, but the other crew doesn't always get another game on short notice.

Exactly why you should not infer anything from the mere fact that officials, for some reason, didn’t show up.

• Like 1

The refs confirmed three weeks ago.  Not assuming this, heard it directly from the Athletic Director on the field as we were trying to figure out what to do.  He also told me that he had confirmed with one of them last Monday.  How does one confirm and not show up?   

8 minutes ago, Hornetcoach said:

The refs confirmed three weeks ago.  Not assuming this, heard it directly from the Athletic Director on the field as we were trying to figure out what to do.  He also told me that he had confirmed with one of them last Monday.  How does one confirm and not show up?   

That’s a great question!!!!! Still sounds strange all around. Bad situation for all involved. Was it a crew or individuals?